Toast Will Schofield to Retire at Seasons End - Thankyou Schoey

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Apologies if it's been said elsewhere - but fair bloody effort for a bloke picked 50th. I've taken a look at a bunch of other 50th picks from ~2004 to ~2015. There's no comparison. In his draft year, by my count he was about the 16th for total games upon retirement. Very few remaining players from that class, so he's in the best 22 from that draft without question.

Attard - 25
Longergan - 81
Schofield - 194 (16th for total games from his draft class)
McKenna - 0
Lisle - 23
Fitzpatrick - 26
Davis - 2
Paine - 16
Prudden - 4
Gordon - 21
Pittonet - 20
Markov - 23

Honestly one of my all time favourite eagles, bar none. A true legend of the club and seemingly a top bloke to boot. Well done mate and good luck on a post-footy beer gut. You've earned it.

Footfalcon

Senior List
Sep 28, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Been banging the Schofield drum for a long while. Shame that he wasn't in the team much this year.
Continuously unprecedented droppings throughout his career, especially last year costing us crucial games and subsequently the top four.
It would be a spit on his career if the team selection weren't to choose him given his proven performances against this team in particular and a missed opportunity to utilise the intensity that the moral he would provide the team.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I actually don’t agree with the comments Schoey and Simmo didn’t get a long. Under Simmo Schoey footy got better. His footy got better/consistent after Simmo came into the club. You could say that Simmo gave him a defined role.

Schoeys issue with not getting a game was due to team balance and having two better key defenders vying for his spot. Emac was essentially AA quality stopper and Tom Barrass was one of the hottest young key defensive prospect few years ago.

I actually don’t agree with the comments Schoey and Simmo didn’t get a long. Under Simmo Schoey footy got better. His footy got better/consistent after Simmo came into the club. You could say that Simmo gave him a defined role.

Schoeys issue with not getting a game was due to team balance and having two better key defenders vying for his spot. Emac was essentially AA quality stopper and Tom Barrass was one of the hottest young key defensive prospect few years ago.
Schofield did suggest he and Simmo had their moments in his farewell speech to the lads. Not saying they didn't get along, but it was an interesting comment.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander needs to watch some Schoey highlights. Very similar traits regarding speed/mobility and athleticism but Schoey had the the mongrel and toughness that eventually helped him transition into a Key defender.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Schofield did suggest he and Simmo had their moments in his farewell speech to the lads. Not saying they didn't get along, but it was an interesting comment.

A man to man is always interesting & history says there is mutual respect. You dont need to 'get along' to work together very successfully.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Since it was only a 1 point result, I'd like to think he could've made a difference to the score, perhaps preventing a few Pies scores.
When its Gov, Barrass, Schofield we looked better.

Dont know what Simmos thinking was.

He is a positive player too. Always trying something

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back