Will North rise above 18th?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are a bit touchy aren’t you.

Do you think I live at Southern Cross station. It takes me an hour alone to get there. Geelong even longer.

The issue with home games in Geelong isn’t capacity, it’s the fact that every single other team in the state plays their home games in shared stadium, except you guys.

And as you just pointed out, there’s a direct V Line from Geelong to Southern Cross.

And I wouldn’t throw dirt at other teams for not going to games away from home. I distinctly remember your supporter base not being bothered to turn up to multiple preliminary finals, qualifying finals and home and away games at the MCG.

Footscray to Southern Cross is not an hour, lol. If you don't live in Footscray or the Western suburbs, that's not really relevant to the supporters of your club as a whole.

Errrr...we have always had supporters at all of those games...routinely used to get 80K+ for our Hawthorn v Geelong Easter Monday fixture. We might have less supporters at away games, but it doesn't mean they don't show up at all.

Your exact words were 'no-one goes to Geelong.' Then to justify it, you started bringing all this nonsense about us not having a stadium, Geelong being too hard to get tickets to, and other whingy behaviour.

I simply called you out for that behaviour, given you threw the barb about 'no-one going to Geelong.' Now you just keep trying to justify it.

Btw we are the only non metropolitan city (from the original VFA/VFL), and we're the second oldest team in the league, so that's why we don't share a stadium. It's not our fault we aren't in Melbourne, that's just logistical.

Gold Coast aren't in Brisbane - they don't share the Gabba. GWS aren't in metro Sydney, they don't share the SCG...so what exactly is the difference when it comes to us?

Lol ok 'champ.' Yet Geelong supporters are expected to travel down the highway to play you guys at Marvel? Seems a little odd to have the attitude of 'you guys shouldn't even have games there', when we've invested significant funds to get our capacity up, and that capacity will reach 40K when Stage 5 is done - only 10K less than Marvel.

It's a train ride from Geelong to Southern Cross... it's the exact same going the other way. It is weak to not go see your team play away, purely for the reasoning of 'well they shouldn't have a stadium, we never win there, and it's hard to get to.'

You're the one who has now stated 'no-one heads down to Geelong and 'games shouldn't even be played there anymore'...and you don't see that as incendiary to Cats supporters?

Sorry, I guess we should just play over an hour away, to satiate the Melbourne club supporters who can't be bothered travelling an hour - when all other teams in the league have a stadium within 20 minutes of their team's suburb.

But sure, let's make us the exception.

You realize the majority of people don’t live at Southern Cross station don’t you?

It’s a train ride for you from Geelong to Southern Cross to watch the footy. For most Melbourne fans, it’s a 30m train ride to Southern Cross, then a V Line then get price gouged an away ticket, then repeat the dose on the way home.

It’s way too much effort with kids.

Footscray to Southern Cross is not an hour, lol. If you don't live in Footscray or the Western suburbs, that's not really relevant to the supporters of your club as a whole.

Errrr...we have always had supporters at all of those games...routinely used to get 80K+ for our Hawthorn v Geelong Easter Monday fixture. We might have less supporters at away games, but it doesn't mean they don't show up at all.

Your exact words were 'no-one goes to Geelong.' Then to justify it, you started bringing all this nonsense about us not having a stadium, Geelong being too hard to get tickets to, and other whingy behaviour.

I simply called you out for that behaviour, given you threw the barb about 'no-one going to Geelong.' Now you just keep trying to justify it.

Btw we are the only non metropolitan city (from the original VFA/VFL), and we're the second oldest team in the league, so that's why we don't share a stadium. It's not our fault we aren't in Melbourne, that's just logistical.

Gold Coast aren't in Brisbane - they don't share the Gabba. GWS aren't in metro Sydney, they don't share the SCG...so what exactly is the difference when it comes to us?
You are off your nutter. My first comment was a joke towards your very serious comment, obvious to anyone, then you replied with the most defensive comment posted in this thread so of course I replied to that seriously.

And you keep replying. This last post I’m replying to was 6 paragraphs. 6.

As for your first paragraph...are you really saying every Geelong supporter lives in Geelong?

You realize the majority of people don’t live at Southern Cross station don’t you?

