Will soccer ever be a serious threat to footy, long-term?

Remove this Banner Ad

as far as I am concerned, I only care on he the A-league grows at a safe and slow pace. Still remember back in 2010-11 they had 11 teams and the league was in a dire financial position. Yeah they grew from 8 to 11 teams in a space of 2 years then down to 10 sides in the 2011-12 season. Again, back the the A-league Salary cap was 2.2 million while the TV rights from 2006-13 was only 17 million at the time. The idiots on the 442 website are still moaning about the 50 million dollar a year deal for the next 6 years.

Expansion to 12 or 14 teams will come eventually, they just need to delay expansion by 2-3 years and stash away more cash.

What is the netball/rugby hybrid thing ?

I presume the insignificant national game that's about to get steamrolled by the perfect storm of the rise of Arab and Chinese soccer and the reemergence of old nsl clubs that had the afl on its knees previously

Australian Cultural cringe 101: describe Australian football as some kind of weird hybrid, because god knows there are no cultural innovations of quality from this cultural wasteland

I presume the insignificant national game that's about to get steamrolled by the perfect storm of the rise of Arab and Chinese soccer and the reemergence of old nsl clubs that had the afl on its knees previously

Australian Cultural cringe 101: describe Australian football as some kind of weird hybrid, because god knows there are no cultural innovations of quality from this cultural wasteland

I thought that was what he meant, but then again i thought why would a person bother joining this board and then posting that.

I think most of the oldest soccer clubs played rugby before soccer, so it s just a weird thing to say.

Every code has to come from somewhere

Or hurt it, as anyone with talent leaves to play in those leagues, on top of those who make the classic European Leagues.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

long term, the higher standard will help hit, in the short term you make a valid point. the crazy chinese , arab money aussie footy cannot compete with.

the 'classic european leagues' are feeling the pinch from asia...

What is the netball/rugby hybrid thing ?

australian rules football :(

long term, the higher standard will help hit, in the short term you make a valid point. the crazy chinese , arab money aussie footy cannot compete with.

But they have been saying soccer will be 'THE' code for over 100 years, how do we know you are just another in a long line of fortune tellers who got it wrong.

They look as far away as ever TBH.

It seems whenever there is decent competition to soccer for ex cricket in India, ice hockey in Northern Europe, Canada, american football in the USA, baseball in Japan etc etc then soccer is not the all encompassing beast we are led to believe.

The lions share of athletic talent that has historically chosen Australian football despite the prospect of playing in European clubs for ten times the salary at clubs almost as old will suddenly flip to soccer for the chance to play for kleptocrat owned clubs in china and the UAE. Ok

Rugby, netball, basketball, soccer....they can all observe the fundamentals of their games as mere aspects of the Australian game. Whether they stay and marvel or wander off confused makes no difference, ultimately.

But if you are predicting the game is doomed, it just shows you haven't been paying attention

The lions share of athletic talent that has historically chosen Australian football despite the prospect of playing in European clubs for ten times the salary at clubs almost as old will suddenly flip to soccer for the chance to play for kleptocrat owned clubs in china and the UAE. Ok

Rugby, netball, basketball, soccer....they can all observe the fundamentals of their games as mere aspects of the Australian game. Whether they stay and marvel or wander off confused makes no difference, ultimately.

But if you are predicting the game is doomed, it just shows you haven't been paying attention

brave new era where you can make millions playing 3rd division in china

brave new era where you can make millions playing 3rd division in china

Nobody is making millions playing third division in China, ever. The biggest clubs in china have revenues that would put them middle table in the afl at best. Insane amounts being paid for a handful of players is an eternity away from large numbers of Australians getting multi million dollar contracts playing in a chines third division.

This is the 6th biggest soccer club in china

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Greenland_Shenhua_F.C.

It's not much bigger in revenue than Gold Coast. It is presumably the only premier league club in a city as populous as Australia and arguably the most westernised.

And even if 5000 year old china is converted into a nation of European style soccer fanatics, would young Australians aspire to, say, 30 odd spots at 10million a pop for Australians in asia or the 800 odd opportunities to play in your own country in front of your own fans in your own game at very comfortable income?

It amazes me that Australian soccer fans crowing about how big the game is overseas, and how this will lead to the inevitable rise of soccer in Australia have never realised that international soccer is their main competition, not AFL.

