Will Seven Bring back the Footy Marathon? They should.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Stevie_Crow

All Australian
Aug 12, 2007
South Yarra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Granted they don't have the Grand Final this year, but will they bring back the Marathon on GF eve?

One of my fave memories as a young tacker was staying up as late as i could watching all those highlights - Better than xmas i reckon.

Would be one of the better things they have done this year....

Sherman_11

Senior List
Aug 23, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It'd be great if they did. I use to love it too.

They could show all their old grand finals, you know the games that weren't ruined by crappy camera work or moronic commentators.

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
In last five years they have packaged it a bit differently and more compact.

Kevin Sheedy hosted it one year and it was really only a quarter of particular Grand Finals as opposed to what they did in previous years. It only went for a couple of hours.

The best was in late eighties when Coodabeens hosted it.

Went all night, got wasted and watched big game with hangover.

I think they feel the all night concept is over in this day and age.

With DVDs available of the GFs and Foxtel they might be right.

Alphanumeric

Premiership Player
Jun 29, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Me, my old man and about 8 other blokes used to watch it every year at someones house. We used to start drinking at 8.30 playing cards with the Footy Marathon on.

Most of use to go all the way through. Then we watched the North Melbourne Breakfast, then the under 19. Half way through the reserves the wives turned up and we had a BBQ and then we watched the big one.

Gee those days were great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Loved the marathon, except they kept on showing the same games over and over in its last few years, particularly '97 W.B. v Adel, great comeback but its been shown to death, '96 Syd v Ess and '94 Geel v Foots are only good to see Plugga and Brownless' kick.

But to answer the question....get ready for Guthy Renker, Jessica Simpson's Pro-Activ Acne Solutions, and This is you Day with Benny Hinn. Knowing Seven now, they wouldn't have the foresight to schedule the marathon where really its just playing archived footage they have...or FOX plans to do it?

thequarry

Team Captain
Apr 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Fox Footy did it, but a lot of the older stuff was the ABC coverage of matches (anything up until the end of the 80s I think?).
They also had Finals Fever throughout September, which showed the entirety of finals matches as standalone programs.

Grand final marathon + too excited to really sleep (funny how I never really outgrew that) + morning scratch match with the lads + enough beer to kill the Hordes of Genghis Khan = lights out by 6:00pm Grand Final day. Pretty much every year of the nineties followed that pattern for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back