Analysis will our midfield continue to be underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Short answer, is yes.

We don't even rate it ourselves, and we're potentially about to lose our best A grader midfielder in Gaff.

I'd like to see a proper bonafied midfielder drafted and developed properly, we need some new blood coming through. A good inside/outside player with a hunger for the contest. Yeo and Redden are MASSIVE positives though.

Nov 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool | Golden State Warriors
After seeing shuey basically unaffected by the tag and yeo really struggling you can bet oppo coaches saw that too

Yeos going to have his work cut out for him next year

If they do that's perfectly fine for us - Shuey off the chain is more damaging than Yeo at this stage of their careers, as we saw in the GF.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
After seeing shuey basically unaffected by the tag and yeo really struggling you can bet oppo coaches saw that too

Did Shuey cop a tag? I felt like Bucks chose to apply the hard tag specifically to Yeo (rightly or wrongly), which IMHO set Shuey up to win the NS. IIRC late in the game the tag moves from Yeo to Shuey which got Yeo a few more touches, but by then the damage was done.

Did Shuey cop a tag? I felt like Bucks chose to apply the hard tag specifically to Yeo (rightly or wrongly), which IMHO set Shuey up to win the NS. IIRC late in the game the tag moves from Yeo to Shuey which got Yeo a few more touches, but by then the damage was done.

A game in which you pinch the lead 105 seconds from the siren and win by less than a kick is never a game where you have "done the damage". We were the better side for 3 quarters but we could easily have ended up on the other side of the result.

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Short answer, is yes.

We don't even rate it ourselves, and we're potentially about to lose our best A grader midfielder in Gaff.

I'd like to see a proper bonafied midfielder drafted and developed properly, we need some new blood coming through. A good inside/outside player with a hunger for the contest. Yeo and Redden are MASSIVE positives though.

With respect to Gaff and others may disagree, he is our 3rd most important mid. Shuey and Yeo are more valuable to us than Gaff. He is elite in his position, but an outside mid is easier to replace than mids who are just as good on the outside as they are inside. This is even after Gaff has taken his inside game to a new level this year. We covered his loss this season effectively. Reckon we could have covered Shuey or Yeo as easily?

JEagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

It was wrongly imo. Shuey is the more damaging player in space when delivering to JK or JD. The proof is in the pudding. Norm Smith.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think it was half way through the third it moved to shuey - and didnt stop him

Shmiddy15

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
With respect to Gaff and others may disagree, he is our 3rd most important mid. Shuey and Yeo are more valuable to us than Gaff. He is elite in his position, but an outside mid is easier to replace than mids who are just as good on the outside as they are inside. This is even after Gaff has taken his inside game to a new level this year. We covered his loss this season effectively. Reckon we could have covered Shuey or Yeo as easily?

Do kind of agree, but we’re not just talking about any outside mid, we’re talking about the best outside mid in the comp. will be a while before we find ourselves another winger of gaff’s caliber.

Edit: you did say elite in his position, my bad. And you’re definitely right about yeo and shuey, we don’t win without one of them.

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm quite happy for our mids to go unheralded. All the heralded mids are the ones that seem to play for themselves and rack big possession counts.

The most impressive thing for me this finals series is something that I think has changed greatly in our midfield and one of the biggest reasons why we won all our finals - our mids really work for each other. Particularly in the GF the amount of times our mids got a little extra space because 2 or 3 shepherds were put on was telling - great to be a supporter of a side that does that instead of seeing people hand off and just watch an opposition player tackle their mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Really think Vendables isn't far away from being another dynamic mid in there.

I thought apart from a few frustrated kicks I like how Yeo played in the GF. Just kept going along and bobbed up when he could i.e. the intercept mark and goal and still took a couple of really strong contested marks. Sacrificed his games bit once he got over the frustration kind of like Mitchell in '13 when he had Crowley all over him.

The Dodger

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
oh and answer to the question yes it still is but we will always here "how far Shuey is away from his GF performance" in quiet games fro him from here on out.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi

Yeah. But Shuey was tagged as far back as 2012.

Yeo is also really versatile. Throw him back or forward if he’s tagged out of the contest, if his contested game continues to improve he’ll become harder to tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really think Vendables isn't far away from being another dynamic mid in there.

I thought apart from a few frustrated kicks I like how Yeo played in the GF. Just kept going along and bobbed up when he could i.e. the intercept mark and goal and still took a couple of really strong contested marks. Sacrificed his games bit once he got over the frustration kind of like Mitchell in '13 when he had Crowley all over him.

I reckon if Buckley left the tag on Yeo for the entire game, we lose.

Yeoy did some important things in the second half, meanwhile Shuey wasn't slowed by Greenwood at all.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
I like being underated. Wins us flags.

Sidebottom was Mr September coming into the game. How did that work out for him?
Underrated is the best motivation
Sheed said it didnt he in the 1st interview on GF day .
Tall poppies Gawn ( sick of seeing his ugly mug everywhere as well ) and Grundy knocked down too .

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Underrated is the best motivation
Sheed said it didnt he in the 1st interview on GF day .
Tall poppies Gawn ( sick of seeing his ugly mug everywhere as well ) and Grundy knocked down too .

Gawn is just cashing in one or two good years ...that’s the Victorian way ....cashing in when you have two goood seasons

On yeo ...I think use his skills each week ....some weeks he can play on someone or even half back if we needed him.....or high half forward or straight out gut running mid ....

Yeo can be anytime of player he wants to be in my view ....just say ...go do this ...and he will

Loved seeing Gawn get towelled up by us in the prelim ....I was there ....and after one qtr in the heat he was ...*****....could not get to the contests ....our guys had “blown him up” ......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back