Will/Should clubs raid Richmond's list?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a ridiculous generalisation.

So everyone who supports a sporting team is an abject failure and hasn't achieved anything in life?
5d1930531c56c55198a44f81212ab4d1.jpg

But I love it so much more when I have an emotional investment in the outcome.
For example, being with other Liverpool "wierdos" when we came from 3-0 at half time to beat AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League Final was extraordinary. Same with being part of the "Tiger Army" after last years Grand Final.
For someone to believe that they are "above that" is quite sad, IMO only, of course.

But I love it so much more when I have an emotional investment in the outcome.
For example, being with other Liverpool "wierdos" when we came from 3-0 at half time to beat AC Milan in the 2005 Champions League Final was extraordinary. Same with being part of the "Tiger Army" after last years Grand Final.
For someone to believe that they are "above that" is quite sad, IMO only, of course.

I think it's sad that a grown person needs to latch onto feeling 'part of something' in order to be happy with themselves. Actually, I wouldn't say it's sad. It doesn't make me sad - but it does puzzle me to be honest. I get it with kids, but with adults?

I love sport, and get caught up in the contest. But I'm mature enough to know that I'm not part of it. These are the achievements of other people. I admire their abilities, and in most cases respect them as athletes - but within 10 minutes of the siren going, it's back to reality.

The same as watching a movie or a TV show.

And you know what happens when you observe sport like this? You actually are impartial and far more capable of logical and sensible thought and discussion. You're not always right - but you are far more logical and balanced.

This thread is a perfect example.

I think it's sad that an grown person needs to latch onto feeling 'part of something' in order to be happy with themselves. Actually, I wouldn't say it's sad. It doesn't make me sad - but it does puzzle me to be honest. I get it with kids, but with adults?

I love sport, and get caught up in the contest. But I'm mature enough to know that I'm not part of it. These are the achievements of other people. I admire their abilities, and in most cases respect them as athletes - but within 10 minutes of the siren going, it's back to reality.

And you know what happens when you observe sport like this? You actually are impartial and far more capable of logical and sensible thought and discussion. You're not always right - but you are far more logical.

Again, you are making an assumption that you have no right to make.
Supporting teams is only one part of my life and you have no idea, nor will you ever have, what part of my life it makes up.

Logical??? Who are you?

images

Again, you are making an assumption that you have no right to make.
Supporting teams is only one part of my life and you have no idea, nor will you ever have, what part of my life it makes up.

Logical??? Who are you?

images

As I said, 'support' can be defined many ways and has varying degrees. But loving being part of the 'Tiger Army'?? That's latching on to something to make you feel good about yourself dude.

As I said, 'support' can be defined many ways and has varying degrees. But loving being part of the 'Tiger Army'?? That's latching on to something to make you feel good about yourself dude.
Crap!!
Seriously, Dude!
It makes me feel good, yes but you make that sound like that's a bad thing!
Maybe if it was the only thing that defines me but it is far from it.
Tell me, does finding common ground with other people lessen me in any way or does it reinforce my humanity?

Post a picture of the membership card then with your comp, tablet or phione opened on big footy in the back ground. Lying bugger. Why lie. Nobody knows you on here so you shouldn't have anything to prove to anyone, but you're desperate to be right ALL THE TIME. its sad.

Your argument was that every one else bar the top 4 were replaceble by any other afl player. I clearly provided evidence that you're wrong so now you change the argument to one of the top 4 being injured would kill us. Who knows in hypotheticals. In this case you've been proved to be wrong. Again. An honourable man can admit he was wrong. You won't. Case closed.
Look im a tiger supporter who is prepared to look evenly at both sides of an argument.His point of view has merit.

You could go out and get players rather easily who have the same attributes as many of our players and have them fit into our system and quite frankly achieve what they have done.
What cannot be replaced so easily are players who gell the team together Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin there is no way in the world we would make finals if we lost all 4 and bottom 4 or 6 a more likely outcome.
Unfortunately for us as far as the talls go if we lost JR who comes in?? The most likely is Callum Moore who is still on the rookie list and is in yr 3 and has just 2 AFL games to his credit.Thats not depth its a dilemma. Its a massive drop off.

