Traded Will Setterfield [traded to Essendon with pick 68 for Essendon's F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

we aren't moving out a more than reasonable pick to miss on getting another talented kid in before a Davey bid just to get a bloke who could more than likely be had as a DFA (he is currently out of contract)
Setterfield won’t be DFA, but fair enough if you think the bid for Davey doesn’t come before 22?

Similar to Acres
Blake Acres was best 22 for Fremantle this year for a team that made finals.

Setterfield played 13 games as midfield depth this year and, at best, is 5th in line for midfield minutes at the Blues.

If you legitimately consider those equivalent in value, I cant help you.

Would prefer a pick upgrade instead of taking a late pick, but I doubt the Bombers would be accommodating to this.

He can play to an acceptable standard when he’s played as an inside mid, but he doesn’t have many tricks as a player. We kept playing him on a flank all throughout his 4 years and it hasn’t helped him and hasn’t really helped us either.

I’ll say he’s a good tackler, there’s just not a lot to his game. Can win some contested ball, OK field kick, but also prone to turning the ball over and is good for a couple of howlers a game.

Blake Acres was best 22 for Fremantle this year for a team that made finals.

Setterfield played 13 games as midfield depth this year and, at best, is 5th in line for midfield minutes at the Blues.

If you legitimately consider those equivalent in value, I cant help you.
Both were wanted by their clubs, but not wanted enough to offer a good enough contract to keep them. Both are a bigger need at their new clubs.
Setterfield was behind Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy in the middle at Carlton, but will be starting centre square at Essendon.

we aren't moving out a more than reasonable pick to miss on getting another talented kid in before a Davey bid just to get a bloke who could more than likely be had as a DFA (he is currently out of contract)
Report in the paper today was that Davey hadn’t decided to nominate yet. Going to base it on managers advice.

Report in the paper today was that Davey hadn’t decided to nominate yet. Going to base it on managers advice.
alternatively, open discussion on the Bombers board right now suggests that father/son nominations haven't officially opened yet and as such not officially lodged. Ashcroft did so assuming on the proviso of putting to bed all the who ha early in the year.

Couple of Options

Carlton > Essendon Setterfield and Pick 29
Carlton < Essendon Pick 22
Values Setterfield at Pick 57

Carlton > Essendon Setterfield and Picks 64 & 68
Carlton < Essendon Pick 42
Values Setterfield at Pick 53

That would be a fantastic outcome, but alas, highly improbable (although I do admire your optimism mate :) )

Couple of Options

We are not giving up pick 22 unless it is getting pulled in earlier.

We should not be giving up anything of note for an out of contract fringe inside midfielder who has not been able to 'crack it' at (now) two AFL clubs.

I like the presumptions here but id suggest this gets done for a future 4th rounder or something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setterfield is a list clogger. I'd be surprised to see him on any AFL list in 2023. Disposal is attrocious. Decision making poor. Slow. Lacks versatility.

Any club considering him should only be looking at him as an inside midfielder. He's been tried in every possible role at Carlton and that's the only one he's had any success in, albeit mostly at VFL level. But if you want a fringe inside midfielder from Carlton's list you should be looking at Paddy Dow, not this bloke.

Setterfield is a list clogger. I'd be surprised to see him on any AFL list in 2023. Disposal is attrocious. Decision making poor. Slow. Lacks versatility.

Any club considering him should only be looking at him as an inside midfielder. He's been tried in every possible role at Carlton and that's the only one he's had any success in, albeit mostly at VFL level. But if you want a fringe inside midfielder from Carlton's list you should be looking at Paddy Dow, not this bloke.

All of my Carlton mates disagree. Dow has been given ample opportunity and is just a dumb footballer with average skills is what they say. He has some speed but doesn’t know what to do with the footy and struggles to find it or have any major impact. They all preferred Setterfield over Dow and said played in the right role he will be handy, just no spot for him at Carlton in the midfield which is fair enough.

He's not that bad. Jesus I've heard of taking a swing at a player on the way out but this is next level.

He's lack opportunities in his best position- inside mid - over the past 2 seasons. Covid season beforehand. His last two games as an inside mid were his best for the club. He could become a very good footballer

He's not that bad. Jesus I've heard of taking a swing at a player on the way out but this is next level.

He's lack opportunities in his best position- inside mid - over the past 2 seasons. Covid season beforehand. His last two games as an inside mid were his best for the club. He could become a very good footballer
Setterfield is what he is. A second string mid that contributes as a 18-30 list player. Carlton hoped he would be more than that when he was picked up but others have gone well past him.

The Blues moving on Dow, Stocker, Setterfield, Cuningham types are a step in the right direction. Can’t have players clogging the list based on what they showed in under 18s.

Setterfield is what he is. A second string mid that contributes as a 18-30 list player. Carlton hoped he would be more than that when he was picked up but others have gone well past him.

The Blues moving on Dow, Stocker, Setterfield, Cuningham types are a step in the right direction. Can’t have players clogging the list based on what they showed in under 18s.
I agree he is surplus to needs, just don't think the rhetoric from the previous poster was accurate.

Couple of Options

You don’t get pick up grades with decent picks involved when trading this caliber of player. There is 0 chance the top trade happens

All of my Carlton mates disagree. Dow has been given ample opportunity and is just a dumb footballer with average skills is what they say. He has some speed but doesn’t know what to do with the footy and struggles to find it or have any major impact. They all preferred Setterfield over Dow and said played in the right role he will be handy, just no spot for him at Carlton in the midfield which is fair enough.
Agreed.

Neither are taking the club forward, but I can only see Setterfield becoming a handy contributor at another club.

Doesn’t sound like there is any interest in Dow, which is telling. Will likely spend an extra year on the list before the club tries again to facilitate a trade if not outright delists him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back