It’s a train ride for you from Geelong to Southern Cross to watch the footy. For most Melbourne fans, it’s a 30m train ride to Southern Cross, then a V Line then get price gouged an away ticket, the. Repeat the dose on the way home.

Read above comment. Using that logic, not all fans live in the centre of Geelong either

Read above comment. Using that logic, not all fans live in the centre of Geelong either

Yes but Melbourne is a hell of a lot denser and more difficult to get around in than Geelong...

Fact of the matter is, a train trip to Kardinia for most Melbournians is a 2hr exercise, at least.

It’s probably even longer for me in Bayside Melbourne. It would almost be quicker to go Sorrento/Queenscliff.

You are off your nutter. My first comment was a joke towards your very serious comment, obvious to anyone, then you replied with the most defensive comment posted in this thread so of course I replied to that seriously.

And you keep replying. This last post I’m replying to was 6 paragraphs. 6.

As for your first paragraph...are you really saying every Geelong supporter lives in Geelong?

Mate, my comment was in reply to you saying we shouldn't have a stadium? You don't think that would piss a supporter base off, lol?

I wasn't even serious when I started either, but you actually kept going too and wouldn't leave it alone - continually trying to justify that comment.

It's fine, I'm done and this has been a waste of time. Sure I wont see you down at Geelong anytime soon

You are a bit touchy aren’t you.

Do you think I live at Southern Cross station. It takes me an hour alone to get there. Geelong even longer.

The issue with home games in Geelong isn’t capacity, it’s the fact that every single other team in the state plays their home games in shared stadium, except you guys.

And as you just pointed out, there’s a direct V Line from Geelong to Southern Cross.

And I wouldn’t throw dirt at other teams for not going to games away from home. I distinctly remember your supporter base not being bothered to turn up to multiple preliminary finals, qualifying finals and home and away games at the MCG.

Playing in Geelong is s**t. Always cold and windy and a pain in the ass to get too particularly from the east side of Melbourne. Very glad Carlton haven’t had to do it more this century.

Not sure what the other poster is actually arguing against.

Yes but Melbourne is a hell of a lot denser and more difficult to get around in than Geelong...

Fact of the matter is, a train trip to Kardinia for most Melbournians is a 2hr exercise, at least.

It’s probably even longer for me in Bayside Melbourne. It would almost be quicker to go Sorrento/Queenscliff.

I'm not trying to convince you guys that you shouldn't have a stadium though :tearsofjoy:

Mate, my comment was in reply to you saying we shouldn't have a stadium? You don't think that would piss a supporter base off, lol?

I wasn't even serious when I started either, but you actually kept going too and wouldn't leave it alone - continually trying to justify that comment.

It's fine, I'm done and this has been a waste of time. Sure I wont see you down at Geelong anytime soon
Noted. I didn’t say you shouldn’t have a stadium, just that you shouldn’t play AFL games there. You know, like every other team in the state, which I’ve already said.

And there’s the petty remark at the end. As expected.

Noted. I didn’t say you shouldn’t have a stadium, just that you shouldn’t play AFL games there. You know, like every other team in the state, which I’ve already said.

And there’s the petty remark at the end. As expected.

You've made plenty of petty remarks lol, and this whole thing started because you stated no-one goes to Geelong...which I'm just affirming going by your logic.

So we should have a stadium, we just shouldn't play there? Rightio.

I guess GWS and GC should be playing at the SCG and the Gabba then, given how they have their own stadiums 40mins/1 hour away. Or is this just a Victorian thing?

We need a second win before R9 otherwise big big danger.

Essendon would want to have their 2nd win before R10.

Only other contender is Gold Coast, wouldn't be surprised if they're only 1 win ahead of North by R15.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their midfield has talent there, but the forward line is, frankly, abysmal. When they traded Brown, I was sure they were going to draft MacDonald because Larkey is not a number 1 forward. I was extremely confused when that didn't transpire, and given whispers that next year's draft is stacked with mids, I'm even more so.

I actually wasn't expecting us to draft him because I was expecting the Crows to take him, but when he was available I was a bit surprised.

