List Mgmt. Will the Hawks end up landing a big fish? Trade and FA news discussion of Hawthorn targets

Who should Hawks make a play for?

• Lynch

• McGovern

• Cogs

• We don't need any of these players

• Gaff

• Another player not mentioned above (specify in comments)

• B.Hill

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m all in. I don’t think the same mistakes were made this year as last & we have a better run home with returning players from injury, cohesion starting to come through & Clarko...we still have clarko Captaining the September destroyer
September spoils faded when the Tiwi Lion called it quits. Unreplaceable. Still gutted.

Cant believe I got sucked in by anotber 147 pages of free agent speculation after last years Impey climax. 3671 posts and counting - who really knows anything? Im out till the Welcome to Hawthorn - Jesse Lonergan thread.

what do you mean? Jarman Impey was a great get for the club. :thumbsu: 23 years old elite in a lot of areas...

Last edited:
so the big 4 remaining are and btw they are all around the 26 year old mark

Tom Lynch - tall forw
Andrew Gaff - winger
Jared Polec - small def/mid (has a melbourne gf, wants to move to melb now?)
Jeremy McGovern - tall def, whispers are, that his brother is unhappy at adelaide, might be able to get both if you get Jeremy?

Tom Lynch - tall forw
Andrew Gaff - winger
Jared Polec - small def/mid
Jeremy McGovern - tall def, whispers are, that his brother is unhappy at adelaide, might be able to get both if you get Jeremy?
I would take Jeremy off that list. Doubt he'll be going anywhere. Same for Polec.

Not hearing much on our interest for Gaff, and Kony suggests he's priced himself out of our favour.

We're in the race for Tom, and who knows what else we have in the works, but I would guarantee that theres many irons in the fire that we may not hear about for months, if at all.

Tom Lynch - tall forw
Andrew Gaff - winger
Jared Polec - small def/mid (has a melbourne gf, wants to move to melb now?)
Gotta get Lynch. Just have to.

The rest of that list doesn’t satisfy our needs for A Grade Mids*. Gaff is adding an inside edge to his game, but I reckon there’s more value to be found at $400k-$600k through trade this season & in getting Coniglio next season.

*given that we need multiple & Gaff May simply be too expensive to lure.

The rest of that list doesn’t satisfy our needs for A Grade Mids*. Gaff is adding an inside edge to his game, but I reckon there’s more value to be found at $400k-$600k through trade this season & in getting Coniglio next season.

The problem I have with Lynch is that he is in his prime now.

As a key forward, you pay for potential when they are 20.

When they are in their prime, you pay for an injury free, performing superstar.

Lynch has not put it out on the field for a season and a half.... and if he does get treatment and provides, we are getting something that has a tall forward's life span of a few years.

Not unhappy to get him at a good price, but not dissapointed if he goes elsewhere. He makes much more sense to the Tigers imo.

His key and perhaps only key attraction imo is that we don't have to trade for him.

The problem I have with Lynch is that he is in his prime now.

As a key forward, you pay for potential when they are 20.

When they are in their prime, you pay for an injury free, performing superstar.

Lynch has not put it out on the field for a season and a half.... and if he does get treatment and provides, we are getting something that has a tall forward's life span of a few years.

Not unhappy to get him at a good price, but not dissapointed if he goes elsewhere. He makes much more sense to the Tigers imo.

His key and perhaps only key attraction imo is that we don't have to trade for him.
But then whom else?

I agree with what you’ve said re: Lynch, but who/when is the next genuine KPF available for free? And when?

But then whom else?

I agree with what you’ve said re: Lynch, but who/when is the next genuine KPF available for free? And when?

Yeah... we don't have the star key forward that guarantees success. But also we don't need to be successful.... the benefit of being a strong club is being able to chose when to strike. Perhaps next year we have $ saved and someone is there that could really push us into contention for a decade.... a younger player that is more durable...

Or perhaps next year, with the rule changes, the whole game will be built around the spine like it used to be... and we realize we need to draft a gun tall with an early pick...or 2 or 3 gun talls

Not against getting Lynch... but not fazed at all about it.

Generally I think the role of the FA is for topping up... not striving for top 4.

(If we were playing the MFC this weekend... and they added Shiels... i would be worried... if they added Lynch.... not that worried.)

Last edited:
How we going to pay the salary cap if we dont get anyone?

Yeah at was my thought lol, don't you have to be at a minimum 92.5 % or something ? Either we will have to offer more money to the hacks we decide to keep at years end ? Or better restructure deals of current contracted quality players front ending the deals more ?

Any chance we’re targeting Brayshaw (OOC) or perhaps Brad Crouch n giving Adelaide even more early picks so they can load up for a dig at the #1 draft pick? Either would be great additions.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got something brewing

A lot of unsigned players for 2019 and its Round 17....something is happening, and in typical Hawthorn fashion, its in stealth. The media have no idea who we're targeting. Can be frustrating as a supporter, but always a good surprise in the end.

Any chance we’re targeting Brayshaw (OOC) or perhaps Brad Crouch n giving Adelaide even more early picks so they can load up for a dig at the #1 draft pick? Either would be great additions.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unfortunately Crouch has not played much recently and just undergone surgery for osteitis pubis or something similar. Whilst I have great faith in our medical and conditioning teams, it would be more reassuring to target someone who is less likely to spend time challenging their expertise.

I am not familiar with Brayshaw's medical history but I seem to recall he has had some issues also.

Unfortunately Crouch has not played much recently and just undergone surgery for osteitis pubis or something similar. Whilst I have great faith in our medical and conditioning teams, it would be more reassuring to target someone who is less likely to spend time challenging their expertise.

I am not familiar with Brayshaw's medical history but I seem to recall he has had some issues also.

If Angus Brayshaw is gettable, he would be a very very solid pick up. Concussion history that he has gotten himself over for the most part, vs. a guy with an already solid history of soft tissue injuries. I'd take Brayshaw over Crouch.

If Angus Brayshaw is gettable, he would be a very very solid pick up. Concussion history that he has gotten himself over for the most part, vs. a guy with an already solid history of soft tissue injuries. I'd take Brayshaw over Crouch.

Thanks for confirmation re Brayshaw.

Reality is if we don't get Lynch your next best hope of getting a quality key forward is landing a top 5 pick in the draft but even then it's hit and miss, basically given how bad our KPP stocks are getting Lynch is hugely important for us.

If we don't land Lynch and from listening to commentary it seems Collingwood are happy to pay much more than us, it leaves us likely to go to the draf. If the draft is our avenue we have to make sure we manoeuvre our way to land one of the King boys, both of those lads are 200cm and elite athletes who can contribute pretty quickly.

We've got something brewing

A lot of unsigned players for 2019 and its Round 17....something is happening, and in typical Hawthorn fashion, its in stealth. The media have no idea who we're targeting. Can be frustrating as a supporter, but always a good surprise in the end.

How do you know, or is this just a feeling of yours? Also the noise regarding Sloane and Lynch has been anything but quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back