Will Melbourne regret giving away so many first round picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a key defender as a junior, described as a lockdown defender. He's only 21, not too many players become a kpp within their first few years. Lever has already displayed he is a top line AFL player, plenty of time to develop further and possibly will be a kpp in future years
Totally agree. He'll continue to develop. However the club will want to use him as the floating player coming in to intercept and spoil. But no doubt he build his strength and get better at the one on one stuff.

Your point has no substance or proof. Bzzt thanks for playing. Also you have poor grammar. ;)
This must be a joke, did you post this incoherent nonsense and accuse me of poor grammar at the same time Ha Ha.

I have know idea what you meant by "substance of proof" that's complete jibberish, but the fact remains Jason Taylor didn't recruit either Of the Jacks you mentioned so your point remains redundant

Adelaide got some nice picks, which might turn into anything or nothing. Melbourne have Jake Lever, who is genuinely a gun and someone they've identified as critical to their back line.

Adelaide got a fair return in terms of draft picks, but Melbourne have Lever in their back line so do you think they'll care exactly what they paid if he delivers multiple AA seasons?

This must be a joke, did you post this incoherent nonsense and accuse me of poor grammar at the same time Ha Ha.

I have know idea :drunk: what you meant by "substance of proof :drunk:" that's complete jibberish, but the fact remains Jason Taylor didn't recruit either Of :drunk: the Jacks you mentioned so your point remains redundant

Oh dear. Can't read either. Misquoted me also. Of course you have no idea what I meant, you are clearly illiterate. I'll leave you now so you can keep whacking off over Jason whoever he is.

2016: traded to Gold Coast
Will they regret it?
Got them Clayton Oliver and Sam Weidemann and Bugg as steak knives so a big no!!!!

Home run there.

2017: traded to Adelaide
2018: traded to Adelaide

Will they regret it?

They got a ten year player in Jake Lever for backline.

They also got Viney, Gawn, Petracca, McDonald brothers, Jayden Hunt, Gus Brayshaw, Salem, Hannan, Harmes, Tyson, Hibberd, Kent, Vandenberg and Stretch as a very very handy youthful group to go with that haul of Oliver, Lever, Weidemann and Bugg. They are well placed with their age and talent profile at the moment that make those trades make total sense.

They will high five each other over it if anything.

Oh dear. Can't read either. Misquoted me also. Of course you have no idea what I meant, you are clearly illiterate. I'll leave you now so you can keep whacking off over Jason whoever he is.
I quoted you word for word, your getting angry, calm down and re read your own posts, it's ok to be wrong but not to be deliberately stupid

Melbourne got taken hard on this trade. You pay that for primary kpp's not 2nd/3rd ups.
Really? Would you really pay more for a number 1 key defender?

Off the top of my head, so may be off the mark, but here's a few clubs' primary KPP defenders:
N.Brown/Carlisle? Talia? Grundy? Tarrant/Thompson? McDonald? Lonergan/Henderson? Astbury/Rance? Hurley? Cordy?

Out of all those, I'd only rate Rance and Hurley as more valuable than Lever...

I quoted you word for word, your :drunk: getting angry, calm down and re read your own posts, it's ok to be wrong but not to be deliberately stupid

Lol no you didn't. Try reading back through more carefully next time. I'm far from angry, you've given me a good laugh. Try hard illiterate tough guys like you are what makes BF amusing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't "give away" three first round picks. We traded them. What a s**t OP.

Fair is fair, he did use the word trade in his opening post and probably he was asking a question as he genuinely had no idea if it was a good thing or not and wanted to get himself informed. Hopefully now he understands there will be anything but regret. His subject line is s**t though with give away used.

