News Will Setterfield nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it possible that we were looking to get Setterfield as a package with Shiel using our 2019 first + whatever else with the McGovern deal having already been agreed to in Principal? And we were blindsided by the Shiel decision and so are now having to find another way to get the Setterfield deal done?

Had a very quick skim through the first half

He does things here
48:00
54:50
59:20
almost did something at 1:10:40
1:12:15
1:14:50

I would have missed a lot, given he had 33 touches and 3 goals.
(Also bam bam is in 15)
I watched the 1st qtr 1/2 before falling asleep, he wasn't very busy, did a couple of nice things. What I did notice was Brodie...he would be a massive get.

I am thinking it is a future second for Setterfield at present (pick 19-22) but we have not pulled the trigger as a trade of our future 1st may still be required.

Not too worried and expect it will be done by next week.

CAR 1 and future 1st for GCS pick 2 and 3 and 29
pick 2 to either ADL 8 and 13 or Port for 6 and 10
pick 3 keep
pick 13 or 10 for setterfield and GWS pick 25

Carlton In: pick 3, 8 or 6, Setterfield,pick 25 and 29
Carlton Out: 1, future 1st

Trade pick 8 or 6 for another clubs 1st future round

so pick 1 for pick 3, Setterfield, 25 and 29

GWS will have plenty of picks this year after trading out Shiel and Lobb. Setterfield will be for 2nd and 3rd next year. No way do you involve next years 1st rounder. What i think that is holding up the deal is we are maybe interested in other GWS players. Rumour is we are looking at Finlayson who i rate and would be cheap. Problem is he's a tall defender who plays more like a medium defender who we have plenty off. Still prefer him on the list than Rowe.

GWS will have plenty of picks this year after trading out Shiel and Lobb. Setterfield will be for 2nd and 3rd next year. No way do you involve next years 1st rounder. What i think that is holding up the deal is we are maybe interested in other GWS players. Rumour is we are looking at Finlayson who i rate and would be cheap. Problem is he's a tall defender who plays more like a medium defender who we have plenty off. Still prefer him on the list than Rowe.
Your join date is epic. Dec 00

why will they want next year's second and third?
I don't think they need to trade out setterfield if they can't get what they need

not like I know for sure but I think that have moved money salary choke on for now

why will they want next year's second and third?
I don't think they need to trade out setterfield if they can't get what they need

not like I know for sure but I think that have moved money salary choke on for now

Rumour is that Setterfield contract is $400,000 per.
GWS needing to dump money due to back-ending contracts now coming home to roost.
Hence, Setterfield staying is not in the best interest of GWS, especially if the player does not want to be there.

Rumour could be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumour is that Setterfield contract is $400,000 per.
GWS needing to dump money due to back-ending contracts now coming home to roost.
Hence, Setterfield staying is not in the best interest of GWS, especially if the player does not want to be there.

Rumour could be wrong.

Isn't he half way through his first contracts? I doubt it would be anywhere near 400K.

Last edited:
Isn't this he half way through his first contracts? I doubt it would be anywhere near 400K.

That's what the rumour was.
Again, I have no way of knowing, but it could explain why Setterfield, Shiel and Lobb were told to explore other club opportunities.
GWS likely ran the numbers and with those 3 gone they get their TPP back under the cap.
Keeping Setterfield may not be easy for GWS.

Just get the boy here, SOS. Excited what he can evolve into alongside our youthful brigade of mids and 50 games of experience.

That's what the rumour was.
Again, I have no way of knowing, but it could explain why Setterfield, Shiel and Lobb were told to explore other club opportunities.
GWS likely ran the numbers and with those 3 gone they get their TPP back under the cap.
Keeping Setterfield may not be easy for GWS.

Possibly, from what I can fine first round draft picks get a base salary of $74,740. Hard to believe he'd be on 400K. More likely told be explore opportunities because he was drafted with at least 3 years of solid injury history as a junior and has only been fit enough to play two games since so it may be seen as a high risk recruit which has been a failure. With the amount of talent on their list already and amount of talent about to come in they really don't need a guy like that on their list.

I would think that if they want him to go it's more about them giving up on his body than his salary being an issue.

Or the whole thing is bunkum and they want him to stay and this is just us who have convinced him to go an nominate us.

Hope we get him but expectations aren't high.

Possibly, from what I can fine first round draft picks get a base salary of $74,740. Hard to believe he'd be on 400K. More likely told be explore opportunities because he was drafted with at least 3 years of solid injury history as a junior and has only been fit enough to play two games since so it may be seen as a high risk recruit which has been a failure. With the amount of talent on their list already and amount of talent about to come in they really don't need a guy like that on their list.

I would think that if they want him to go it's more about them giving up on his body than his salary being an issue.

Or the whole thing is bunkum and they want him to stay and this is just us who have convinced him to go an nominate us.

Hope we get him but expectations aren't high.

Essendon chased him as well.
It is not just a Blues wish.

Essendon chased him as well.
It is not just a Blues wish.

They did, he's still worth the risk for teams who aren't top clubs are are a little more desperate for top end talent. Well worth a shot for us and Bombers who aren't overflowing with top end talent and high draft picks like GWS.

GWS will do the right thing and try and get the most for him.

Losing a dasher like Byrne across hb and Schumacher not yet proven, we have less hbf’ers than what you think, Simmo on last legs too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back