Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Carlton with #71 for #43 & future 2nd round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Another gws reject shipped off to carlton. Is that a dozen now?

Settefield has genuine talent, we rated him number 1 in the 2016 draft.

But he has been injury prone all his career, including at junior level. Hence, the discount price.

Could be a steal for the Blues. Don't know much about him, tbh, but the injury history seems to be the only knock on him based on what I've read and that's factored in to the price paid. Worth the punt with that upside.

We haven't been burnt on many trades like this. Ahern has shown a bit, Pickett would not get a game in a good side, Kennedy has his limitations and has limited potential, Marchbank can't kick. Setters is probably the best of them but I wonder what the club knows of his injury, rehab has been slow. Problem with high draft picks is the ego, quite a few just expect it to happen for them and expect to be best 22 from year 1 or 2.

Was terrific for us against The Dons last night. Showed glimpses of why he went at pick 6 in his draft. Once he gets fully fit, look out !

Good trading by SOS :)

I watch him closely out of interest on fox

To me he had a few "almost" moments and looked a bit out of sorts. It's his first game for 12 months so being a but rusty is hardly surprising.

He did what players should do when that happens. He chased and tackled hard trying to find a way to contribute.

With the Blues developing it's likely it'll be easier to follow the JLT games through to the ones. Hopefully he can, I think he has a lot of upside.

Looked very rusty, which is to be expected i suppose. Still has excellent lateral movement which is the most important thing about a return from a knee injury. I doubt he'll play round 1 but hopefully will get into the team after a month or so

Got through the game. Few good things. Still racked up 19 possies (17 kicks) and had a few shots on goal.

I like that he kicks much more than handballing. This may change a bit as he gets more into the guts.

The guy had a very good game after 2 knee recos.

Again, our recruiting team had a day out last year no matter what knightmare believes

Got through the game. Few good things. Still racked up 19 possies (17 kicks) and had a few shots on goal.

I like that he kicks much more than handballing. This may change a bit as he gets more into the guts.

The guy had a very good game after 2 knee recos.

Again, our recruiting team had a day out last year no matter what knightmare believes
Actually a single ACL. His first stint in rehab was a bad concussion from an accidental collision with a Nat Fyfe knee. Certainly deserves better luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't been burnt on many trades like this. Ahern has shown a bit, Pickett would not get a game in a good side, Kennedy has his limitations and has limited potential, Marchbank can't kick. Setters is probably the best of them but I wonder what the club knows of his injury, rehab has been slow. Problem with high draft picks is the ego, quite a few just expect it to happen for them and expect to be best 22 from year 1 or 2.
Setter doesnt strike me as the fig jam/look at me type.
you guys certainly lost out on this one.

When we had pick 1 in this draft, i was keen on either of McGrath, Taranto or Setterfield
Honestly thought we'd land Setter if/when he decided to leave.
I'd have happily forgone the return pick and added a little extra to the Shiel deal if Setter had been on the table.

Setter doesnt strike me as the fig jam/look at me type.
you guys certainly lost out on this one.

When we had pick 1 in this draft, i was keen on either of McGrath, Taranto or Setterfield
Honestly thought we'd land Setter if/when he decided to leave.
I'd have happily forgone the return pick and added a little extra to the Shiel deal if Setter had been on the table.
He chose the Blues is the reality. Not sure if it was money related. He was reputed to be on $400k with us. You'd expect his manager not to accept less. Hard to see anyone offering more though in the circumstances.

He chose the Blues is the reality. Not sure if it was money related. He was reputed to be on $400k with us. You'd expect his manager not to accept less. Hard to see anyone offering more though in the circumstances.
i think we would have.
Game time is my guess. Though with Myers turning 30, and not a lot of depth at essendon, i felt he'd have had a year or two to ease back from injury, and could have played when ready. Be it Rd1 2019, or a little later.

it is the ever so slightly bitter aftertaste of an otherwise sweet couple of years of trading where Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad came in.
I'd have been happy to offer our 2018 and 2019 1sts for Shiel and Setter with nothing in return.

i think we would have.
Game time is my guess. Though with Myers turning 30, and not a lot of depth at essendon, i felt he'd have had a year or two to ease back from injury, and could have played when ready

Who would he have been competing with at Essendon for an inside midfield role?

He’s got more competition at Carlton with Cripps, Dow and Kennedy at Carlton as young inside mids.

i think we would have.
Game time is my guess. Though with Myers turning 30, and not a lot of depth at essendon, i felt he'd have had a year or two to ease back from injury, and could have played when ready. Be it Rd1 2019, or a little later.

it is the ever so slightly bitter aftertaste of an otherwise sweet couple of years of trading where Shiel, Smith, Stringer and Saad came in.
I'd have been happy to offer our 2018 and 2019 1sts for Shiel and Setter with nothing in return.
I dont think there's much risk he would have played in the ones with us. Good sources saying he was rated our best prospect since Kelly.

An ACL isn't a huge risk but there us some. He looked to be moving laterally ok in the JKT and with the confidence to throw his body into the contest in the JLT, even though the touch wasn't there. That's a good sign.

He might be the WHE for Carlton.

A high draft pick that has not lived up to Expectations and not had the best Injury Run.

Get Him Fit and he might get something close to what he showed why he was Rated to be Worth Pick 6

He might be the WHE for Carlton.

A high draft pick that has not lived up to Expectations and not had the best Injury Run.

Get Him Fit and he might get something close to what he showed why he was Rated to be Worth Pick 6

Extremelyyyyyyyyy different.

Setterfield more highly rated internally and around the competition and barely got a chance to play senior football due to injury.

WHE played 50 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back