Injury Will McLean come good in 2011? (just Carlton supporters)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of the fringe types Brock and Curnow have both looked good and one of them has a spot v the Tigers...at least in my team. Probably Ed at present...seems to have picked up a yard and playing with some serious intent.

Jospeh has floundered...may well have looked good on the track all pre season but lacks game smarts for mine, at least when played in defense.

Lucas didn't find a lot yesterday, but did notice him pushing hard to spread and make options...mind you it's not hard to push from one corner of my iphone screen to the other, so perhaps I over rate him.

Definitely have Brock in the 22 over Armfield (albeit both play vastly different roles).

Dennis continues to make bonehead plays and lacks composure. He makes the same mistakes he made two years ago and while his kicking has improved, he still struggles to find targets. He might be quick, but I'd take someone who has the ability to read the play and understand the tactical aspects of the situation over someone who has leg speed.

Besides, we don't exactly lack leg speed around the ground without him. I see him as a running back flanker/pocket and the likes of Yaz & Tuohy have already gone ahead of him.

Definitely have Brock in the 22 over Armfield (albeit both play vastly different roles).

Dennis continues to make bonehead plays and lacks composure. He makes the same mistakes he made two years ago and while his kicking has improved, he still struggles to find targets. He might be quick, but I'd take someone who has the ability to read the play and understand the tactical aspects of the situation over someone who has leg speed.

Besides, we don't exactly lack leg speed around the ground without him. I see him as a running back flanker/pocket and the likes of Yaz & Tuohy have already gone ahead of him.
I personally would not have both in the first 24 picked, Armfield would probably be 25th as one of the 3 emergencies maybe. I just can not see the club making better progress then other clubs in the 4 if guys like Lucas, Watson do not edge ok players out. Those top 4 side always find 1 or 2 new recruits, 1st or second year player or 3rd that edge out players in the 22.

The 22

Walker
Russell
Murphy
Gibbs
Judd
Simpson
Kreuzer
Yarran
Robinson
Warnock
Betts
Hampson
Henderson
Scotland
Waite
Thornton
Garlett
Jamison
Carrazzo
Ellard
Curnow
Duigan

Laidler (Injured)
Lucas
Tuohy
Joseph

Armfield
Bower
Davies
Watson
Dale
Mclean
Rowe
Collins
White

I personally like to see Watson play as many games along with Lucas this season. Dale to play games if eligible if his performing now.

Armfield will force his way in,coz of his pace,aggression,defensive pressure and his line breaking bursts & willingness to take on the opposition..his skills r improving ,including his kicking & by the end of 2011 was still 1 of Ratten's favourite role matchups

Id really like to see Armfield play on a wing where he can use his pace to break zones. As for Brock i really hope he steps up and justifys us giving pick 11 or 12 which ever one we gave, if he can get the form from the VFL and bring it into the senior side it will be brilliant for players like Judd and Murphy, he needs to be able to get to ever contest and be the in and under player feeding Murphy and Judd. Personally id like to see him come into the team for round 1 and stay injury free for the entire season, yes he lacks leg speed but so did Greg Williams and as we all know he was one of the best players to ever play the game. A Big 2012 for Brock would really be a huge asset for Carltons Premiership chance.

Is it unfair to compare Brock with someone like Sam Mitchell? I might be completely wrong but Mitchell doesn't strike me as being much pacier than McLean, so what does Brock need to do to get to that level?

Is it unfair to compare Brock with someone like Sam Mitchell? I might be completely wrong but Mitchell doesn't strike me as being much pacier than McLean, so what does Brock need to do to get to that level?

Just run to the right places. We all say he isn't quick, but that's just because his top speed is so low. He came third in our time trial when he got here, which shows he can hold the same pace for ages, just needs to be able to keep getting to contests.

Duck his head for free kicks and snipe the opposition? :D

In all seriousness, I think he'd need to keep extracting like he is and maybe be more damaging with his disposal.

I could be wrong but I think Sam Mitchell is more lethal off both his feet (paging TheGeneral here). Certainly very very good hands.

The Armfield talk is a little out of date. Two years ago I'd have agreed, but he hasn't improved his decision-making in that time which has disappointed me, we've got better defenders, better mids and better forwards.

His speed, aggression and tackling can all be fulfilled by Robinson, Yarran or even someone like Andy Collins who out in 6 tackles on Sunday despite not getting many disposals.

The Armfield talk is a little out of date. Two years ago I'd have agreed, but he hasn't improved his decision-making in that time which has disappointed me, we've got better defenders, better mids and better forwards.

