Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Ives attends Sandgate SHS I think - a school with a football program. Local boy. To me this makes much more sense then sending them to some swanky non AFL school. Bring the country boys down, board them with fellow AFL kids in their homes (AFL pay a subsidy to the family if you like) and get them into a football culture. Young fella from Townsville who made the AA 15's schoolboys side this year, Ryan Agita, is doing exactly this and attending Helensvale SHS next year (Suns program obviously coming from Townsville). Makes a lot more sense IMO.

Brisbane / north coast / darling downs squad of 50 start preseason training this Wednesday. Anyone know what's happening with the gold coast / country squad which is presumably linked to the suns academy. Have they named a squad / started training yet?
Any word on the coaching staff for the qld team for next year?
suns academy players start training thursday

Brian Coleman-broome, morningside junior, AIS particpant, played last year as a 17 year old yet misses out on the brisbane squad. Attitude problems?
He's back in training squad now after initial non selection. Seems your initial call was probably correct.

Which of the 3 gold Coast State league clubs should any non aligned kids go to and receive the best development opportunity?

Ives attends Sandgate SHS I think - a school with a football program. Local boy. To me this makes much more sense then sending them to some swanky non AFL school. Bring the country boys down, board them with fellow AFL kids in their homes (AFL pay a subsidy to the family if you like) and get them into a football culture. Young fella from Townsville who made the AA 15's schoolboys side this year, Ryan Agita, is doing exactly this and attending Helensvale SHS next year (Suns program obviously coming from Townsville). Makes a lot more sense IMO.

Totaly agree

Which of the 3 gold Coast State league clubs should any non aligned kids go to and receive the best development opportunity?

Any of them really.......depends what end of the Coast your living.......after kids are identified as talented they get invited into the Stingrays Development Squads anyway

Any of them really.......depends what end of the Coast your living.......after kids are identified as talented they get invited into the Stingrays Development Squads anyway

If they are not in a development squad - which club would be able to develop the player better or at least give them the best opportunity?

If they are not in a development squad - which club would be able to develop the player better or at least give them the best opportunity?
If hes not an athlete and just an average make up the numbers player, then no club will give him extra attention.......its up to him to train hard, watch plenty of footy, ask questions, listen and learn. That the best development at any club he will get at U18 and lower level...........if hes a talented athlete at U18 level they will be all over him, give him a run in the ressies, and advise the rep people to give extra opportunities to develop. Honestly toss a coin between Broadbeach and Southport..........or if your closer to Labradore head there..........all 3 clubs love there footy so thats a start

SCORPIONS 2012 COACHES ANNOUNCED
3 New coaching appointments complete the Scorpions line-up for 2012

Former Brisbane Bears player, Ray Windsor, has been appointed Senior Coach of the U18 Queensland Scorpions.

Two new Assistant Coaches have also been named for 2012. Morningside Premiership player, David Lillico (Midfield Coach) and ex-Western Magpies player and coach, Paul Grentell (Forwards Coach), will join Defence Coach, Paddy Garner, to form a well credentialed coaching line-up.

The new role seems a natural progression for Windsor, who was Young Scorpions Assistant Coach in 2008/2009 before taking over the senior role in 2010. His coaching efforts were rewarded this year when the team took out the 2011 National Championships.

Windsor, himself a former Larke Medal winner for best Under 18 National Championships Player, said he was thrilled with the appointment.

“I couldn’t be more pleased,” said Windsor.

“We’ve got a competitive and hardworking player group and a very good coaching staff which, hopefully, the 2012 results will reflect. “

While Windsor is keen for success on field, he says it’s seeing players develop that gives him the greatest joy.

“What I’m most looking forward to is playing a hand in improving the kids from the start of the program, to the finish of the program,” he said.

“It’s really satisfying to see the improvement levels in these boys across the whole spectrum - from skills right through to maturity.

“For me, that’s the most exciting part - seeing someone go from being average to being great.

“I’m really looking forward to provide my experiences to these guys to help make sure they get to the highest level they can.”

QUEENSLAND SCORPIONS – NEW COACH PROFILES

Ray Windsor - Senior Coach

· Queensland state representative player: U 16 and U18.

· 1989 Larke Medal winner - best player, Division 1 - National U18 Championships.

· Brisbane Bears player

· West Brisbane premiership player

· Coach - Western Taipans U16 and U18

· Assistant Coach - Queensland Young Scorpions 2008/09

· Senior Coach - Queensland Young Scorpions 2010/11 (National Championships title 2011)

David Lillico - Assistant Coach, Midfield

· State U18 Captain

· U18 All-Australian player

· 200+ games player - Morningside FC

· 4 Time Morningside premiership player 2003/04/09/10

· Morningside FC Captain

· Senior Queensland State Team Captain.