I have consistently had the opinion that you take the best midfielder instead of the best KPP or Ruckman if you have a pick in the top 5, I think there are a lot of good KPP that come later on in the first round, if you look at the hit/miss rate of top end KPP ruckman from the first few picks it is about a 90% failure rate to be even a 100 game player, let alone s star. I don't think the failure rate is remotely as high for pure mids. I think flankers are a lot more hit or miss.

I think KPP need to change body shape significantly, sometimes the attributes and strength you had as a junior are diminished or destroyed when bulking up, sometimes your ligaments can't handle the strain of the additional weight depending on if you have mechanical flaws with how you run, this was probably an issue with someone like Patton who has busted his knee at regular intervals after he bulked up.

There is no guarantee it will pan out well. I think with us having Luff on board I think statistics and probability will be more of a factor in our recruitment, for better or worse. The decision might be based on a solid and well founded premise, that doesn't mean you wont get stung by an outlier. But, I think it is better to see how things pan out for a while before judging if the decision was a success or failure.

We do have issues with our key forwards and I agree I don't think Larkey will be a #1 KPF, at this point in time. It wasn't a surprise to me that we took Phillips, the surprise was not picking up any of the KPP given Comben hasn't played a game and Xerri only a few. They might be a bust but I would have preferring having a look at someone like Callow rather than say Menadue, nothing against him personally, but we had let go a lot of our KPP and the list lacked some balance which our current injury issues are exacerbating the problem.

It’s four weeks in and North supporters are already begging for handouts.

You have some good kids, a seemingly good coach and were in the game for the best part of 3 quarters against Adelaide who look decent this year.

I hope the club haven’t resigned themselves to a horrible season like most fans already have.

I do agree two mature aged players would be a nothing package with the new draft and SSP.

It is a bit rich seeing supporters of clubs handed out a ridiculous amount of priority picks standing on their soap box about handouts.

I don't think priority picks should exist, but it is disgusting we have to compete against clubs like Gold Coast, who don't even have to bid for their ridiculous academy pick players and get ludicrous amounts of handouts and a much larger list.

AFL is as much a competition as the WWF was a sport, this game is utterly contrived based on who the AFL at a whim give access. I'd prefer there was one set of rules for everyone but that is far from reality.

It is a bit rich seeing supporters of clubs handed out a ridiculous amount of priority picks standing on their soap box about handouts.

I don't think priority picks should exist, but it is disgusting we have to compete against clubs like Gold Coast, who don't even have to bid for their ridiculous academy pick players and get ludicrous amounts of handouts and a much larger list.

AFL is as much a competition as the WWF was a sport, this game is utterly contrived based on who the AFL at a whim give access. I'd prefer there was one set of rules for everyone but that is far from reality.

So because I support a club who has had priority picks in the past (15 years ago under a different system) I can’t have an opinion on it?

You have then gone ahead and agreed with what I’ve been saying anyway. Interesting.

So because I support a club who has had priority picks in the past (15 years ago under a different system) I can’t have an opinion on it?

You have then gone ahead and agreed with what I’ve been saying anyway. Interesting.

No, I said they shouldn't exist, but they do exist and we are meant to compete against clubs who get a massive leg up. It isn't fair. A competition should be fair.

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I think we're staring down the barrel of a season like GC 2019 or Carlton 2018. If we don't beat Adelaide the following week then we can kiss any hopes of that being otherise goodbye.

Senior players who have been at the club for a while (bar Anderson and Goldstein), Larkey and Zurhaar have all been dissapointing and the yoof are carrying too much weight.

Not taking McDonald (imagine how good our haul would've looked if we took him with the way Powell and Lazzaro are going) has to be something I've never wrapped my head around, we're banking on a key forward who was taken only a year earlier but been a complete injury basket case.

Delivery inside 50 and defensive pressure need to be fixed if this club wants to do anything because both suck a lot.
Think you have nailed it.

At the draft I thought NM would go with Campbell to force a Sydney match, denying them 2 picks in the top 5 and still leaving you with McDonald at pick 4. McDonald was a standout in 2020 and to me could have gone as a pick 1. Given that he was also of the type NM were crying out for, he was a lock for you guys.
But not to be.

I divide teams into forward, mid and back and look at where each zone fits and where to improve etc. At the moment I would put all three zones for North in the bottom 4 in the AFL. Not a good place to be.
Defence - leaky and inexperienced.
Midfield - work in progress but way behind virtually everyone else.
Forward - just can't see where the goals will come from. Even the future will need draft/trade to be decent.