Overseas comps take the best talent, compete in Australia for eyeballs head to head with the A league, and ensure Australian soccer never makes any real money from international tv sales.

FFT was adding up what they thought the FFA was getting for tv rights, and the figures they put down for international rights was rediculous.

The rise of Chinese and Middle Eastern soccer is bad for soccer in Australia. It will bring no new fans, no new money, and may steal more players.

AFL is a point of difference, I think it will be easier to get international cash for footy than soccer. A league is competing with EPL, Bundislegue, etc

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It amazes me that Australian soccer fans crowing about how big the game is overseas, and how this will lead to the inevitable rise of soccer in Australia have never realised that international soccer is their main competition, not AFL.

Overseas comps take the best talent, compete in Australia for eyeballs head to head with the A league, and ensure Australian soccer never makes any real money from international tv sales.

FFT was adding up what they thought the FFA was getting for tv rights, and the figures they put down for international rights was rediculous.

The rise of Chinese and Middle Eastern soccer is bad for soccer in Australia. It will bring no new fans, no new money, and may steal more players.

AFL is a point of difference, I think it will be easier to get international cash for footy than soccer. A league is competing with EPL, Bundislegue, etc

Yeh, personally I've never understood this idea that the A-League can make massive TV money from overseas because soccer is an international sport. Someone has to put the A-League ahead of their own domestic league AND about 10 very famous European leagues, before they are going to worry about the A-League (and that's before we even consider the Americas and the bigger Asian leagues).

The FFA isn't exactly scratching around for juniors to get involved in the game.

I don't really get what this whole discussion point is about. Kids will try different sports, they might find one they like and focus on. If they are good they will go through development pathways, if they are really good they have the ability to turn professional.

And this is an issue how?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The FFA isn't exactly scratching around for juniors to get involved in the game.

I don't really get what this whole discussion point is about. Kids will try different sports, they might find one they like and focus on. If they are good they will go through development pathways, if they are really good they have the ability to turn professional.

And this is an issue how?
Because it is supposed to lead to the death of footy in this country, and that this will be a good thing?

Unfortunately, even when that isn't the argument being made, those of us who have debated with those who fervently believe the above, tend to react as if it's the underlying motivation.

like adelaide and western sydney ...

A joke I suspect

i was referring more to 5-10 years time

Which is still ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

In 5 years time they'll be in the last year of their current TV rights deal....for which they get about 2/3rds of the AFL's TV rights deal!

https://www.ft.com/content/7e00e7aa-da14-11e5-98fd-06d75973fe09

Apparently china has scrapped their "plus one" asian foreigner rule so it is 3 players on the park for each of the 16 CSL clubs. Some of these clubs are experiencing completely uneconomic splurging of tens of millions to fill these 3 spots.

There will never be a third division in china paying on average anywhere near there 10 million AFL salary cap

err, no. like a truly s**t place with executions, open sewers, rampant inequality, filth and almost any other crapulousness you could name

That might well be the case, but they should buy more iron ore, that is all we care about in WA.

But they have been saying soccer will be 'THE' code for over 100 years, how do we know you are just another in a long line of fortune tellers who got it wrong.

They look as far away as ever TBH.

It seems whenever there is decent competition to soccer for ex cricket in India, ice hockey in Northern Europe, Canada, american football in the USA, baseball in Japan etc etc then soccer is not the all encompassing beast we are led to believe.
It's almost as if the strength of Soccer worldwide comes not from the inherent nature of the game but because of the worldwide spread and domination of the Victorian era British Empire.

It's almost as if the strength of Soccer worldwide comes not from the inherent nature of the game but because of the worldwide spread and domination of the Victorian era British Empire.

I have no doubt that is part of it, very simple game to play though, that is probably ts strength IMO, i just reckon the beautiful game is bunk though, no more beautiful than any other game IMO, the very fact you can't use your hands makes it look very clumsy plenty IMO.

In terms of being a major spectator sport, I’m not sure any sport has ever really thrived outside of where the top level is played.

Aust Rules and Rugby League rule in Australia, where the biggest comps are.

Basketball, baseball, grid iron and ice hockey - North America.

If limited overs continues to be the future of cricket, the IPL will remain the biggest league.

Soccer - Europe.

Probably the biggest exceptions are Africa and South America which dont have indigenous sports as such. Soccer rules there.

Wherever soccer has run into an indigenous game/s, it’s failed (and vice versa, of course).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back