Who comes in if Rance or even Astbury copped long term injuries. There's only Garthwaite a second yr pick 73?? with no games to his credit and we dont even know if he will be a keeper or not.Theres also Balta a 1st yr player who may or may not be ready for a few games but has no games behind him.
Once again it is a massive drop of theres no experience in the wings or even development players with games behind them.

Who comes into the team if we lose Martin or Cotchin or lets say both, this happens quite regularly to teams. Theres only Anthony Miles who has done anything decent at the level then who.

Good teams middling teams poor teams they all have their share of replaceable players and foot soldiers, as a premiership team we have more than our fair share and we have too heavy a reliance on our top end.

Depends on how you define 'support'. But generally speaking - yes.

It's the ultimate in living vicariously through others, because you lack the ability yourself to achieve anything.

Sad. You portray yourself as this person who is so much smarter and above than everyone on this forum.

As humans we are naturally wired to have a sense of belonging whether it is being patriotic, religion, sporting team, family etc. Maybe some people don’t have a family and get their sense of belonging through a sporting team. Or maybe they just you know, really enjoy football because it’s fun?

So I’m not sure who you think you are making an assumption that because people are emotionally invested in a sport aren’t able to achieve anything in their life and live it through other people’s shoes, which is completely false.

I just feel sorry for you, you don’t get to enjoy football like the rest of us do.

Last edited:
Sad. You portray yourself as this person who is so much smarter and above than everyone on this forum.

As humans we are naturally wired to have a sense of belonging whether it is being patriotic, religion, sporting team, family etc. Maybe some people don’t have a family or are not religious and get their sense of belonging through a sporting team. Or maybe they just you know, really enjoy football because it’s fun?

So I’m not sure who you think you are making an assumption that because people are emotionally invested in a sport aren’t able to achieve anything in their life and live it through other people’s shoes, which is completely false.

I just feel sorry for you, you don’t get to enjoy football like the rest of us do.
Think we shouldn't give him any more oxygen, he's one of these "internet 101" types that takes a small piece of any reply to run with and ignores the major part of the response.
Waste of time.

I think it's sad that a grown person needs to latch onto feeling 'part of something' in order to be happy with themselves. Actually, I wouldn't say it's sad. It doesn't make me sad - but it does puzzle me to be honest. I get it with kids, but with adults?

And you know what happens when you observe sport like this? You actually are impartial and far more capable of logical and sensible thought and discussion. You're not always right - but you are far more logical and balanced.

Boring.

As I said, depends on your definition of what 'supports' is.

But based on the bizarre, borderline hysterical response to sensible sport discussion by some 'supporters' in this thread - the answer appears to be a pretty solid 'yes'.

I support Richmond and always have. I was never interested in playing football myself but have achieved plenty in other areas.

Saying all supporters support because they can't achieve anything themself is ridiculous.

whilst the second sentence is true ill have to disagree with the first

i guess depending on your definition of "big money" i would argue that players like Astbury, Rioli, Prestia, Vlastuin, Nankervis are all worth pretty decent coin
I don't see another team paying 800k+ or giving up a 1st round pick for those players.

I don't see another team paying 800k+ or giving up a 1st round pick for those players.

yeh but how many teams have players outside their best 3 or 4 that are worth 800k+?

very few, if any imo

all the players i listed + more would definitely be off interest to other teams on good coin if they were available

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look im a tiger supporter who is prepared to look evenly at both sides of an argument.His point of view has merit.

You could go out and get players rather easily who have the same attributes as many of our players and have them fit into our system and quite frankly achieve what they have done.
What cannot be replaced so easily are players who gell the team together Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin there is no way in the world we would make finals if we lost all 4 and bottom 4 or 6 a more likely outcome.
Unfortunately for us as far as the talls go if we lost JR who comes in?? The most likely is Callum Moore who is still on the rookie list and is in yr 3 and has just 2 AFL games to his credit.Thats not depth its a dilemma. Its a massive drop off.