I have no doubt North will improve over the year. With some very bad games thrown in as well. But North will be better at the end of 2021 than they are now.
Good enough to win any games? Not sure. Probably not and any win would be an upset.
Aim. Compete all game and keep the bleeding down for a half, then three quarters, then a whole match, then run someone close, then win a game.

Think you have nailed it.

At the draft I thought NM would go with Campbell to force a Sydney match, denying them 2 picks in the top 5 and still leaving you with McDonald at pick 4. McDonald was a standout in 2020 and to me could have gone as a pick 1. Given that he was also of the type NM were crying out for, he was a lock for you guys.
But not to be.

I divide teams into forward, mid and back and look at where each zone fits and where to improve etc. At the moment I would put all three zones for North in the bottom 4 in the AFL. Not a good place to be.
Defence - leaky and inexperienced.
Midfield - work in progress but way behind virtually everyone else.
Forward - just can't see where the goals will come from. Even the future will need draft/trade to be decent.

I have no doubt North will improve over the year. With some very bad games thrown in as well. But North will be better at the end of 2021 than they are now.
Good enough to win any games? Not sure. Probably not and any win would be an upset.
Aim. Compete all game and keep the bleeding down for a half, then three quarters, then a whole match, then run someone close, then win a game.
Good post bar one thing IMO, I think our defence is ok, considering how much bombardment it comes under for easy and dangerous inside 50 entries, that along with the fact that 3 out of 6 of our best defenders (Corr, Tarrant and McDonald) have miss a combined 10 games and its only round 4.

I think North are a solid chance at winning 3-4 games. They were beating Adelaide at three-quarter time and were every chance to win. They play GWS and Gold Coast in Hobart, both are easily winnable for the Roos. The game against us in Launceston will be a flip of the coin. I also wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off an upset against Essendon or Carlton at Marvel in rounds 18 or 19 respectively.

Whether it's enough to not get them the wooden spoon largely depends on how the other teams projected for bottom 4 go.

Genuine question for someone who knows the North setup.

After getting rid of Brown (probably the highest paid North player) and a whole bunch of senior guys who would've been on pretty solid money, and going to the draft where you get guys on minimum salary, how are North managing to pay 95% of the salary cap without horribly overpaying some very average players?

Genuine question for someone who knows the North setup.

After getting rid of Brown (probably the highest paid North player) and a whole bunch of senior guys who would've been on pretty solid money, and going to the draft where you get guys on minimum salary, how are North managing to pay 95% of the salary cap without horribly overpaying some very average players?
I'm guessing since we just signed Stephenson and Corr on a 3 million each over the next 5 years, I'm guessing that it's a front-loaded contract, a similar case may be present with McDonald who has singed until the end of 2026.

I honestly doubt we're horribly overpaying average players (I'm guessing when you're talking about this you mean St. Kilda style with Hill and Hannebery). At this moment, Stephenson and Corr (should be back within 3 weeks) have been good contributors in the losses so far and McDonald is a BnF winner.

Another top end talent in the bag if not more. Starting from 2016, we have nailed elite talents each year and have always done well with free agency and cheap gets. We be never had top end talents for more than a decade. So in Simpkin, ldu, Thomas, Phillips and Horne this year, these are the top draftees. I haven’t mentioned Scott, Stephenson, Powell yet. All 8 are midfielders. 2020, 21 might turn out to be our most important years.

I'm guessing since we just signed Stephenson and Corr on a 3 million each over the next 5 years, I'm guessing that it's a front-loaded contract, a similar case may be present with McDonald who has singed until the end of 2026.

I honestly doubt we're horribly overpaying average players (I'm guessing when you're talking about this you mean St. Kilda style with Hill and Hannebery). At this moment, Stephenson and Corr (should be back within 3 weeks) have been good contributors in the losses so far and McDonald is a BnF winner.

every year there’s going to be team that seems ready for the next step but get found out. You are looking at st kilda, they look alright but when things mattered, they goes missing.

sometimes you got to purge the tanks before you could rebuild, Soviet Russia wouldn’t have win the European theatre if Stalin hadn’t purged all the traitorous elements in his military.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back