Paul Grentell - Assistant Coach, Forwards

· QAFL Western Magpies - player and coach, 2007-2010

· QAFL Western Magpies - premiership coach 2008

· 2005 QAFL Coach Of The Year

· Queensland Country Stockman Assistant Coach 2008/10/12

· Assistant Coach – QLD U16 Young Scorpions 2011
(National U16 Division 2 winners)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching staff for 2012 look good - Windsor having coached the 16's for the last 2 years, second then first in Div 2 (although completely different at under 18, esp with 2 games against div 1 states), Garner involved last 2 years at 16's and then 18's, both apparently well liked/ respected by the players. Grentel adds a lot as does the new blood to the state program Lillico. Hopefully they get some say in the selection process.

So Garner is the only survivor from 2011? Sounds like something hit the fan for the 2011 performance.

Have any other roles been scrutinised or have the coaching staff been left holding the can?

Tends to be a bit of a 2-3yr role Brock from what I can tell. Maybe it was a reflection on this years performance but you could probably say too that the 16's is a significantly easier gig for results. Qld should go okay IMO at 16's level every year.

Would like to have seen a bit of a AFL name to head the program but Windsor has done a solid apprenticeship. His record stacks up against Ashkar's but that didn't seem to turn out for the best. Only time will tell on that one.

Lillico seems like a really good get for the midfield. From what I saw they received a few belting's from the midfield although the cattle was pretty thin.

Garner seems the only one with recent AFL experience so needed to hold on to him.

Not sold on Grentell. Success at Pineapple cup but not much else. Being at the Morningside for a while can only have helped.

Would like to have seen a bit of a AFL name to head the program but Windsor has done a solid apprenticeship. His record stacks up against Ashkar's but that didn't seem to turn out for the best. Only time will tell on that one.

Lillico seems like a really good get for the midfield. From what I saw they received a few belting's from the midfield although the cattle was pretty thin.

Garner seems the only one with recent AFL experience so needed to hold on to him.

Not sold on Grentell. Success at Pineapple cup but not much else. Being at the Morningside for a while can only have helped.

hasnt he also been involved in the past 2 successful senior qld country teams, qld 16s assistant div2 winners and won 2005 qafl senior coach of the year?

lilico will be very good as he can still get out at training and show them how its done

Woops, should have had a ? in my statement.

[/B]

hasnt he also been involved in the past 2 successful senior qld country teams, qld 16s assistant div2 winners and won 2005 qafl senior coach of the year?

Didn't know any of that. Which club did he win QAFL coach of the year at? Didn't think Western Maggies were in the QAFL then?

I reckon the staff looks fine. There only battle will be can they do it there way without interference from there employers. Last year it looked like the coach was having his strings pulled with game plan and players told they have to play. Hopefully this group gets input into how they want to play the game to win and set up a winning culture in Qld, rather than just all about the players they see as draftable, and game plans around them. Havent seen whats available for selection from the Gold Coast list but the Brisbane list is looking like a very hard group to crack into. Probably a very good sign that the lads will be training hard to get a spot............can only be a good thing for those that realy want it

I reckon the staff looks fine. There only battle will be can they do it there way without interference from there employers. Last year it looked like the coach was having his strings pulled with game plan and players told they have to play. Hopefully this group gets input into how they want to play the game to win and set up a winning culture in Qld, rather than just all about the players they see as draftable, and game plans around them. Havent seen whats available for selection from the Gold Coast list but the Brisbane list is looking like a very hard group to crack into. Probably a very good sign that the lads will be training hard to get a spot............can only be a good thing for those that realy want it

Rightly or wrongly Brisvegas this is the probably the only indicator that the Qld group is measured on (as well as any other Unders age group ie TAC) in Australia. Think you have to realise that this is the bread and butter - winning means nothing if noone gets drafted at this level whereas if they don't win a game but get 3 boys drafted then their job is done. Winning AND getting players drafted would be the ideal obviously :)

I have heard that the Suns Academy training regime is run run run.

The boys selected are already naturally fit and I reckon we would have more hope against the Southern States in the state games if the training used footballs more often.

:D have to agree 2010 (again mate?? - must be a problem here) - if there is one thing that our kids miss out on here it is the luxury the southern states have of boys kicking / handling a footy 2-3hrs per day from the age of 5. There is alot to make up just on this. Running to ensure they can get a beep test of 14+ is just silly IMO and shows a blanket approach to footy development in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back