Will Shaun Burgoyne complete a rare 'trifecta' on retiring?

Remove this Banner Ad

More about his individual deeds. many make the HOF despite winning no flags. Think of Bobby Skilton and ablett Snr. i think he might struggle to make ours. If he does, players like Geoff Ablett would have merit to feel aggrieved
No question about making HFC's HOF - insiders know how influential he is during the "big" moments.

No question about making HFC's HOF - insiders know how influential he is during the "big" moments.

Of course, he is in the best 22 for the Hawks that i have seen and I have viewed since 71

Also, on your point of 'insiders know how influential he is during big moments'

Why isn't Don Scott a legend in out HOF fame?

Premiership hero, lauded captain, and saviours of club :)

Seriously - not being a Port legend and life member - if he was at Richmond he will already be a legend and life member after 1 premiership

Of course, he is in the best 22 for the Hawks that i have seen and I have viewed since 71

I’m not disagreeing with you but he’s pretty vocal in his criticizing of the club.

That’s not going to help him.

At this stage if it was announced that he was to become a legend, I would fully expect him to come out saying he has declined the offer

I be shocked to be sitting here if he didn’t

I found Don hard to watch. Ungainly, all flying body parts and thrashing machine softened by the occasional piece of skill.
Played with unbelievable tenacity, spirit, and guts, brutally effective, but one of the least attractive footballers game-play wise you'd see. Got worse skills wise the older he got.....

He's a legend for his work to save the club and the blood he spilled of others and himself to achieve the teams goals - but that'd be it.
Maybe that should be enough.

Last edited:
I’m not disagreeing with you but he’s pretty vocal in his criticizing of the club.

That’s not going to help him.

At this stage if it was announced that he was to become a legend, I would fully expect him to come out saying he has declined the offer

I be shocked to be sitting here if he didn’t

That's the dilemma of Don Scott, saving the club from extinction, yet constantly criticising everything about it.

I heard him interviewed on radio 2-3 months back, and he spent the time laughing at the club's plans for Dingley: not just criticising but laughing, suggesting the club was crazy.

And he's never said anything positive about Alan Jeans or Clarko.

He's a sad, crazy old man.

He may have played great in this match but never thought he was a great player or him being referred to as a great player.
Scott, Tuck, Lethal, Knights, Moore were were great players and cannot have Ablett alongside these players and thats
no disrespect to Ablett.

Your a tough judge, I think Ablett was so good he was freakish. But each to their own I guess.

I found Don hard to watch. Ungainly, all flying body parts and thrashing machine softened by the occasional piece of skill.
Played with unbelievable tenacity, spirit, and guts, brutally effective, but one of the least attractive footballers game-play wise you'd see. Got worse skills wise the older he got.....

He's a legend for his work to save the club and the blood he spilled of others and himself to achieve the teams goals - but that's be it.
Maybe that should be enough.

You do not have to look good to be effective. And Scott was plenty effective. Aside from Arthur and Hodge, our best ever captain as well. Then our saviour. Without Scott their is no Hawthorn.

I think a good few forget this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the dilemma of Don Scott, saving the club from extinction, yet constantly criticising everything about it.

I heard him interviewed on radio 2-3 months back, and he spent the time laughing at the club's plans for Dingley: not just criticising but laughing, suggesting the club was crazy.

And he's never said anything positive about Alan Jeans or Clarko.

He's a sad, crazy old man.

So, you are basing it on Scott's incendiary and unpredictable persona.

What are your thoughts on Parkin being a legend in our HOF

Great player, fine captain, and a great coach. Lovely fellow as well.

The rub is he sees himself as a Carlton man. A team old-time Hawks fans HATE with a passion. After leaving the Hawks to coach Carlton in the early 80s, he has always identified with the Blues before the Hawks. Even recently, watch the FOX Footy ad where Parko is singing the Blues song as their figurehead.

But, he is a Legend in our HOF

I am being pedantic in a VFL tribal sense but this gets me big time

Don Scott is an utter legend - I'd have him, Dunstall and Kennedy as the most important figures in the club's history.
Unfortunately he is also very divisive politically, hence the reluctance to have him as a legend.

So, you are basing it on Scott's incendiary and unpredictable persona.

What are your thoughts on Parkin being a legend in our HOF

Great player, fine captain, and a great coach. Lovely fellow as well.

The rub is he sees himself as a Carlton man. A team old-time Hawks fans HATE with a passion. After leaving the Hawks to coach Carlton in the early 80s, he has always identified with the Blues before the Hawks. Even recently, watch the FOX Footy ad where Parko is singing the Blues song as their figurehead.

But, he is a Legend in our HOF

I am being pedantic in a VFL tribal sense but this gets me big time
David Parkin may well have been singing in that Fox ad, but I can tell you now he is Hawthorn through and through.

David Parkin may well have been singing in that Fox ad, but I can tell you now he is Hawthorn through and through.

I would dispute this. More Carlton than Hawthorn to me. I do not know your vintage. To me, a player from Parkin's time at the club would never have gone to Carlton. Just thinking of how shamefully we were treated by Carlton when moving to their dungheap from Glenferrie. Even our players by their feral fans.

Granted an irrational bias, but, no, just no. It is very like the punt Road hatred in the VFL days b/n Richmond/Pies. To me, I only hate Essendon more, but this was after Carlton, and to a lesser degree 'Norf'.

I would dispute this. More Carlton than Hawthorn to me. I do not know your vintage. To me, a player from Parkin's time at the club would never have gone to Carlton. Just thinking of how shamefully we were treated by Carlton when moving to their dungheap from Glenferrie. Even our players by their feral fans.

Granted an irrational bias, but, no, just no. It is very like the punt Road hatred in the VFL days b/n Richmond/Pies. To me, I only hate Essendon more, but this was after Carlton, and to a lesser degree 'Norf'.
Lol he most certainly isn't, Hawthorn through and through.

Umm No David Parkin is Hawthorn throughh and through. Word of warning if u say otherwise my old man will fight u to the death

My old man always said that parkin and scott were two great captains of Hawthorn. The difeerence being Parkin would lay down his life for u whilest scott would kill for u. Metaphorically speakin of course

He's obviously going to have an attachment of some sorts to Carlton - he coached them to three flags!

But his values are Hawthorn. And as for a player from his time at the club going to Carlton, this was Parkin speaking on the HFC website about John Kennedy senior:

"“This club, more than any other club in the competition still holds that [caring] as a high value,” he said.

“We do think of ourselves as a family and we work at it to look after our people.”

Note how he uses the word "We" - case closed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back