Will some clubs not make it through this ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Hey, haven't seen this on the AFL board so I thought I would get a take on this. For the first time in the modern game have we seen something like this and what will it mean for the clubs struggling as it is before this?

Sponsorships will change, no ticket income not sure what to do about the memberships.

NRL was talking about it as they expect some clubs to go under.

Nah all will survive, AFL owns Docklands which is handy and have a far higher membership base than the NRL. NRL relies on income streams that will stop completely with no games, while the AFL will still get most of its membership money - some need and will ask for a refund but I’m sure many who can afford it will see it as a donation.

If nil games are played in front of crowds there could be extreme consequences even worse if season was abandoned. Here’s hoping that some normality resumes at some point and that will help stem the blood flow.
There are any number of permutations , I honestly think the only chance of clubs being lost will be if securing finance is tougher than they imagined.
What’s more likely to shock the fans is when all contracts are null and void and clubs have to scramble to sign stars to a smaller TPP or they spill as FA

What’s more likely to shock the fans is when all contracts are null and void and clubs have to scramble to sign stars to a smaller TPP or they spill as FA

inb4 we re sign all our stars plus cripps, coniglio, tony greene and harris andrews

inb4 we re sign all our stars plus cripps, coniglio, tony greene and harris andrews
Gonna be hard when lists are reduced to 35 to sign ALL our stars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fate of smaller clubs/expansion clubs in the hands of AFL. Even before this crisis a number of Melbourne clubs only survived through equalisation.

Don't underestimate the reduction in the clubs cost base that the AFL will impose. Could be in the order of 30% to 50%.

Norf, St Kilda and Melbourne offer nothing to the AFL. Hopefully they go under.

Norf should be merged with Carlton to create the Carlton North FC Kangaroos. St Kilda should go to hobart as the Tassie Saints and Melbourne should be merged with Footscray to create a new club called Western Melbourne FC based out of Whitten Oval. The colors of red and blue are worn by both clubs and both clubs have there names kept if the new club is called Western Melbourne. These mergers would help the AFL get a fairer draw, allow the other existing Melbourne clubs to gain more strength and leave the game better ofg.

I would not give a s**t if GC or GWS went under. I want all the other clubs to survive. Saints are $10 million in the hole. They would be in massive trouble i would imagine. I really feel for North, Saints and Bulldogs at the moment. Melbourne could be in strife as well. Carlton and Bombers will always be safe as they have coterie members who will never let them die. Port Adelaide could be in an interesting predicament.
Tiges, Pies, Hawks, Blues, Bombers, WC, Freo, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane should be ok.

Being brutally honest the AFL probably has a free hit now to cull two sides from Melbourne that are really just a drain on resources, funding and don’t bring that much to the table when they were peaking.

My two would be North and St Kilda.
Both have small supporter bases, both barely got large crowds even when they were high performing top 4 sides.
Geographically they don’t offer that much compared to say a Western Bulldogs and even Melbourne.
How much $$$ did the AFL tip into these teams in 2019?

GC and GWS will survive, the AFL needs their tv money and at the end of the day have sunk far too much money into them and grassroots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back