Who comes in if Rance or even Astbury copped long term injuries. There's only Garthwaite a second yr pick 73?? with no games to his credit and we dont even know if he will be a keeper or not.Theres also Balta a 1st yr player who may or may not be ready for a few games but has no games behind him.
Once again it is a massive drop of theres no experience in the wings or even development players with games behind them.

Who comes into the team if we lose Martin or Cotchin or lets say both, this happens quite regularly to teams. Theres only Anthony Miles who has done anything decent at the level then who.

Good teams middling teams poor teams they all have their share of replaceable players and foot soldiers, as a premiership team we have more than our fair share and we have too heavy a reliance on our top end.
The argument is not if about our depth, it is about other than the big 4, the rest are a bunch of roll players.

This is a legacy on this forum where Richmond were the butt of everyones jokes because even we we were mildly successful, we were still bombing out of finals. So nobody took much notice or bothered to notice that we were building a good list of very professional players like Grimes, Vlaustin, Asbury, Houli, etc, just to name the back line alone.

Nor did they notice the speed we injected which took everyone by surprise. Rioli was incredibly important in our finals campaign, not just for the 4 very good goals he kicked against GWS, but the tackling and pressure he applies. He is like his cousin, make a mistake and he will make you pay. Edwards cut everyone up, but nobody notices because all they hear on the TV is the big 4. And our dispassionate friend Lavender has taken this to new heights.

Lavender, you have derailed this thread, you are a dud, a fugazi but I am glad you got some comfort and interaction out of the notifications on this board.

I for one am disappointed the original conversation didn't continue.

I hope you find a job soon and chill out on the internet vitriol.

If supporting an institution such as Richmond is childish, sitting on the interwebs crying and being salty is pre-embryonic.

Lavender, you have derailed this thread, you are a dud, a fugazi but I am glad you got some comfort and interaction out of the notifications on this board.

I for one am disappointed the original conversation didn't continue.

I hope you find a job soon and chill out on the internet vitriol.

If supporting an institution such as Richmond is childish, sitting on the interwebs crying and being salty is pre-embryonic.
You should probably re-read my posts.

I want to compliment the Tiges on their depth, but is it too deep?

Excluding the superstars, the Richmond rotation of forwards could include:
Naish
Higgins
Chol
Stengle
Graham
Balta
Baker
Moore
Drummond
Bolton
Townsend
Short
Castagna
Lloyd
Caddy
Rioli
Lambert
Butler
Edwards

and there also is Miles, C. Ellis, Menadue

After a flag, player managers can expect to see their player's wages go up. Some players want more opportunity.

There are strategies that clubs can use to combat this, and Richmond are in a fine position to do so, but normally something will give.
Naish - very very skinny very very outside first yr player h/b imo
Higgins - has his knockers a first yr player who will need to play as a mid to make it imo. Clubs didnt rate him hence he slipped to us..
Chol - in yr 4 ? and we lack talls but still cant crack a game.
Stengle - Looks a likely type but is struggling to crack a game with other sml/fwds being prefered.
Graham - Is a mid has been great defensively but really has struggled to get his hands on the ball at AFL level.Regular 22 not depth
Balta - 1st yr kid who also slipped down the draft order.Fmd 1st yr players are not depth.
Baker - a rookie pick and long shot imo.
Moore - in yr 4? Again we have a lack of talls in the seniors but he has not been able to crack a game. Hes one i like but will he make it.
Drummond - did a knee but to be honest i have never rated him.
Bolton - Has a lot of talent and potential but has others in front of him
Townsend - always liked his hardness but one has to ask if the goals dry up what is left. Currently best 22 but is expendable.
Short - good running h/b but very poor defensively imo of course. Its the reason why Broad took his place in the team.
Castagna - poorly skilled player but he keeps on improving and has become a valuable assett.Best 22
Lloyd - too slow as a fwd but when given continuity showed he can kick goals. We try him as a mid nowdays and i dont think it will work.
Caddy - servicable player for us without being great. best 22
Rioli - Great defensive side to his game but imo his overall game still lacks atm i think tiger supporters overrate what hes done but the upside is there for all to see.best 22
Lambert - Solid foot soldier who we should be able to uprade on.He is best 22 and played well when in the midfield.
Butler - sml fwd who is skillful and quick. best 22 player like all of our small fwds i think they need to hit the scoreboard more often than they do to be truly irreplaceable.
Edwards - just a solid player who has terrific hands inside and is a bit of an enigma with consistency issues.Best 22
Miles - surprised no other club picked him up last yr. excellent inside player but people knock his pace.
Menadue been around for 3 or 4 yrs as well hes not truly established himself and will need to do so soon.

