List Mgmt. Will the Hawks end up landing a big fish? Trade and FA news discussion of Hawthorn targets

Who should Hawks make a play for?

• Lynch

• McGovern

• Cogs

• We don't need any of these players

• Gaff

• Another player not mentioned above (specify in comments)

• B.Hill

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a few here a little while back saying we should look at Guthrie. Hope you’ve watched him tonight and discovered just how ordinary he is.

An extremely ordinary player. A real battler who somehow has a bigger reputation than it should be.

I thought I read he would prefer to stay in S.A. This might put some clubs off, or might mean a deal between Carlton and Crows is possible. If I were Carlton, I'd be trying for Crows top pick and one of their top 5-10 players in return for pick 1.

I find it fascinating that in 2018 in a fully professional and pretty well paying competition we still hear this crap about guys not wanting to be drafted interstate or want to be traded home because they are homesick etc. you want to play AFL, you go where you go.

Regarding Lukocius, I suppose this talk might be down to the fact that Carlton (who will likely end up with number 1) may not pick him, and if they don’t there is a fairly good chance (based on how the season is planning out) that the QLD teams will hold 2 and 3, the chances of him fall past 3 are slim at this point, in today’s day and age I don’t think that clubs will be put off by it and in a draft like this you have to take the best available if you have a high pick.

If for example Lynch leaves the Suns, that’s not exactly going to discourage the Suns from drafting Lukosius if he is available.

If a young player is so dead against moving interstate to play AFL, there is an argument that they might not be made of the right stuff to make a career out of footy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaff will be staying at the Eagles Tim Gossage reporting.

Incredible all these players testing the market and staying at their current club

Not many actually leave in the AFL, I mean we have had Ablett, Dangerfield and Franklin leave as free agents but that's about it as far as big name players.

Difference is that Sloane and Gaff play for clubs who have a real chance to challenge in the next few years.
Gaff doesn't.

Don't let WCE's home & away season form fool you, they're miles off it. Hate finals football about as much as they hate leaving Perth.

Last edited:
I find it fascinating that in 2018 in a fully professional and pretty well paying competition we still hear this crap about guys not wanting to be drafted interstate or want to be traded home because they are homesick etc. you want to play AFL, you go where you go.

Regarding Lukocius, I suppose this talk might be down to the fact that Carlton (who will likely end up with number 1) may not pick him, and if they don’t there is a fairly good chance (based on how the season is planning out) that the QLD teams will hold 2 and 3, the chances of him fall past 3 are slim at this point, in today’s day and age I don’t think that clubs will be put off by it and in a draft like this you have to take the best available if you have a high pick.

If for example Lynch leaves the Suns, that’s not exactly going to discourage the Suns from drafting Lukosius if he is available.

If a young player is so dead against moving interstate to play AFL, there is an argument that they might not be made of the right stuff to make a career out of footy

I agree with this, but there must be some kids, who would not want to go to poorly run clubs, and would prefer to stay in their home state, especially if they have a relaive playing locally. I often wonder how many would let this be known in their 'job' interviews.

From memory, I think Buckley let it known that he wanted to go to Collingwood, and wasn't happy being drafted to Brisbane.

Not a big fish but Richmond’s Jayden Short is after double what the Tiges are willing to pay to re-sign

He ain’t happy with Richmond’s offer

Info courtesy of family member

Given they will likely get Lynch I always expected players like Short would have to make way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a big fish but Richmond’s Jayden Short is after double what the Tiges are willing to pay to re-sign

He ain’t happy with Richmond’s offer

Info courtesy of family member

He'd be quite handy if he could be landed on the cheap (trade value, not salary)

Good age plus we need more outside players to be driving the ball forward. Really starting to come into his own this year.

Similar to the Impey pick-up

I agree with this, but there must be some kids, who would not want to go to poorly run clubs, and would prefer to stay in their home state, especially if they have a relaive playing locally. I often wonder how many would let this be known in their 'job' interviews.

From memory, I think Buckley let it known that he wanted to go to Collingwood, and wasn't happy being drafted to Brisbane.

It does happen, Judd told the Eagles that he didn’t want to be drafted by them and didn’t want to move to Perth, they took him anyways and he won a flag there. I can understand apprehension about the prospect of being drafted the Suns as they are a basket case but I’m a believer in the fact that you are a professional and you have to play it as such.

Cam Rayner was asked about it multiple times in the lead up to last years draft about the prospect of moving interstate and in particular Brisbane who held number one. He happily went on record and said he will play wherever he ended up and if it were Brisbane he would happily go, he has since re-signed up there.

There was an interesting theory in recruiting circles about risk factors relating the players who might be more of a flight risk then others and one of those was comparing metro to country players, country players were seen as less of a risk because regardless of where they were drafted they were still probably going to be moving out of Mum and Dads to start their careers, this is in comparison to the metro lads who (if they were drafted to a club in their home state) they would be able to stay home and not have their living arrangements interrupted.

Given they will likely get Lynch I always expected players like Short would have to make way.
Plus they have about 8 guys who play like him , so in theory he is the type of player they can lose and it won’t really have huge impact on them

It does happen, Judd told the Eagles that he didn’t want to be drafted by them and didn’t want to move to Perth, they took him anyways and he won a flag there. I can understand apprehension about the prospect of being drafted the Suns as they are a basket case but I’m a believer in the fact that you are a professional and you have to play it as such.

Cam Rayner was asked about it multiple times in the lead up to last years draft about the prospect of moving interstate and in particular Brisbane who held number one. He happily went on record and said he will play wherever he ended up and if it were Brisbane he would happily go, he has since re-signed up there.

There was an interesting theory in recruiting circles about risk factors relating the players who might be more of a flight risk then others and one of those was comparing metro to country players, country players were seen as less of a risk because regardless of where they were drafted they were still probably going to be moving out of Mum and Dads to start their careers, this is in comparison to the metro lads who (if they were drafted to a club in their home state) they would be able to stay home and not have their living arrangements interrupted.

Have a look at Geelong's list, hardly a Melbourne boy there, all from regional Australia.
Your above mentality is part of their recruitment strategy.

Have a look at Geelong's list, hardly a Melbourne boy there, all from regional Australia.
I like Bunk Moreland’s Country vs City idea for a match. The amazing thing about country boys are how many of them there in the AFL given the massive disproportionate population.

Could say the same thing about Indigenous players too...

Anyways - largely irrelevant to this thread

This makes sense, and good on the cats for using it to their advantage. They have the additional appeal to those kids as they can still remain in a rural environment.

Holy hell my keyboard imploded! Could not handle good words for the pussies.

Either hit the draft try to get three picks inside top 30 or if clarko thinks we can challenge next two years then two gun midfielders need to be traded in!
We are cactus in the guts!

Either hit the draft try to get three picks inside top 30 or if clarko thinks we can challenge next two years then two gun midfielders need to be traded in!
We are cactus in the guts!
Yep, the midfield needs help big time. Mitchell and O’Meara are guns but the rest are plodders. Also need a quality big defender who can kill the high ball and a big marking forward. 4 players and a top 10 pick and we will be amongst it

Tom Lynch isn’t going to save us if he was to join as a free agent. We need at least two quality key forwards. That’s why a player like Mitch McGovern would be an ideal fit.
McGovern would be ideal, once we've secured Lynch.

If not Lynch then McG doesn't help the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back