Will low-carb protein shakes make me fat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blood Bath

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2012
Norf Shore of Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich, Detroit Pistons
Over the summer I decided to hit the gym a fair bit. I'm not aiming to bulk, I'm mainly working on getting my muscles bigger and in good tone. I'm naturally quite a big, built person, not fat though. If I go to gym and take a low fat, low-carb protein shake post workout (Musashi low-carb, over 20G protein per serve, fat total 1.7g 200ml w/ water, 2g 250ml w/ skim milk). If I start taking this shake say 3 times a week after each workout, will it make me fat? Sorry I'm quite the rookie when it comes to the gym, supplements, protein powders etc. Any feedback will be appreciated. Cheers

If you currently eat slightly under your BMR and you don't plan to alter your diet in any other way, than you will get fatter if you also don't exercise.

Protein powder is a food. You can replace it essentially with any protein source.

So to reword your question:

"Will eating chicken breast make me fat?"

Answer to that is if you overeat in your *daily* amount of food, yes you'll gain weight. If you undereat in your *daily* total, you'll lose weight. If you eat exactly the right amount you'll maintain.

The answer is exactly the same for protein powder. Nothing magical about it, it's simply an easy/convenient food source based on protein.

Convenient as it doesn't require cooking, doesn't require to be refrigerated and it's quick to consume. Also allows you to measure easily to the gram rather than meat that comes in pre-determined sizes.

If you simply increased your meat intake and didn't take protein powder the body will react exactly the same way as taking the powder.

Protein powder is a food. You can replace it essentially with any protein source.

So to reword your question:

"Will eating chicken breast make me fat?"

Answer to that is if you overeat in your *daily* amount of food, yes you'll gain weight. If you undereat in your *daily* total, you'll lose weight. If you eat exactly the right amount you'll maintain.

The answer is exactly the same for protein powder. Nothing magical about it, it's simply an easy/convenient food source based on protein.

Convenient as it doesn't require cooking, doesn't require to be refrigerated and it's quick to consume. Also allows you to measure easily to the gram rather than meat that comes in pre-determined sizes.

If you simply increased your meat intake and didn't take protein powder the body will react exactly the same way as taking the powder.
Just the answer I needed, thanks mate.

Just the answer I needed, thanks mate.

Biggest function of carbs when dieting is to incorporate as many "low glycemic" options as possible. Avoiding refined white flour and sugar (see sweets, breads, batters) and having a healthy ratio of veggies/fruits/healthy carbs like oatmeal or flax really help. Incorporating good fats from sources like Fish Oil, Flax and omega-3 rich vegetables, poultry and eggs help with inflammation, which more and more seems to be a contributing factor in most diseases.

I've been working with eating leafy green veggies, nuts, beans, lean red meat, lean poultry and occasional shakes from a trusted source to meet my needs of low GI and high protein, as well as frequently lifting weights and running/cycling/body weight exercises at high tempo makes for a pretty good regime.

Best bet for you is to read up on low glycemic foods and strategies for eating throughout the day to keep your blood sugar from spiking too hard up or down. You'll be amazed how you feel after a few weeks of hard work.

High/Low GI of carbs doesn't really matter in dieting/losing weight - total calories are the most important.

The thing I noticed in experimenting on myself was when I transfered off of refined sugars and refined white flour products was that my stomach tightened up in about 3 days. Without going crazy on the booze, beer or back onto the processed carbs I noticed I was sleeping better, I had more energy at the gym etc.

Research for yourself, but this works for me and I am always looking for new ideas and new ways of thinking to improve. Ultimately you can count calories and feel thats enough, but the quality of the calories I feel is just as important.....sure I can eat 2400 cals of maccas a day and think I did a good job, but we all know thats hardly truth.

The thing I noticed in experimenting on myself was when I transfered off of refined sugars and refined white flour products was that my stomach tightened up in about 3 days. Without going crazy on the booze, beer or back onto the processed carbs I noticed I was sleeping better, I had more energy at the gym etc.

Research for yourself, but this works for me and I am always looking for new ideas and new ways of thinking to improve. Ultimately you can count calories and feel thats enough, but the quality of the calories I feel is just as important.....sure I can eat 2400 cals of maccas a day and think I did a good job, but we all know thats hardly truth.

Agreed, whilst weight loss can be narrowed down to simply calories in vs calories out, you need to take into consideration what calories are coming in. I have been on the Paleo diet since November, and i notice such a difference now when i eat fresh food as opposed to previously eating processed foods which along with dairy really upset my stomach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of interest, what carbs were you eating and how much were you consuming daily?

If you were taking low amounts or basically veges only it might be just your body flushing water out.

Just out of interest, what carbs were you eating and how much were you consuming daily?

If you were taking low amounts or basically veges only it might be just your body flushing water out.