Most clubs already have players like this. 7 or so are regulars or best 22 and are not depth the rest as stated is not so different to other teams and clubs probably have similar or better options in a lot of cases.

Higgins - has his knockers a first yr player who will need to play as a mid to make it imo. Clubs didnt rate him hence he slipped to us..
Stengle - Looks a likely type but is struggling to crack a game with other sml/fwds being prefered.
Graham - Is a mid has been great defensively but really has struggled to get his hands on the ball at AFL level.Regular 22 not depth
Balta - 1st yr kid who also slipped down the draft order.Fmd 1st yr players are not depth.
Moore - in yr 4? Again we have a lack of talls in the seniors but he has not been able to crack a game. Hes one i like but will he make it.
Townsend - always liked his hardness but one has to ask if the goals dry up what is left. Currently best 22 but is expendable.
Short - good running h/b but very poor defensively imo of course. Its the reason why Broad took his place in the team.
Castagna - poorly skilled player but he keeps on improving and has become a valuable assett.Best 22
Lloyd - too slow as a fwd but when given continuity showed he can kick goals. We try him as a mid nowdays and i dont think it will work.
Rioli - Great defensive side to his game but imo his overall game still lacks atm i think tiger supporters overrate what hes done but the upside is there for all to see.best 22
Lambert - Solid foot soldier who we should be able to uprade on.He is best 22 and played well when in the midfield.
Butler - sml fwd who is skillful and quick. best 22 player like all of our small fwds i think they need to hit the scoreboard more often than they do to be truly irreplaceable.
Edwards - just a solid player who has terrific hands inside and is a bit of an enigma with consistency issues.Best 22
Miles - surprised no other club picked him up last yr. excellent inside player but people knock his pace.
Menadue been around for 3 or 4 yrs as well hes not truly established himself and will need to do so soon.

Most clubs already have players like this. 7 or so are regulars or best 22 and are not depth the rest as stated is not so different to other teams and clubs probably have similar or better options in a lot of cases.
Brilliant coaching by Dimma, it's the only answer.

Apart from Cotchin, Martin & Rance I don't see clubs paying big money for any of their other players.

Just a well coached and drilled team who play to their strengths.
Well that’s bullshit since a few clubs chased prestia including hawthorn

can you please do us all a favour and stop pretending you support richmond

You should probably re-read my posts.

I just find it a massive contradiction that you join a football forum to try and lord it over others with some perceived superior intellectual horsepower. And then be hyper-critical of those going about their business enjoying the sport they love, through the means in which they choose.

Says more about you than any other person on BF. It's quite revealing.

Glass half empty. I'll take just one player, Balta. 23 possessions at CHB in his first game and looks as good as any young backman I can remember (granted from one VFL game). There's my glass half full summation. And why can't he play first year, 195cm 95kg's.
You have also left off half the list.

I just find it a massive contradiction that you join a football forum to try and lord it over others with some perceived superior intellectual horsepower. And then be hyper-critical of those going about their business enjoying the sport they love, through the means in which they choose.

Says more about you than any other person on BF. It's quite revealing.
If you bothered to read my posts, you'd have seen that I was 'attacked' and derided for not being a supporter.

I merely replied.

better than a soulless plastic franchise
statewide, countrywide and worldwide tiges fans have been sharing the joy of victory with complete strangers, who's only bond is a scarf, a t shirt or cap
a joy made sweeter by the long dark times
when generations of your family get to celebrate together, you might understand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back