Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
His bad concussion un 2017 when copped an accidental knee from Fyfe was just plain bad luck.
His ACL in the unofficial pre-season trial against the Swans this year a bit more of a worry . Most players come back well from an ACL these days, but it's a case by case thing.

I very much doubt he'll get a pre-season this year, or be ready to go round 1 next year. Has a very high upside though.

Goldsack did his ACL after Setterfield and came back to play finals. Should be able to get a decent pre season in surely...

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Goldsack did his ACL after Setterfield and came back to play finals. Should be able to get a decent pre season in surely...
So did Zac William's. There was plenty of noise about Zac in the weeks leading up to his return in the Reagan reports. Strlarting running, joining the main group etc. D Same for Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy earlier in the year. There's been nothing about Setterfield and we're a couple of weeks from the off-season training starting for a second year player.

Whether he goes or not I certainly wish his rehab well, but the signs are there's a bit to go.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
So did Zac William's. There was plenty of noise about Zac in the weeks leading up to his return in the Reagan reports. Strlarting running, joining the main group etc. D Same for Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy earlier in the year. There's been nothing about Setterfield and we're a couple of weeks from the off-season training starting for a second year player.

Whether he goes or not I certainly wish his rehab well, but the signs are there's a bit to go.

Fair point. Perhaps it takes a bit longer for an undeveloped body as well, particularly building up the muscles around the legs and all. Hope it goes well for him.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just a general question - why is there so little interest in Will Setterfield? Barely any mention about him in the media questions, SOS always refers to him as a throwaway after being asked about Shiel.

This bloke is a potential Bont clone if he can rid himself of his injuries, and we're talking about him like he's chopped liver. What gives?

Even on Bfooty, this thread is so slow moving.

I want this guy more than Shiel lol...and definitelymore than McGovern.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Big Carlton Essendon arm wrestle over Shiel and setterfield

Which way will it fall? 1 each?
Many possible outcomes:

Outcome 1:
Shiel - Hawthorn
Setterfield - Essendon

Outcome 2:
Shiel - Hawthorn
Setterfield - Carlton

Outcome 3:
Shiel - Carlton
Setterfield - Essendon

Outcome 4:
Shiel - Carlton
Setterfield - Carlton

Outcome 5:
GWS: Go **** yourself boys, hands off our players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
His bad concussion un 2017 when copped an accidental knee from Fyfe was just plain bad luck.
His ACL in the unofficial pre-season trial against the Swans this year a bit more of a worry . Most players come back well from an ACL these days, but it's a case by case thing.

I very much doubt he'll get a pre-season this year, or be ready to go round 1 next year. Has a very high upside though.

ACLs are an interesting injury - do one and it can quite easily be a freak occurrence do a second and it's likely a genetic predisposition/biomechanics thing .

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Big Carlton Essendon arm wrestle over Shiel and setterfield

Which way will it fall? 1 each?

Not sure Essendon were ever a realistic Shiel chance as we were never going to make a big enough contract offer and are very keen to maintain a presence in the first round after last year.

We definitely had a crack at Setterfield though so I'm sure it'll be disappointing for Essendon to miss out on him if that's the way it plays out .

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure Essendon were ever a realistic Shiel chance as we were never going to make a big enough contract offer and are very keen to maintain a presence in the first round after last year.

We definitely had a crack at Setterfield though so I'm sure it'll be disappointing to miss for Essendon to miss out on him if that's the way it plays out .
Hey Ambrosia, have you Bombers fans heard anything regarding Setterfield? The way you're speaking it seems like you're not that confident? Spoke to my boss this morning (Bombers nut) who still reckons you guys are still 50/50 with us, and he does have a few connections with the club.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Just a general question - why is there so little interest in Will Setterfield? Barely any mention about him in the media questions, SOS always refers to him as a throwaway after being asked about Shiel.

This bloke is a potential Bont clone if he can rid himself of his injuries, and we're talking about him like he's chopped liver. What gives?

Even on Bfooty, this thread is so slow moving.

I want this guy more than Shiel lol...and definitelymore than McGovern.

I think it's cos he's only played two games. Once he gets a mention it'll heat up but I reckon it'll be one of those ones that's gets revisited once we see how good he is.

Wherever he goes, it'd be nice to see all this potential that gets spoken about.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Hey Ambrosia, have you Bombers fans heard anything regarding Setterfield? The way you're speaking it seems like you're not that confident? Spoke to my boss this morning (Bombers nut) who still reckons you guys are still 50/50 with us, and he does have a few connections with the club.

I would say that we have been going harder at this guy than Shiel by a fair margin. Not sure if that effects anything mind you.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

No idea. Closest thing I have to inside info on Setterfield is the Carlton Bluemor thread which has him going to you guys.

I expect playing alongside Cripps is a big draw card for Setterfield given Essendon lack that gun big bodied grunt player and Setterfield probably doesn't see himself as that type of mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back