Everything from pasta, oatmeal, cous cous, sweet potatoes, white rice, sushi rice, oatmeal bread, rolls at restaurants, waffles, pancakes, potatoes whole baked mashed or fried and so on. Still watching what I ate as far as calories but I noticed I'd eat a bagel in the AM w/ eggs at say 8am and by 10am I was starving. Through research and reading countless fitness blog posts, videos on youtube, magazine excerpts etc I decided to try for myself and noticed a big difference.

Everything from pasta, oatmeal, cous cous, sweet potatoes, white rice, sushi rice, oatmeal bread, rolls at restaurants, waffles, pancakes, potatoes whole baked mashed or fried and so on. Still watching what I ate as far as calories but I noticed I'd eat a bagel in the AM w/ eggs at say 8am and by 10am I was starving. Through research and reading countless fitness blog posts, videos on youtube, magazine excerpts etc I decided to try for myself and noticed a big difference.

Sorry i meant what carbs were you eating after the change (once you "transfered off of refined sugars and refined white flour").

Did you go from 400g day -> 50g? Or are you still eating high carbs, just more potatoes and more natural sources for example.

Just trying to work it out if the changes were related to dropping all carbs (transitioning into keto), or just dropping certain types of carbs (allergy/intolerance).

Lol at OP
"not aiming to bulk just get my muscles bigger" that is bulk dumb kent

And food is food count your s**t properly and you won't get fat
As I mentioned, I am a rookie when it comes to the gym. I thought bulking was putting on muscle and focussing on eating a lot of calories i.e. aiming to get a tad fat, and that's what I was worried about. So there's no need to insult.

Cheers for all the responses by the way guys. Appreciate it.

Sorry i meant what carbs were you eating after the change (once you "transfered off of refined sugars and refined white flour").

Did you go from 400g day -> 50g? Or are you still eating high carbs, just more potatoes and more natural sources for example.

Just trying to work it out if the changes were related to dropping all carbs (transitioning into keto), or just dropping certain types of carbs (allergy/intolerance).

So it keep it simple since I am not a pro athlete. I keep a 1:1:1 ratio of calories protein/fat/carbs. Based on a calorie requirement of 2250 calories I eat 750 calories of protein, 750 of fats and 750 of carbs. As we know 1g carbs/protein = 4 calories and 1g of fat, s = 9 calories.

But more to your original point I replaced the carbs I wanted to avoid with ones I wanted. Swapping toast, bagels or fried potatoes for oatmeal or whole grain homemade waffles. Replacing the saturated fats found in fried foods with omega 3 fats from fish, supplements or flax powders. Keep is simple and if you make good choices with your fats, proteins and carbs.

As I mentioned, I am a rookie when it comes to the gym. I thought bulking was putting on muscle and focussing on eating a lot of calories i.e. aiming to get a tad fat, and that's what I was worried about. So there's no need to insult.

Cheers for all the responses by the way guys. Appreciate it.
Different gym routines will offer different results as well. High reps will burn more calories and low reps with higher weight will make you bigger. High protein low fat/carbs will helpyou lose weight or reshape your body. Boost your immune system with Broccoli, Carrots will give fat burning L CArnitine, steam your veggies and grill your meat fish chicken. Lots of fresh fruit and some extra fibre will also help. Look at body shaping gym routines, there are pleny around

Different gym routines will offer different results as well. High reps will burn more calories and low reps with higher weight will make you bigger. High protein low fat/carbs will helpyou lose weight or reshape your body. Boost your immune system with Broccoli, Carrots will give fat burning L CArnitine, steam your veggies and grill your meat fish chicken. Lots of fresh fruit and some extra fibre will also help. Look at body shaping gym routines, there are pleny around

Please don't listen to any most of this!

1. Low reps will burn MORE calories than high reps.
2. Reshape your body :confused:
3. Body shaping gym routines?

Agree with the veggies and fiber, however the amount of ALC in carrots is very minimal, thus should not be a reason to eat carrots. I wouldn't worry too much on how you cook your meat, at the end of the day 50-60g of fat can be hard to achieve daily, especially if you aren't into nuts, so a bit of fat during cooking won't harm you.

I'm off for my 3am gym session now!

Please don't listen to any most of this!

1. Low reps will burn MORE calories than high reps. This explains the difference between sprinters and marathon runners
2. Reshape your body :confused: Yes, depends where your body stores the excess of unused carbs
3. Body shaping gym routines? Yep, targeted routines to get rid of a big ass or gut

Agree with the veggies and fiber, however the amount of ALC in carrots is very minimal, thus should not be a reason to eat carrots. I wouldn't worry too much on how you cook your meat, at the end of the day 50-60g of fat can be hard to achieve daily, especially if you aren't into nuts, so a bit of fat during cooking won't harm you.

I'm off for my 3am gym session now!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back