After Oliver winning in a landslide the rest was a raffle. But on Lewis, he was shocking this year, kicked to the opposition far too much, and had a poor year. He would be disappointed no doubt. If Melbourne make the top 8 next year - which I think they will, then I can't see Lewis starting as a midfielder. He was just really bad this year, and has far too many deficiencies (defensive, hard ball, disposal effectiveness, pressure acts, and the list goes on).
Lewis finished top 2 last year and top 3 this year in his team B&F, AFL coaches disagree. He is not the clearance player he used to be it doesn't take a genius to notice that. Hasn't been since 2014 probably, but he is a very classy player. Lewis and Jones are very similar in that they are guys willing to take the risky kicks and get the team moving again if their teammates are playing it too safe, he is a momentum setter and an on field leader. Was killing it against us too, teammates let him down.

Lol no you didn't. Try reading back through more carefully next time. I'm far from angry, you've given me a good laugh. Try hard illiterate tough guys like you are what makes BF amusing!
I've got a strong suspicion I'm picking on a 12 year old, and if I am I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you young bloke but the point remains your initial post was poorly made redundant

To answer the OP, NO! They have recruited a KPD who is 21, a gun, and will be around for the long haul. The Demons' spine is looking very classy

This.

Melbourne aren't at the point any longer where they need to throw all the picks they can at the draft, in order to build up their platform.

They have their platform in place, so picks become less valuable than suitable high quality targets.

This is why the apparently high cost for someone like Lever is justifiable at this stage of Melbourne's development. I think they only have to add a couple of fleet footed wing/forward flanker/pocket types and they are set to go. They can go to the RFA/UFA trades for these players.

They can then focus on developing the next lot of KPP's & rucks with the later 1st round picks that they will most likely attract over the next 5-7 years.

Odd thread.

2016/17: -
2015: 4 & 9
2014: 2 & 3
2013: 9
2012: 4 & Viney F/S & Hogan MD2

Also brought in Tyson and Lever in these first round pick trades. Over 6 trade periods that's 6 top 10 picks, Viney who was rated as a top 10 pick, Hogan who was rated as a top 10 pick, Tyson who was a top 10 pick at GWS and Lever who was pick 14 at Adelaide and would go top 10 in a retrospective draft.

I wish my club could be so lucky.

Odd thread.

2016/17: -
2015: 4 & 9
2014: 2 & 3
2013: 9
2012: 4 & Viney F/S & Hogan MD2

Also brought in Tyson and Lever in these first round pick trades. Over 6 trade periods that's 6 top 10 picks, Viney who was rated as a top 10 pick, Hogan who was rated as a top 10 pick, Tyson who was a top 10 pick at GWS and Lever who was pick 14 at Adelaide and would go top 10 in a retrospective draft.

I wish my club could be so lucky.

Peter Matera, Kemp, McIntosh and Heady after getting Glen Jakovich, Sumich, Turley, Pyke and Mitchell White was lucky timing to start up when all young around same time. So you certainly had some similar.

Peter Matera, Kemp, McIntosh and Heady after getting Glen Jakovich, Sumich, Turley, Pyke and Mitchell White was lucky timing to start up when all young around same time. So you certainly had some similar.

Very different era. Heady and Kemp were late picks anyway, but we had pre-draft selections to boost our list size to VFL/AFL standard over a period of years.

The AFL cocked up our entry concessions. Had they known how strong our young early 90s side was going to be they would've gone about things differently.

Very different era. Heady and Kemp were late picks anyway, but we had pre-draft selections to boost our list size to VFL/AFL standard over a period of years.
True, my point was about wishing for the luck of a batch of youth all talented coming through a club within a few years of each other which Melbourne have had recently, Geelong in early 2000's, Hawks a few years later and hopefully my Blues for 2015 and 16 draftees. ;)

True, my point was about wishing for the luck of a batch of youth all talented coming through a club within a few years of each other which Melbourne have had recently, Geelong in early 2000's, Hawks a few years later and hopefully my Blues for 2015 and 16 draftees. ;)

Fair enough, but all new teams need to start somewhere. Melbourne are the oldest team going round so having that many top 10 picks in a short period is rare - but then they did suck for a long time...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back