Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Rightly or wrongly Brisvegas this is the probably the only indicator that the Qld group is measured on (as well as any other Unders age group ie TAC) in Australia. Think you have to realise that this is the bread and butter - winning means nothing if noone gets drafted at this level whereas if they don't win a game but get 3 boys drafted then their job is done. Winning AND getting players drafted would be the ideal obviously :)
Agree this is what there goal is smy..........surely though those scouts that pick them are experienced enough to know quality, and dont need an exibition to show case a players talent by getting easy possesions. Id much rather see a team playing to win and playing for each other, that way the scouts will be able to see what kids are really made off, rather than suger coating potentials. Other issue at this age is pressure to perform, and can they, when they have been put under the spotlight.........a few didnt this year.

I have heard that the Suns Academy training regime is run run run.

The boys selected are already naturally fit and I reckon we would have more hope against the Southern States in the state games if the training used footballs more often.
Qld menality 2010..........doesnt matter if you are a 30 possesion a game player.......if you cant make the fitness test times set for your position then your cut..........

I have heard that the Suns Academy training regime is run run run.

The boys selected are already naturally fit and I reckon we would have more hope against the Southern States in the state games if the training used footballs more often.
From what I hear a bit different in Brisbane. Last year preseason was 2 gym / fitness sessions per week and one skills session. This year one gym and 2 skills / fitness sessions per week, with ballwork at every skills session including regular drills for midfield/ forwards / backs play - eg Charman at training recently doing marking drills with the taller players, learing different defensive tactics with Pat Garner etc. Boys expected to do another gym session in own time. So from outside seems a bit more focus on ballwork / skills etc this year? Not sure if this is just due to differnt coaching staff (Lions Academy staff more involved this year) or a definite shift in focus of the preseason component for the Brisbane squad?

You really think at that level you're going to get 30 touches if your fitness isn't up to scratch?

Yeah, in fact at that level reckon it could be quite easy if the kid was a gun. Step up to AFL level then definitely not. Probably not the best way to skinny a squad down BM - guys like Sam Mitchell and Diesel Williams missed out for these reasons. Use it as a way to decide bn 2 similar players I reckon, not as the starting point.

That sounds pretty sensible Footymaad for the Brisbane boys. Few sunshoine coast boys heading down every week and enjoying it from what i know.

You really think at that level you're going to get 30 touches if your fitness isn't up to scratch?

Dont have to be superfit to get 30 touches in the midfield if you have a footy brain...........fitness test I was refering to was set times as per draft camp standards. Funny thing about that is the kids are still 12 months away for that possability

From what I hear a bit different in Brisbane. Last year preseason was 2 gym / fitness sessions per week and one skills session. This year one gym and 2 skills / fitness sessions per week, with ballwork at every skills session including regular drills for midfield/ forwards / backs play - eg Charman at training recently doing marking drills with the taller players, learing different defensive tactics with Pat Garner etc. Boys expected to do another gym session in own time. So from outside seems a bit more focus on ballwork / skills etc this year? Not sure if this is just due to differnt coaching staff (Lions Academy staff more involved this year) or a definite shift in focus of the preseason component for the Brisbane squad?

Has to be a good thing having all those resources around the boys..........whispers around the place are this years boys can knock of a few Sth State sides........if they can put it together on the day and play as a team

Interesting cuts from the Brisbane squad............and very interesting not cuts from the squad..........nothing has changed........rookies, and 19yr old duds still on the list.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting cuts from the Brisbane squad............and very interesting not cuts from the squad..........nothing has changed........rookies, and 19yr old duds still on the list.........
this is academy cuts only the state selection panel is a different group of people apparently....

Just don't know Speedy whether there is any chance these days for guys who aren't in either Academy to play State footy is there? Not saying for one minute this is right but would have felt it sort of marks your card.

Agree with both comments, however they(AFLQ) tell clubs to play certain kids in seniors and see how they perform. Then when some get 5 touches or so give them a huge write up in the footy record as a Rising Star to build them up..........happened last year and a MtG kid got to AIS thanks to Browning. Also a Sandgate kid sacked from the state squad last year at pre season because of attitude gets called back in because he was playing real good footy and they needed him............might add 1st game in and he got 30 touches........... so well done to the Sandgate people for continualy ringing them and pushing his name in there faces.

This si the first year of the Academys being in full swing at 18's level isn't it though? I'm sure there are avenues but just reckon it would be very difficult to get in if a kid isn't in one of them now.

Agree with both comments, however they(AFLQ) tell clubs to play certain kids in seniors and see how they perform. Then when some get 5 touches or so give them a huge write up in the footy record as a Rising Star to build them up..........happened last year and a MtG kid got to AIS thanks to Browning. Also a Sandgate kid sacked from the state squad last year at pre season because of attitude gets called back in because he was playing real good footy and they needed him............might add 1st game in and he got 30 touches........... so well done to the Sandgate people for continualy ringing them and pushing his name in there faces.

From my understanding is a very talented player........This can't be disputed!!:confused:

This si the first year of the Academys being in full swing at 18's level isn't it though? I'm sure there are avenues but just reckon it would be very difficult to get in if a kid isn't in one of them now.

Academy IMO is about finding athletes and making them footballers.......not turning footballers into athletes.........Every year we see the same stuff ups at selection time and the best footballers dont get selected.........why?

No doubt pressure to play certain players from above (often above AFLQ I suspect) - potential father-sons best examples - one brought in last year as 18 year old and seemingly assured to play all games to show recruiters what he could do - didnt really perform and not picked up - but now back training again with squad this year as overage player? Not ideal as therefore not level playing field for boys competing for spots, however given what the programs primary aim is from point of view of AFL and fact that they fund it all, I guess not unexpected. And no doubt the publicity machine does focus each year on a few specific players. Hopefully the majority still selected entirely on merit....

