Will Lewis and O'Brien be our key forward solution for the foreseeable future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Patton seems a certainty for us, and is yet to play 100 games. I'm certain if he comes, and if he stays fit that he'll figure long-term.

We take on key position players with a history of serious injuries because we've got the best rehabilitation guy in the afl. Obviously O'meara etc, are assessed and if we can rebuild them, we get gun players at bargain prices. Patton is just another example of this. It keeps us up around the premiership window and some could argue a gamble on this has has better odds than taking a punt on a high draft pick, who is an untested teenager. We have room in our forward line for two talks. Despite the conjecture buddy and rough did this successfully as did Mooney and hawkins. As long as the leading patterns are established one compliments the other.

Why would we even get Patton? Seems like a waste to me. He's not even that good and incredibly injury prone. The obsession on this board is strange
Thinking you can mount a successful flag campaign with only Lewis (20 yrs old) & Timmy O'Brien (60 games) as KPF is strange...

It's also strange that posters on this board go on & on about his injury history as if the Club somehow isn't aware of it or haven't been talking closely with him for close to 12 months.

There's nothing in it for us to get Patton if we're not very confident (at a minimum) that his knees are going to sustain the role that we have in mind for him.

Thought TOB was gone untill round 15.

I think with Maybe Patton coming in it puts pressure on Nash, He came in looking like a young gun, was found out quickly but has added some despiration into his game.

Lewis can be a 50 goal a game forward but he needs a dynamic player around him

Thought TOB was gone untill round 15.

I think with Maybe Patton coming in it puts pressure on Nash, He came in looking like a young gun, was found out quickly but has added some despiration into his game.

Lewis can be a 50 goal a game forward but he needs a dynamic player around him
Holy s*** - we're gonna smash the next 10x Flags if he can stay on the Park!!!!!

For Mine, Timmy “Almost” is Timmy perfect as the 3rd tall down back... as long as he cleans up his passes (Rance was terrible when trying to make offensive kicks and so he chose to always go safe on his kicks... TOB needs to do that)

Besides Mitch Lewis (who other club’s recruiters are in awe of the Hawks for finding) we current don’t have a target in the forward line beyond our ruckman.

Maybe Fisher McAsey is our long term goal.

For mine, Kosi is our go.

Last edited:
O'Brien deserved a new contract extension. However he is NOT capable of holding down a key position spot. He plays more like a tall flanker. Due to his injury history and inconsistency he's not a lock for a best 22 spot next year depending on the off-season arrivals.
Point of order: TOB has not had a bad injury history. He has been mostly injury free.
That said, I agree he cannot hold down a KP.
But he can mark (when not under pressure) and he can spoil. I am unsure but maybe he can beat his man

Thinking you can mount a successful flag campaign with only Lewis (20 yrs old) & Timmy O'Brien (60 games) as KPF is strange...

It's also strange that posters on this board go on & on about his injury history as if the Club somehow isn't aware of it or haven't been talking closely with him for close to 12 months.

There's nothing in it for us to get Patton if we're not very confident (at a minimum) that his knees are going to sustain the role that we have in mind for him.
Agreed. None of us know s**t. Here is a stupid idea....

Maybe Patten wanted out and has been faking injuries for a year... with Scully, Coniglio, and Whitfield all in on the game to get to the Hawks.

ALL OF THIS IS STUPID CONJECTURE FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS NOTHING.

But Damn, it may come to pass. 😂

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patton did his knee early July 2018. He will be over a year and half out of the game by the time round one kicks off in 2020. I have my fingers crossed the extra recovery time and the fact he has stripped some weight off might help him finally get some continuity into his football. If he can end up being as valuable a contributor as Hale it is a good result.

If our engine room of Cogs?, Mitchell and Worps can generate quick inside entries we will suddenly have the marking power to compliment that. Gunston, ML, Patton, TOB all being solid contested marks is a massive relief, given the last few seasons of playing Poppy as a KPF.

Mitchell Lewis is looking like he will become our KPF pillar for the future - and what a relief that is.

We have been crying out for essentially a whole entire KPP spine to come through the ranks, and at least now we have one KPF position locked down. To get one piece for such a late pick too just makes it that much easier for us to makes moves moving forward.

I think O'Brien is more suited to a flank role, or a third tall role.

Patton did his knee early July 2018. He will be over a year and half out of the game by the time round one kicks off in 2020. I have my fingers crossed the extra recovery time and the fact he has stripped some weight off might help him finally get some continuity into his football. If he can end up being as valuable a contributor as Hale it is a good result.

If our engine room of Cogs?, Mitchell and Worps can generate quick inside entries we will suddenly have the marking power to compliment that. Gunston, ML, Patton, TOB all being solid contested marks is a massive relief, given the last few seasons of playing Poppy as a KPF.
Scary, isn't it? When was the last time Hawks had that much marking power in the forward line?

Scary, isn't it? When was the last time Hawks had that much marking power in the forward line?
The Hawks have had some great marks over the years but it was not really a hallmark of our recent successes. It looks like that could all change really soon.

Without thinking too hard our best mark in recent times was probably Brian Lake!

We take on key position players with a history of serious injuries because we've got the best rehabilitation guy in the afl. Obviously O'meara etc, are assessed and if we can rebuild them, we get gun players at bargain prices. Patton is just another example of this. It keeps us up around the premiership window and some could argue a gamble on this has has better odds than taking a punt on a high draft pick, who is an untested teenager. We have room in our forward line for two talks. Despite the conjecture buddy and rough did this successfully as did Mooney and hawkins. As long as the leading patterns are established one compliments the other.

Which injury prone kpp did we trade in to find success? Lake?

Last edited:
So O'Brien finishes the season with 12 goals in the last 5 games (after not kicking a goal before that).

12 in 5 over a whole season is the equivalent of a 50+ goal year.

Both Lewis and OBrien have emerged in the second half of the year AFTER we seemingly held talks with Pattons management. Does our approach change? Do we still go after Patton? if not, would it change your view of we already made a verbal commitment?

or is a 5 game sample simply not enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back