Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Article on the AFL website stating both Carlton and Essendon are keen on Will Setterfield.

VICTORIAN clubs are circling contracted Greater Western Sydney midfielder Will Setterfield.

Essendon and Carlton have emerged as suitors for the inside ball-winner who has been struck down by injury in his two years at the Giants.

Very highly rated as a junior, may have been in the pick 1 conversation when Essendon took McGrath, and of course Carlton put in a bid for him before taking SPS.

Contracted through 2020 but has suffered injuries in his time at the Giants.

What's he worth?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-16/exclusive-dons-blues-eye-contracted-giant-setterfield

Interesting one from Giants perspective.Really hard to know unless u r in the know with our salary cap situation.As he's contracted we would be asking for a fair bit otherwise better off holding on to him for at least a year and he can show what he's capable of.Depends also on his mindset.He would definitely have been in our best 22this year.If his mindset is' I will back myself' I can't see him going to Carlton for example.Different to someone like Kennedy for example who never really showed he was good enough at the Giants despite opportunities.

Interesting one from Giants perspective.Really hard to know unless u r in the know with our salary cap situation.As he's contracted we would be asking for a fair bit otherwise better off holding on to him for at least a year and he can show what he's capable of.Depends also on his mindset.He would definitely have been in our best 22this year.If his mindset is' I will back myself' I can't see him going to Carlton for example.Different to someone like Kennedy for example who never really showed he was good enough at the Giants despite opportunities.
Kennedy kicked 3 on debut from memory.

Didnt seem damaging enough with the ball though

Probably a pick between 12-15 with a third going back
Your kidding yourself if you think you will get any change out of a pick like that.

It would take 12-15 by itself as the least i imagine.
GWS dont need to cull list numbers and salary like they did 2 years ago. Setterfield is contracted and will be hard to pry at all.

We should play a bigfooty closest to the mark contest, as for who the next Giant linked back to Victoria will be, and when the article will appear.

My prediction is: Himmelberg (even though he's from Wagga Wagga and spent some of his childhood in Queensland). He fits the mould of, player who has forced his way into our best 22 from the fringes, has performed very well of late, and signed his previous extension for more than a year ago, so is clearly "unsettled". Article will appear next Tuesday at 12pm. Bookmark it.

We should play a bigfooty closest to the mark contest, as for who the next Giant linked back to Victoria will be, and when the article will appear.

My prediction is: Himmelberg (even though he's from Wagga Wagga and spent some of his childhood in Queensland). He fits the mould of, player who has forced his way into our best 22 from the fringes, has performed very well of late, and signed his previous extension for more than a year ago, so is clearly "unsettled". Article will appear next Tuesday at 12pm. Bookmark it.
I would have thought it would be patton or greene since they are both injured atm therefore worth a token 4th round pick.

Since they are injured they clearly want to go to play for a victorian club

Gotta love the GWS fan club. They amass a huge selection of young, talented players through a s**t load of AFL handouts and a bogus Academy zone, trade some of those players for even more picks for new young talented players and then whinge when other clubs eye off their war chest. You seriously expect other clubs to not pursue your deeply talented list out of some form of respect? Get over yourselves.

Gotta love the GWS fan club. They amass a huge selection of young, talented players through a s**t load of AFL handouts and a bogus Academy zone, trade some of those players for even more picks for new young talented players and then whinge when other clubs eye off their war chest. You seriously expect other clubs to not pursue your deeply talented list out of some form of respect? Get over yourselves.
When they get robbed as much as they do every year it works out fine Vic clubs shouldn't complain they've got plenty of GWS players very cheap over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love the little vics who latch on to any vfl media report that says one of our players might be leaving.

How desperate you must be.

Pathetic and sad really.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It would be frustrating for them they have some great talent we all get attached to our own players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no issues at all with our players being targetted. Every club has the opportunity to try and sign any of our players, and it's a system that works. It's just interesting, to consider the ratio between- how many of these reports come out throughout the year, and how many of those players end up leaving.

From memory, Lobb has wanted out three times, Tomlinson- four, Shiel- three, Coniglio- a couple, Cameron- twice, Hopper- definitely gone, Kelly- definitely gone and now we can add Settlefield to the mix :thumbsu:

If players want out, then they have every opportunity to leave. It just doesn't happen very often.

Pursuing a contracted player recovering from an acl injury= get over yourselves? It would be a very essendon/carlton move though.

Could be
:DTommo is a perennial and shouldn't be underestimated though.

When they get robbed as much as they do every year it works out fine Vic clubs shouldn't complain they've got plenty of GWS players very cheap over the years.
GWS haven't gotten robbed at the trade table more than any other club over the past 5 years.

Gotta love the little vics who latch on to any vfl media report that says one of our players might be leaving.

How desperate you must be.

Pathetic and sad really.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What's pathetic and sad is a grown man attributing any suggestion that a rival club being into one of your many young, talented players is nothing more than some spin by the evil VFL media machine. Trading players is a part of the game, GWS had no issues poaching players at their foundation? Stop screeching on every occasion that a trade involving a GWS player is mooted.

It would be frustrating for them they have some great talent we all get attached to our own players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Of course it's frustrating. I've seen Ryder leave, Carlisle leave, Melksham and Hibberd leave and also had to sit through a whole year of talk about how half our best 22 was going to walk out because of the drug scandal. On the flip side, not having people ask questions about your players means you've got a pretty average team. I wish Essendon was subject to these discussions, it would be great. It would mean we've actually got a good team.

I have no issues at all with our players being targetted. Every club has the opportunity to try and sign any of our players, and it's a system that works. It's just interesting, to consider the ratio between- how many of these reports come out throughout the year, and how many of those players end up leaving.

From memory, Lobb has wanted out three times, Tomlinson- four, Shiel- three, Coniglio- a couple, Cameron- twice, Hopper- definitely gone, Kelly- definitely gone and now we can add Settlefield to the mix :thumbsu:

If players want out, then they have every opportunity to leave. It just doesn't happen very often.
Do you really think GWS gets treated any worse, keeping in mind at just how deep your list of young talent bats, than any other club?

Pursuing a contracted player recovering from an acl injury= get over yourselves? It would be a very essendon/carlton move though.
Says a guy supporting a club that had no qualms about poaching Dayne Beams with a year left to run on his contract. There is no rule against enquiring about players on a contract, get over it.

Yes, because GWS players being traded to a victorian club is so uncommon

If the Giants think they’ll only lose this nobody because of cap issues in the next 18 months then they are in DENIAL!!! Lol, this kid be on about 200k and Leon ‘ the Thorrow Brow’ Cameron thinks that he may be the biggest name that leaves!!! Yep, we’ll see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back