Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
120198361_10157688793692224_3947788513954991840_o.jpg

2018 Premiership defender Will Schofield has today announced he will retire from AFL football at the end of the 2020 season.

Will has been a loyal servant of the club since being taken at pick 50 in the 2006 national draft. Debuting late in the 2007 season, Will would go on to play 194 games for the Eagles across 13 seasons, also being one of the clubs biggest contributors in the 2018 Grand Final triumph over Collingwood. 'Schoey' saved his best career game for the biggest stage, and while his stats for the day don't depcit a particularly special performance, those who watched the game will know just how important he was down back. A number of key spoils, intercepts and contests from Schoey helped keep Collingwood's potent forward line at bay. Schoey hardly put a foot wrong and was one of the key contributors in our victory that day.

Will has been a regular for the club, mainly playing as a dashing half back early in his career before transitioning to a more traditional one-on-one role later on. Schoey was never the flashiest player, but his 100% commitment to everything he did is what won him the plaudits from team mates and fans alike.

Schoey has always been a fan favourite among West Coast fans, and will be sorely missed, for he is one of footy's good guys. A true champion of our club.

Very sad news... Always in and out of the team from the start but always ready to replace an unavailable KPD or to come in as a 3rd tall when required. Thought he would eventually transition to the wing when he was younger.

Might struggle a bit against taller forward lines if either Gov or TB gets injured next year.
Hopefully Harry will have a big preseason.

This was a great write up from him about his selection woes. Glad that he got himself a premiership medal by the end of that year.

Played way better than he had any right to well into the twilight on his career and was responsible for more than one gun opposition forward "having a bad day at the office".

Take a bow, Schoey. The quintessential example of how guts and determination can be just as good as natural talent.

Your Grand Final day performance will always be remembered, and your onfield love for Clayton Oliver will never be forgotten.

Feeling a bit shattered. A much-loved player and clubman. You'd think he'd be given a role after this season, unless he goes straight into the media or pursues his own interests.

Never forget his goal-line smother in the 4th quarter when we lost to Geelong by 5,000,000 points in 2008.

Blinded somewhat by his athletic attributes and endurance, we tried to turn him into a rebounding flanker, a winger and even a leading forward, but he found his best footy playing at FB in 2015 when both first-choice options went down with long-term injuries. His persistence, experience and athletic gifts gave him the tools to shut down a number of prominent forwards.

As Barrass started to earn games, Schoey became less of an automatic selection. But when we needed a tall, versatile lock-down option he was the man. He's been prepared to sacrifice his spot whenever required, and was willing to step up and play when needed, as though he hadn't missed a beat.

His 2018 GF was extraordinary, dominating defensive 1on1s and denying Collingwood the open targets they desired. Schoey fought till the end, claiming in an interview that he was free through the corridor in the dying stages before our match-winning play. If there was an alternate universe where Schoey kicked the winner, I'd bloody love to see it.

Best of luck, Schoey!

Last edited:
His 2018 GF was extraordinary, dominating defensive 1on1s and denying Collingwood the open targets they desired. Schoey fought till the end, claiming in an interview that he was free through the corridor in the dying stages before our match-winning play. If there was an alternate universe where Schoey kicked the winner, I'd bloody love to see it.

For the rest of my days I will never forget that play in the 3rd(?) quarter where Collingwood sent a kick deep into attacking 50, and the only people home were Schoey and a pair of Collingwood forwards. As the ball cleared everyone's heads it was obvious that the Collingwood players were gonna run off Will and into an open goal, but instead of losing his cool he made a contest of it between himself and two younger, fitter players and managed to deliberately-non-deliberately fumble the ball to the boundary so the cavalry could arrive.

That was a world class piece of defending.

For the rest of my days I will never forget that play in the 3rd(?) quarter where Collingwood sent a kick deep into attacking 50, and the only people home were Schoey and a pair of Collingwood forwards. As the ball cleared everyone's heads it was obvious that the Collingwood players were gonna run off Will and into an open goal, but instead of losing his cool he made a contest of it between himself and two younger, fitter players and managed to deliberately-non-deliberately fumble the ball to the boundary so the cavalry could arrive.

Shades of Mackenzie against Port

Pure footy right there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I loved how he started behind them initially, but was quick enough to over-take them both and then get the ball out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back