His speed, aggression and tackling can all be fulfilled by Robinson, Yarran or even someone like Andy Collins who out in 6 tackles on Sunday despite not getting many disposals.

We signed Armfield, Ellard and Joseph on for another 2 years each, last year.
Must say I was a little surprised for all three to be given contracts, back then.

Im with you Sparky, Dennis has lots of pace and thats where it ends. Hes one of Bretts favourites and theres the problem for Carlton. Just see him as a list clogger.

what mitchell lacks in leg speed he makes up for in hand speed. one of the quickest and cleanest handballers in the comp.

unfortunately brock doesn't quite have the same ability although he didn't look to bad on sunday.

Poor old Brock will have a do a hell of a lot to overcome the stain on his name he's acquired - fairly or unfairly.

I think if it was Kane Lucas firing out those handballs in the 3rd/4th quarter on Sunday we'd be proclaiming him as the second coming...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it ok to bad mouth Armfield but not Mclean?

Mclean hasn't played one good game for us and he's a protected speices because he played a good game for melbourne in 2006??

I'd hardly call Brock a protected species....rightly or wrongly the bloke gets slaughtered by all and sundry. His body hasn't been right, but he's been awful when he has played.

Dennis' disposal and bonehead decisions are worthy of criticism too though. His endeavour and speed are his best qualities but in two years he has only improved marginally on his weaknesses.

Just to compare to Ball

Ball was recruited to play soley as an extractor. If the Saints hadn't had lenny, dal Santo and Armitage they would never have ditched him. The Pies needed Ball to do this as it released Pendlebury. Once Bally arrived, Pendles has become one of the Top 5 players in the comp as he has not been required to be the first clearance player. This in turn allowed Thomas to gut run all over the gornud and along the wings

By comparison, I don't really see what role McLean would play. You guys already have Judd as an extractor, and I don't think he would be able to return to being the West Coast outside player even if someone else became extractor

Agreeing with others, McLean just seems too slow to be very useful, and others will/already have overtaken him

I'd hardly call Brock a protected species....rightly or wrongly the bloke gets slaughtered by all and sundry. His body hasn't been right, but he's been awful when he has played.

Dennis' disposal and bonehead decisions are worthy of criticism too though. His endeavour and speed are his best qualities but in two years he has only improved marginally on his weaknesses.

Armfields speed and tackling are elite, surely these weapons can be used and he should remain as a valuable depth player.

How is brock getting 35 touches in the twos then is suddenly injured when he plays seniors? Facts are Brock hasn't performed to a satisfactory level since being at the club. Hopefully he turns it around this year, if not he will be receiving a dramatic drop in salary, if he's even on our list.

Why is it ok to bad mouth Armfield but not Mclean?

Mclean hasn't played one good game for us and he's a protected speices because he played a good game for melbourne in 2006??
Armfield isn't a footballer.

Mclean's first two games weren't poor, but he broke down after hurting his hip and knees in his first season.

This has been done to death.

Mclean's first two games weren't poor, but he broke down after hurting his hip and knees in his first season.

Sorry mate, Can you direct me to another thread or website where is it ok to discuss carlton?

I checked a couple of reliable sources and

Dennis Armfield is a professional footballer with the Carlton Football Club

Armfields speed and tackling are elite, surely these weapons can be used and he should remain as a valuable depth player.

How is brock getting 35 touches in the twos then is suddenly injured when he plays seniors? Facts are Brock hasn't performed to a satisfactory level since being at the club. Hopefully he turns it around this year, if not he will be receiving a dramatic drop in salary, if he's even on our list.

Yes, Armfield can run, but his tackling isn't what i would call elite. We have much better tacklers at the club, let alone the whole competition.

Half Armfields issues are attributed to his speed i feel. Disposal issues are often while running at top speed, something that's hard to do let alone someone without the greatest AFL skill set going around. He definitely tries hard and gives 110% while out there though, that's why he gets the games he does.

Wouldn't suggest that Army's tackling is elite by any stretch either. Most opponents break them far too easily.

He is most definitely quick, but it's not like Carlton lack footspeed when he's not in the side.

Wouldn't suggest that Army's tackling is elite by any stretch either. Most opponents break them far too easily.

He is most definitely quick, but it's not like Carlton lack footspeed when he's not in the side.

Army played rugby till he was 17, at least grant me that he is an above average tackler.

I understand we are a fast team without him but we are even faster with him.

Mclean can play one position. Army can play on small forwards, milfielders and as a defensive forward, making him a perfect candidate for the sub as he can come on and have a real impact defensively as the oppostion fatigues. Imagine trying to clear the ball from out defense with walker, Garlett, betts and Army hunting the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back