Will the AFL try and re-locate us during Covid or after Covid?

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
👍up J.R. You feel a legitimate question and had the guts to ask.

With rabid idiots like us following the club.......... we ain't going nowhere. If you're a young person we need people like you to carry the torch when us boomers are dribbling and in our dotage. We fought to keep the club yours in battles past and you'll need to pass it on as well.

JohnRhys

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Well said Hojuman and thank-you , my two nephews ( one is two years old , the other one was born last Friday morning ) i will be signing them up next season as first time members. Don't think we don't know the fight you older generations had and still have for the club!

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kangaroo Cat , i was a bit taken aback at the hostility and anger from some users , Who would have thought starting a topic on a forum would have people turn against you , how dare i ? how dare i think that on a forum anything can be discussed in the country of Australia.

Clearly some people in need of mental health experts out there . use them please people!
Hey now , no need to insult anyone, to be fair we do get a lot of trolls on here, i just felt bad for you , we are all on the same side 🙂

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kangaroo Cat , i was a bit taken aback at the hostility and anger from some users , Who would have thought starting a topic on a forum would have people turn against you , how dare i ? how dare i think that on a forum anything can be discussed in the country of Australia.

Clearly some people in need of mental health experts out there . use them please people!
See I wouldn't go down that line bud....not necessary. Just take ya lumps and move on. No harm no foul, but don't go nuts. Not required.

OK, agree that there probably is a forum etiquette of reading and getting "the vibe" before starting a thread, but I'll try to contribute and answer the question in the OP.

No I don't think the AFL will try to do anything during COVID. They will be under huge financial pressure, and relocating a side means subsidising things such as stadium deals, relocation costs, giving a new club a bigger salary cap, more draft picks etc.

I don't trust the AFL administration, but don't think they have the spare millions it would need to relocate another club at the moment. They are still propping up the Northern teams.

Ok , thank you for the heads up , I am not a user of many forums and didn’t realise there was a type of norms to abide by , I’m a bit dull in that respect.

Given a chance I will contribute in a more positive way , again I am deeply sorry for any offence caused.

But please give me a chance to at least prove myself in been a positive user of this forum as the passion there seems to be on here is impressive for the game.
Don't be worrying bout snake_baker he just likes to be a campaigner.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
How can one be accused of been a troll , when they have just joined , i didnt know the inner workings of the club and wanted to clarify my worries , do i at least get a chance to prove myself ?

I'd like to participate in the forum but i am been shouted down for expressing a worry , so fine delete the thread, i am sorry , i will try and contribute to the forum but i've just joined and calls of ban him are not exactly the hallmarks of a great forum.

All new members are welcome at the Grumpy Old Thread Mr Rhys!

JohnRhys

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Orange Peanut is the type of bloke that also thinks the following

- All Italians are gangsters

etc etc

Yes there is a person named John who is 30 years old .

JohnRhys

Debutant
Aug 24, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Ferball exactly , Mr People Skillz seems to think he can insult anyone but a bit back is NOT ON.

Well said Hojuman and thank-you , my two nephews ( one is two years old , the other one was born last Friday morning ) i will be signing them up next season as first time members. Don't think we don't know the fight you older generations had and still have for the club!

Good man, get 'em when they’re young and you should have them for life.

As for your question it's something that just hangs around and is one that certain journos love to keep on the agenda. We are in a stronger position than we were prior to the GC relocation push. Back then we were carrying more debt and had terrible facilities etc. If we maintain a decent financial position the AFL can't blatantly try to push us out like they attempted in 2007. Thankfully we are not carrying a large debt like the Saints are. Another point to consider is that the economic damage caused by Covid has also affected Tassie, a state that was struggling to mount a convincing financial argument for having its own team before the virus hit.

Last edited:

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
I think the AFL may attempt some restructuring at the end of this season.

It is the perfect opportunity to make some changes happen. I'd more be thinking merger suggestions rather than relocation.

But whether anything actually goes ahead or not is a completely different story.

I think the AFL may attempt some restructuring at the end of this season.

It is the perfect opportunity to make some changes happen. I'd more be thinking merger suggestions rather than relocation.

But whether anything actually goes ahead or not is a completely different story.

I think the AFL will always have us moving as a back burner agenda item.

It's just one of those things we will have to hedge against. Even with COVID I think we are okay at the moment (mainly cos we seem financially secure and there have ben issues with Tassie,) and probably will be for five years depending on how this virus situation unfolds. We really need to be hedging against another push in ten to fifteen years time.

The club needs long term goals (ie 10 - 15 years) including an ongoing VFL reserves presence at Arden St along with AFLW there. At least two flags in that time and somehow doubling our current membership. So 75K members approximately. Ideally one of those flags has Maj and Brown as well as the young stars to drag in new younger members. And some sort of financial profitability, international recognition isn't a bad thing either.

bullish23

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2002
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal
Hope you don’t mind the question. I noticed AIA on the sponsor board behind Shaw last evening. Is that a new deal for the Kangas?

Great get, world‘s largest Life Insurance company and also have the rights to Spurs etc.

Hope you don’t mind the question. I noticed AIA on the sponsor board behind Shaw last evening. Is that a new deal for the Kangas?

Great get, world‘s largest Life Insurance company and also have the rights to Spurs etc.
Media Release
AIA Australia announces partnership with North Melbourne Football Club to promote Healthier, Longer, Better Lives
17 August 2020 – AIA Australia has signed a three-year partnership with North Melbourne Football Club as the official life, health and wellbeing partner for the club.
One of Australia’s leading life and health insurance providers, AIA Australia will provide North Melbourne members with ways to lead healthier lifestyles and offer a raft of existing benefits and rewards as part of its commitment to champion Australians to lead healthier, longer and better lives.
North CEO, Ben Amarfio, said the partnership would focus on giving back to the club’s members and fans and helping improve general health and wellbeing.
“Our club values align very closely to those of AIA, which makes the partnership a perfect alignment for us,” said Amarfio.
“At North, our purpose is to galvanise the North community and bring them joy. We’re passionate about our communities and together with AIA we want to provide our people with the right tools to greatly improve their lives.
“We have some exciting opportunities in the works for our members, supporters, players, staff and other commercial partners which will see us being able to offer amazing value and benefits centered around health and wellbeing.
“We can’t wait to get stuck into it. Our whole team is thrilled to be partnering with AIA and we look forward to strengthening our relationship over the coming years.”
AIA Australia and New Zealand CEO and managing director, Damien Mu, echoed Amarfio’s comments.
“The partnership will play an important role in drawing awareness to the impact small changes can have on long-term health,” he said.
“Our dream is to champion Australia and New Zealand to be the healthiest and best protected nations in the world and we’re excited to be taking this step with the North Melbourne Football Club.
“We hope to inspire Roos’ fans, along with the broader community, to take those small steps towards living a healthier, longer, better life. Because what benefits fans and clubs in turn benefits society – by creating this shared value we’ll help transform Australia’s health and wellbeing.”
AIA Vitality is AIA’s global science-backed health and wellbeing program that supports and incentivises members to understand and improve their health and be financially rewarded for doing so. The program is available to all AIA Australia Health Insurance customers.

Back