News Will Setterfield nominates Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure thylacine60 will throw a cake in for you too - if you do a really good job, maybe he'll jump out of it...
I'm a quarter in and I regret not taking up the offer of real remuneration. This is painful. The_Wookie has my admiration.

Rumour is that Setterfield contract is $400,000 per.
GWS needing to dump money due to back-ending contracts now coming home to roost.
Hence, Setterfield staying is not in the best interest of GWS, especially if the player does not want to be there.

Rumour could be wrong.

I really think you should think these through.

Setterfield picked one spot ahead of SPS. Has played 2 games What is the prospect of him actually being on $400K

Setterfield picked one spot ahead of SPS. Has played 2 games What is the prospect of him actually being on $400K

He was given an extension, probs a juicy one so he wouldn't leave/actually sign it

We extended Dow 3 years passed his initial 2 before he had played a game, and O'Brien 2 probably similar money

As Caro would say, don't shoot the messenger.

That's what the rumour was. Is it true? I have no idea.

Handy work there, kudos (had a bit of it too). Sproule seemed similar.

Love the Harbro call for Harbrow.
Kennedy was noticeably more agile in this game, at least that's how it seemed to me. Got a crapload of the ball too. Really hope he comes back next year with that sort of movement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

371k is the average wage. this is what SPS is on roughly being first round pick with contract extention. so would marchbank, plowman, mckay, dow and obrien
I wouldn't put too much stock in the average wage figure. Maybe 25% of players earn the average wage or above? If that's right, it's not an accurate figure for the purposes of this convo. I'm not a statistics guru but I think the median wage would be far more accurate when talking about a player like Setterfield. The average wage figure is inflated compared to reality because a minority of players are on big dollars - anywhere up to three times as much as the average. If you can find a copy of the list of player-numbers-by-wage-bracket thing posted a few times recently it's a good example of what I mean.

Draftees are on $80-120k roughly for their first two years depending on where they were drafted. A talented young player who hasn't gotten on the park much probably isn't going to get his next contract in the $400k region, even if he's moving clubs and getting some extra coin for it.

Wtf is a ‘har-broh’. Harbrow has been around a fair while. I’ve never heard his name pronounced like that
The commentary team tried their best but I don't think they had a particularly good view of the action or knowledge of a lot of the players. Even in some of the short clips in the video they called things incorrectly, like Setters 'bad handpass' which was actually a fluffed bounce lol.

Why are we talking about money?

Thanks ShanDog

I hadn’t seen Setterfield in action.

Initial thoughts. Quick reactions. Decision making is good and unpredictable (confuses the oppo). Three goals. Two of them out of nowhere. Looks ok on his left side. Works hard when oppo has the ball. Impressive.

Why are we talking about money?

Thanks ShanDog

I hadn’t seen Setterfield in action.

Initial thoughts. Quick reactions. Decision making is good and unpredictable (confuses the oppo). Three goals. Two of them out of nowhere. Looks ok on his left side. Works hard when oppo has the ball. Impressive.
Yep, I'd say the same. Flicking through the whole video just watching for him, I came away thinking that he had good skills in tight, was a good decision-maker, covered a lot of ground (although not fast by any means) and seemed to position himself quite well most times. Basically, a good footy head to match the skills. Gotta be happy with that.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the average wage figure. Maybe 25% of players earn the average wage or above? If that's right, it's not an accurate figure for the purposes of this convo. I'm not a statistics guru but I think the median wage would be far more accurate when talking about a player like Setterfield. The average wage figure is inflated compared to reality because a minority of players are on big dollars - anywhere up to three times as much as the average. If you can find a copy of the list of player-numbers-by-wage-bracket thing posted a few times recently it's a good example of what I mean.

Draftees are on $80-120k roughly for their first two years depending on where they were drafted. A talented young player who hasn't gotten on the park much probably isn't going to get his next contract in the $400k region, even if he's moving clubs and getting some extra coin for it.
I totally disagree. Look at Boyd for an example. Weitering and co wouldn't have signed when they did for anything under $300k. $400k seems about right otherwise the kid has no incentive to sign on

If it is done for just a future second, that's an amazing pick-up.

We're going to have to be patient though. Knee reconstructions are an 18 month injury to get back to full performance, and he's only played 2 games so far. Ideally would spend 2019 in the reserves playing limited minute and rehabbing before maybe getting a taste of senior footy late in the year and then stepping it up in 2020.

We'll probably start him in the centre square in round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back