Will/Should clubs raid Richmond's list?

Remove this Banner Ad

And a sense of fearlessness that was part-astonishing and part-terrifying. Thankfully since then he's developed something resembling a self-preservation safety valve while on the field.

And he is now without question the best decision-maker in the team - Edwards is second - and probably the user of the ball too.

I still remember that epic suicidal charging for the contested ball on the wing at the G against selwood.

Was credit to both players bravery

Forget the stars that are apparently (and inexplicably) the only players that get noticed.

I'll take Grimes and Astbury without a second's hesitation.

Nope, they are no good. Not worth a look. Maybe have a look at Hurley or some one from GWS. They are all rated stars. We have no one. And we are currently very happy with our "no ones".

Balta already has a neater kick than Rance but I don't think he'll ever be the same level defensively. Still a young gun and I don't see how he dropped to pick 25. Garthwaite on the other hand could end up an upgrade on Astbury, but as Astbury is already established I can't see him ever getting the chance to replace him and you can't have two players like those two in the seniors at once.

Gettable, and I wouldn't mind him at the Hawks.
Balta has more than a neat kick, massive kick of the footy, and he is probably quicker than Rance straight line speed and already bigger than him. How he slipped to 25 is crazy. (Going early on this one I know)

I want to compliment the Tiges on their depth, but is it too deep?

Excluding the superstars, the Richmond rotation of forwards could include:
Naish
Higgins
Chol
Stengle
Graham
Balta
Baker
Moore
Drummond
Bolton
Townsend
Short
Castagna
Lloyd
Caddy
Rioli
Lambert
Butler
Edwards

and there also is Miles, C. Ellis, Menadue

After a flag, player managers can expect to see their player's wages go up. Some players want more opportunity.

There are strategies that clubs can use to combat this, and Richmond are in a fine position to do so, but normally something will give.

We haven't finished pillaging Carlton yet. Reckon the Curnow boys might well be targeted in future years at least

It is just my recollection. Certainly Tuck, Matthews, Dermot, Dunstall and Platten yes. Hudson came back in the 70's from memory?. I do recall commentators appropiately gushing over Russell Greene so maybe. Dipper I guess possibly, as a noticeable and unique player.

I would have said Ayres, Mews and Pritchard were criminally underrated at the time. It's all perception though, and I was reading mostly SA press then, admittedly. Probably boasted my perception of the recognition of Platten.

Yea, Russel Greene won a league MVP in the early 80's.

considering he's match winning superstar prob worth 25,000 members and a key sponsor NOTHING , NM thought it would be easy, think again
Just trying to figure out hypothetically, what is the turning point. Obviously if a club offered 50 first round draft picks from the next 100 years, Richmond would do it.

If a club offered 1 first round draft pick, they wouldn't. I'm interested to see what point between those 2 positions would be the tipping point.

10 picks? surely you'd still say yes. 4 picks? 3 picks?

I'm surprised Miles stuck around, would walk straight into plenty of best 22s around the league. Reckon there may be no demand for him in 12 months time too unfortunately.

Lloyd's improvement has been surprising and could definitely fill a role, but his age makes him a short term prospect, so you're talking a potential contender with an obvious need.

Bolton, Menadue, and Markov are the best of our youth not getting games. C.Ellis I'd be wary of, talent is there but you rarely see it in senior games.

Wouldn't mind that young Rioli boy to join his cousin at the Mighty Hawks !

Daniel is sticking around to play with his uncle in a few years. ;)

I'll take Grimes please*.

* - unlike the footy media, I've been paying attention to him for a fair while.

Grimes has been criminally underrated for years, second most important defender behind Rance. Was funny last year when Astbury started getting the praise and Grimes still went ignored right up until he shut down Eddie on GF day.

Just trying to figure out hypothetically, what is the turning point. Obviously if a club offered 50 first round draft picks from the next 100 years, Richmond would do it.

If a club offered 1 first round draft pick, they wouldn't. I'm interested to see what point between those 2 positions would be the tipping point.

10 picks? surely you'd still say yes. 4 picks? 3 picks?
Given our track record with first round picks, I'm not sure I'd take the 50. Besides Dusty is already in legendary club status and getting rid of him would destroy team culture and rip the soul out of the club. He's not a selfish star and his teammates love him. He has a symbiotic relationship with the captain which is story for the ages and, just to add to the perfection of it all, he's exactly the same height as Royce Hart and Jack Dyer, symbolising the progression through great Richmond eras (what made a ruckman in 1936 made a chf in 1967 and a midfielder today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All except for Miles. Way to slow for how the game is being played at the moment. Quality footballer who was probably born 5 years to late
For our game plan yes prestia covers the ground much better but miles would be a great fit at Essendon

Given our track record with first round picks, I'm not sure I'd take the 50. Besides Dusty is already in legendary club status and getting rid of him would destroy team culture and rip the soul out of the club. He's not a selfish star and his teammates love him. He has a symbiotic relationship with the captain which is story for the ages and, just to add to the perfection of it all, he's exactly the same height as Royce Hart and Jack Dyer, symbolising the progression through great Richmond eras (what made a ruckman in 1936 made a chf in 1967 and a midfielder today.
what about 60 first round picks?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back