Will Melbourne regret giving away so many first round picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lewis has already been passed. He was ordinary this year, I have no idea how he gets through another 2. Most likely stagnates, plays VFL before taking a coaching role for his last year. Brayshaw will continue to play if he can modify his game. If he doesn't play inside mid then he struggles elsewhere. Petracca will be able to run on the ball more next year. He needs to lose weight. Jones has to stay in the middle for another year (especially with Lewis looking so bad). Clarry and Oliver are the same person.. And.. If Tyson is a primary mid beyond this year you guys don't make the 8 next year. I believe you will make the 8, and Tyson won't get a game as fulltime midfielder in a side that makes the 8. He is very ordinary is Dom Tyson. Very.

Lewis =3rd in the B&F can't have been too bad

Lewis =3rd in the B&F can't have been too bad

After Oliver winning in a landslide the rest was a raffle. But on Lewis, he was shocking this year, kicked to the opposition far too much, and had a poor year. He would be disappointed no doubt. If Melbourne make the top 8 next year - which I think they will, then I can't see Lewis starting as a midfielder. He was just really bad this year, and has far too many deficiencies (defensive, hard ball, disposal effectiveness, pressure acts, and the list goes on).

After Oliver winning in a landslide the rest was a raffle. But on Lewis, he was shocking this year, kicked to the opposition far too much, and had a poor year. He would be disappointed no doubt. If Melbourne make the top 8 next year - which I think they will, then I can't see Lewis starting as a midfielder. He was just really bad this year, and has far too many deficiencies (defensive, hard ball, disposal effectiveness, pressure acts, and the list goes on).

His first half of the year wasn't great but his second half was much better.

These are our 23 and unders:

Viney, Hogan, Petracca, Oliver, Lever, Brayshaw, Hunt, Salem, Oscar McDonald, Weideman, Hannan, Neal-Bullen, Harmes, Stretch.

If your club has a better collective feel free to quote.

Last edited:
Melbourne got taken hard on this trade. You pay that for primary kpp's not 2nd/3rd ups.
You seem like a lemming who's free from independent thought.

Lever is in the top 3 players from the 2014 draft.

Intercept tall defenders are the most valuable in the game. They start the offensive chains of possession from the D50.

Lever is the no.1 intercept possession player in the game. Just shading Rance.

He's the no.2 intercept mark in the game, just behind McGovern.

He's 21, so will be playing his best footy in 5 years.

He captained Vic Metro as a bottom age player. How many players ever do that ?

He was earmarked as Adelaide's next captain.

In essence, we gave up pick 10 for a top 3 draft pick, plus hopefully a pick in the teens for pick 35. We've got a proven performer over a mystery pick 10.

You need to give this footy caper a bit more thought.

You seem like a lemming who's free from independent thought.

Lever is in the top 3 players from the 2014 draft.

Intercept tall defenders are the most valuable in the game. They start the offensive chains of possession from the D50.

Lever is the no.1 intercept possession player in the game. Just shading Rance.

He's the no.2 intercept mark in the game, just behind McGovern.

He's 21, so will be playing his best footy in 5 years.

He captained Vic Metro as a bottom age player. How many players ever do that ?

He was earmarked as Adelaide's next captain.

In essence, we gave up pick 10 for a top 3 draft pick, plus hopefully a pick in the teens for pick 35. We've got a proven performer over a mystery pick 10.

You need to give this footy caper a bit more thought.
Interesting factoids, Very good player, don't get me wrong, but you overpaid for that TYPE.

Melbourne got taken hard on this trade. You pay that for primary kpp's not 2nd/3rd ups.
He was a key defender as a junior, described as a lockdown defender. He's only 21, not too many players become a kpp within their first few years. Lever has already displayed he is a top line AFL player, plenty of time to develop further and possibly will be a kpp in future years

Do you think you can hold all of Oliver, Viney, Jones, Lewis, Brayshaw & Tyson when they are all basically inside midfielders?

A question we’ve floated on our board a few times, it’s why I wouldn’t be against trading Tyson.

Next year I see Jones playing more on the HBF rotating with Lewis in the middle and Brayshaw can play both inside and outside. We may still be too inside focused with Petracca playing a bit more midfield so it’ll be interesting to see how the team balance is.

Interesting factoids, Very good player, don't get me wrong, but you overpaid for that TYPE.
That 'type' is more important than a lockdown key defender. Not to mention, he's in the top 3 players in the game for that 'type'.

Also, he's 195cm and only 21. He'll be the best of his 'type' in 4-5 years and be versatile enough to play one on one as need be. You're also overlooking his leadership qualities. Clubs don't.

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's a poorly thought through one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A question we’ve floated on our board a few times, it’s why I wouldn’t be against trading Tyson.

Agree, but where does a trade get done? Forget next year.

- North would be more likely to chance the draft, considering our lists age group, for a player with 5 more years left.
- Freo, pass
- Collingwood? Doubt it.

StKilda.

Problem is you’d have to convince Tyson to leave which is unlikely, and he’s not worth 7 or 8.

There's not much convincing required if a club states to a player that it wants to trade him and another club wants them, with a likely added contract extension.

Where do you rate his worth pick wise?

The kid wouldn't want to go interstate, so 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16,18, 19, 20 are out of the question.

Geelong wouldn't want him with pick 21, with Ablett returning.

North are next with pick 22

Richmond's 15-17 aren't likely because Miles is already on their list and struggling for a game.

Last edited:
That 'type' is more important than a lockdown key defender. Not to mention, he's in the top 3 players in the game for that 'type'.

Also, he's 195cm and only 21. He'll be the best of his 'type' in 4-5 years and be versatile enough to play one on one as need be. You're also overlooking his leadership qualities. Clubs don't.

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's a poorly thought through one.
Maybe I've just been spoilt by LJizz. Good luck with your selection.

We have pretty much the best recruiter in the business in Taylor, but now he has **** all to work with after we were reamed by the Crows.

Lol. If he was the 'best recruiter in the business' then he wouldn't necessarily need first round draft picks. Clubs with 'best recruiters in the business' do things like drafting Rory Sloane at 44. Not Jack Watts at 1 and Jack Trengove at 2. Or they make a grand final with not one top 10 draft pick.

There's not much convincing required if a club states to a player that it wants to trade him and another club wants them, with a likely added contract extension.

Where do you rate his worth pick wise?
I'd be very disappointed to lose Tyson, 24 under 100 games proven ball winner I'd hate to see him go, but if he was going a pick in the mid 20s at the very least hopefully higher

20-30, he is a solid B grade mid without being a star.

I'd be very disappointed to lose Tyson, 24 under 100 games proven ball winner I'd hate to see him go, but if he was going a pick in the mid 20s at the very least hopefully higher

Can you folks pick up the phone and ring Arden Street and tell them you are interested in pick 22?

Lol. If he was the 'best recruiter in the business' then he wouldn't necessarily need first round draft picks. Clubs with 'best recruiters in the business' do things like drafting Rory Sloane at 44. Not Jack Watts at 1 and Jack Trengove at 2. Or they make a grand final with not one top 10 draft pick.
Jason Taylor didn't pick either of the jacks, your points redundant and poorly made

I would happily trade him for 22, I see him as a Brad Sewell type player who'll never be A grade but a good footballer who will play 200+ games.

He is a quality inside man and we can put him to work doing what he does best, then finally plonk JZ in the forward pocket without losing a beat.

The inclusion of Tyson would bring at least another 30 goals a year for our side.

Pick 22 and it's a win for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back