Will North rise above 18th?

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question for someone who knows the North setup.

After getting rid of Brown (probably the highest paid North player) and a whole bunch of senior guys who would've been on pretty solid money, and going to the draft where you get guys on minimum salary, how are North managing to pay 95% of the salary cap without horribly overpaying some very average players?

aidan corr and jaidyn stephenson would've come in on good salaries. goldstein, cunnington, tarrant, mcdonald and ziebell would still be on decent money. i would expect young players who are outside the initial 2 year deal like simpkin, ldu and larkey would be on good money to try to keep them around. if i were managing north's list i'd be trying to sign ben mckay up on a long term deal asap, so hopefully they've got some room

After getting rid of Brown (probably the highest paid North player) and a whole bunch of senior guys who would've been on pretty solid money, and going to the draft where you get guys on minimum salary, how are North managing to pay 95% of the salary cap without horribly overpaying some very average players?
On top of what others have posted it helps that the cap has temporarily been reduced due to COVID.

Today’s result might have sealed it. North now find themselves 2 games and 23% off 17th position...

...but play the Hawks (2-5, still to play this round) next week who are currently 17th and Essendon (15th, 2-6) the week after.

Brown their highest paid player? LOL

Not a chance, Goldstein, Higgins, polec, Cunnington, Tarrant, Corr, stephenson and probably even McDonald all above him.

Remember North reject his counter offer, he's on about 500k at Melbourne, so he wouldn't have been above that at North...

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Today’s result might have sealed it. North now find themselves 2 games and 23% off 17th position...

...but play the Hawks (2-5, still to play this round) next week who are currently 17th and Essendon (15th, 2-6) the week after.

I’m predicting they win 2 games, against random opposition having an off day. Probably another 100 point loss somewhere too, and probably another 5-6 over 50 points.

Percentage probably ends up about 57 or so.

Dunno who we'll beat. Looked good at times yesterday, but again couldn't sustain it long enough to win a game. Obviously a few key injuries that are hampering performance, so hopefully we can get a few key players back and Bradbury a win somewhere this year.

Dunno who we'll beat. Looked good at times yesterday, but again couldn't sustain it long enough to win a game. Obviously a few key injuries that are hampering performance, so hopefully we can get a few key players back and Bradbury a win somewhere this year.

You're a chance against us later the season.

We're back to our 2020 levels of uncompetitiveness again now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your team has essendon twice. I reckon you will pinch a win vs them

They will win by enough next week to make up the percentage difference. Then on form they are more likely to win 1 game before the end of they year.

There's always the 'get a team on a bad day' scenario.
Plus there's 2 games against Essendon and 1 against Adelaide that should be targeted.
Hawks in Tassie (away Tassie I know) is a might be. Hawks hardly the team of a decade ago.
And there's 3 matches in Launceston. Can't see you beating Geelong, and GWS would be a big upset, but GCS is a chance down there. Would be a slim chance away, but a sneaky in Launy.

Given that no team has gone winless in a 22 game season and no-one since 1964 (18 games) has gone winless in a VFL/AFL season, you have statistics on your side.

Given that no team has gone winless in a 22 game season and no-one since 1964 (18 games) has gone winless in a VFL/AFL season, you have statistics on your side.

You may say that, but North has gone 23 (I think) games in a row now without a win over two seasons. The players will need the song on a whiteboard when we finally win one.

I’m not convinced we will win another game. We look horrible. Lucky we banked a few early or we’d be favourite for the spoon. I don’t think the Roos will win more than 3 so they’ll probably take it

I’m not convinced we will win another game. We look horrible. Lucky we banked a few early or we’d be favourite for the spoon. I don’t think the Roos will win more than 3 so they’ll probably take it
Yeah I agree. Saying that as a crows fan, just be happy your side has 3 wins already. Should of been 4 had you held on vs the hawks

Plus there's 2 games against Essendon and 1 against Adelaide that should be targeted.
Hawks in Tassie (away Tassie I know) is a might be. Hawks hardly the team of a decade ago.
And there's 3 matches in Launceston. Can't see you beating Geelong, and GWS would be a big upset, but GCS is a chance down there. Would be a slim chance away, but a sneaky in Launy.

you clearly aren't familiar with our record at Adelaide Oval. It's ugly.

I just can not see North go 0-22. They will some how get a win.

Sure there has been a few teams that have gone posted a 1-21 record such as north in 1972, demon's in 1981, swans in 1993 and Fitzroy in 1996 and GWS in 2013.

North’s losing margins...

R1 52 Points
R2 59 Points
R3 128 Points
R4 41 Points
R5 30 Points
R6 51 Points
R7 30 Points
R8 18 Points

We appear to be improving. Things will be a little better when we get Tarrant, Corr, McDonald, Anderson, Dumont & Polec back.

Still have 18th locked though 🔒.

Lock for the spoon, but that’s not news to me as I was expecting such a scenario before the season even began. But we’ll jag 2 wins I think. Over the last couple of weeks we were better than our opponent for large chunks of the game but just couldn’t put it together for 4 quarters. But the gameplan is slowly starting to come together and we’re looking less lost out there than we did early in the season. Big opportunities in the next couple of weeks against Hawks and *

Remove this Banner Ad

Back