Not sure about your comments on Cameron - my understanding is he has potential, great attitude, and played all games last year as underage player and went OK after previous year out with OP. Dont think unreasonable he got AIS spot if those who select the squad think hes up to it.

Re the Sandgate player, playing devils advocate, could argue coaching staff have done exactly the right thing with him - last year as 17 yo with potential, apparent poor attitude and not at all fit during selection period / preseason training, so cut from squad. Boys who were cut told if went back to club and improved / played well, could still get back into team. He went back to club , did play well and improved fitness and so brought back into state team and performed well. This year training with squad from day 1, much fitter and looking good by all accounts, and hopefully will play a sig role in midfield in final state team. Maybe what happened last year was exactly required to change his attitude and motivate him to work harder to get to level required to perform well at this years national championships ......

No doubt pressure to play certain players from above (often above AFLQ I suspect) - potential father-sons best examples - one brought in last year as 18 year old and seemingly assured to play all games to show recruiters what he could do - didnt really perform and not picked up - but now back training again with squad this year as overage player? Not ideal as therefore not level playing field for boys competing for spots, however given what the programs primary aim is from point of view of AFL and fact that they fund it all, I guess not unexpected. And no doubt the publicity machine does focus each year on a few specific players. Hopefully the majority still selected entirely on merit....

Not sure about your comments on Cameron - my understanding is he has potential, great attitude, and played all games last year as underage player and went OK after previous year out with OP. Dont think unreasonable he got AIS spot if those who select the squad think hes up to it.

Re the Sandgate player, playing devils advocate, could argue coaching staff have done exactly the right thing with him - last year as 17 yo with potential, apparent poor attitude and not at all fit during selection period / preseason training, so cut from squad. Boys who were cut told if went back to club and improved / played well, could still get back into team. He went back to club , did play well and improved fitness and so brought back into state team and performed well. This year training with squad from day 1, much fitter and looking good by all accounts, and hopefully will play a sig role in midfield in final state team. Maybe what happened last year was exactly required to change his attitude and motivate him to work harder to get to level required to perform well at this years national championships ......

The Sandgate kid played in a Senior GF the year before as a 16 year old, he was left out of state squad because his times werent up to scratch. Which meant his attitude was crap because he wasnt working hard enough? Total crap. And he played another full year of Senior footy in a pretty good comp last year, in a strong side. If his attitude wasnt good enough he wouldnt of been picked I'm sure. He was recalled when the prospect picks who could run fast, for long, and jump high couldnt get a kick in the real thing, and they needed a geniune footballer who might be 5 seconds off the pace, but can find the ball 30 times a game.

Always interesting discussion in states like Qld I spose - in football states they just get the best players period unless they are some sort of 6'11 freak that they discover at age 16.

In Qld both aspects are flawed bc there are so many genuine athletes who don't play our sport - in say Victoria just doesn't happen anywhere near as much. Can see the arguement from both sides but bottom line is, no matter what state a kid plays in they will get picked up IF good enough. Overington may have needed that kick up the arse - maybe he got ahead of himself bc he did play in a seniors GF at 16? Who knows? But the fact of the matter is he got his arse kicked, went back and tidied up and then came back and kicked others arses - is a good moral in there and its not to sulk and moan and whine about life when things go against you - too many kids do this (as do alot of adults a la Brad Hodge!!)

Always interesting discussion in states like Qld I spose - in football states they just get the best players period unless they are some sort of 6'11 freak that they discover at age 16.

In Qld both aspects are flawed bc there are so many genuine athletes who don't play our sport - in say Victoria just doesn't happen anywhere near as much. Can see the arguement from both sides but bottom line is, no matter what state a kid plays in they will get picked up IF good enough. Overington may have needed that kick up the arse - maybe he got ahead of himself bc he did play in a seniors GF at 16? Who knows? But the fact of the matter is he got his arse kicked, went back and tidied up and then came back and kicked others arses - is a good moral in there and its not to sulk and moan and whine about life when things go against you - too many kids do this (as do alot of adults a la Brad Hodge!!)

The key reasons for him not making it were time based. Id put money on his times being exactly the same when he ran out for QLD and was bog. Proabably gets disheartening for young guys who know they are better FOOTBALLERS than others who are more athletic, or "draftable", so why wouldnt the attitude suffer when the are overlooked?

I understand that we need to look outside the game for potential stars. Its just a shame they seem to over look some talented guys every year, to accomodate some who arent as good.

very very well said

The key reasons for him not making it were time based. Id put money on his times being exactly the same when he ran out for QLD and was bog. Proabably gets disheartening for young guys who know they are better FOOTBALLERS than others who are more athletic, or "draftable", so why wouldnt the attitude suffer when the are overlooked?

I understand that we need to look outside the game for potential stars. Its just a shame they seem to over look some talented guys every year, to accomodate some who arent as good.

Probably bc we are looking for the best athletes in Australia some might argue Megaman. At the end of the day noone plays AFL footy for 50+ games unless they have got a work ethic of some sort. If a kid can't show this at 16 by training the house down etc then I don't blame people for overlooking him for someone who does. Obviously the latter bloke has to show he can win the footy too at some point but the former needs to also show that he can work his arse off in a game - FFS, there are 500 boys in 4 states that are the same if not significantly better at the same age. There might be 1% of boys in Qld that will get by on raw ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back