Will the Swans get a KPF or not (with poll)

Will the Swans recruit/trade a KPF or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Something doesn't add up with Brown 190 goals in 3 seasons.. yet North cant get him out the door fast enough.

I haven’t seen a lot of (paid much attention to) Brown but from what I have read it seems like he is a bit one dimensional.

If the ball is delivered well to him he can mark and kick goals. But if he doesn’t mark the ball, he is a complete liability once the ball hits the deck / it’s in transition.

Clubs would need to weigh up the value he creates (goals) against the value he doesn’t (no defensive pressure, little ground ball ability, gives up goals on transition).

I haven’t seen a lot of (paid much attention to) Brown but from what I have read it seems like he is a bit one dimensional.

If the ball is delivered well to him he can mark and kick goals. But if he doesn’t mark the ball, he is a complete liability once the ball hits the deck / it’s in transition.

Clubs would need to weigh up the value he creates (goals) against the value he doesn’t (no defensive pressure, little ground ball ability, gives up goals on transition).
He is somewhat limited compared to some of the more athletic and defensively competitive key forwards in the league... and yet across the 2017, 2018 and 2019 seasons no one else kicked more goals than him.

His 2020 was terrible, but he had injury issues for the first time, pretty serious off-field challenges with his baby dying, and he was playing for an incredibly rubbish North Melbourne team that weren't giving him much service.

I think Daniher is still the most likely player on this list to come to us, simply on account of the history of mutual interest between club and player to get him here, but if that does fall through I think Brown is definitely worth consideration. With our game plan looking to move the ball through the corridor quickly and directly, having him leading out of the goal square would be an improvement on not having anyone leading out of the goal square, as we have had over the last year or so.

Football has changed so much in the last 15 years I barely understand it (particularly the rules) anymore. Might have to shut up permanently?

IF Joe Daniher was injury free he is imho the best fit of the available, particularly if he had genuine desire preference to be Swan rather than just maximising career value earnings and a fresh start.
However things have changed.
A full Swans youth rebuild is in progress (longer term goals) and Swans have 3 talls injury riddled sidelined already.
A big long term contract punt is just too risky - easily could turn into a disaster. (Not as much a problem for others like Lions)

Cameron would be very big bucks/ long term career ending contract to prize him away .
Rampe regularly towels him up! Goes missing in a quality skilled side
Swans need to develop the ability to get it deep into forwardline more times first to get any proper value from him.

Ben Brown apparently rejected 3 yrs @$750K. Wants longer deal. Rhyce Shaw says he doesn't fit his game style (which is copied from Swans/Roos/Longmire) will he turn 28 soon
How could anyone look forward enjoy the prospect to him shuffling in on a 35+ m run up wriggling the ball like it was a snake ?
He needs it delivered lace out on lead, or quick to one on one. NO second effort or below the knees defensive ability
Pass

Cox does he even football? He had one good game in the last two years !
Forget it.

Hogan - more head noises and injury concerns than... a lost rabbit in George St Sydney at peak hour ..nah forget it

This years draft - We know the big blokes take a couple of years. Even the King boys will/are taking time to fire up to potential .
Maybe pick up a project tall early pick but temper the expectations

OR be patient, concentrate on filling other positional gaps (hope some value is got from Buddy and Reid in 2021?) and target a young gun who has had development at the end of next year . eg Lukosius has potential as a CHF surely GCS cap has to be stretched to breaking point soon particularly if they are reducing it this years?

I don’t quite understand why we can’t either. Buddy 2022 -500k and 2023 -1m

Plus Reid off contract next year, probably Kennedy’s last year as well as all the players we have shed in the past few years.
I agree we can easily afford him. We have plenty of cap space available. What I want to in ow is how Cats can afford to bring in any more trades when they already went over their salary cap and were fined.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is fixed in stone by the AFL. RFA contracts can't be changed after the original offer and acception by the player.

Terms in how much each year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He didn't change the contract requirements at all. Buddy's contract was heavily weighted in the middle years, after year 2, and light on either end. The contract was the first to be made public by the AFL because Gillon had a hissy fit.

I think you’ve misunderstood me Tesla.
In 2021 his contract is (reportedly) 1.5m. In 2022 this drips to 1m (-500k) and in 2023 it is gone from our cap (-1m).

Ie. we can start building those savings into contracts from now on.
We can count Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker in the veteran's salary allowance so claim on them. This would free up plenty of cap I should think as not too many Swans players are on very much as most are young yet.

We can count Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker in the veteran's salary allowance so claim on them. This would free up plenty of cap I should think as not too many Swans players are on very much as most are young yet.

Veteran salary is gone isn't it?

I think you can scrap everybody on that list whose name isn't Jeremy Cameron or Joe Daniher. I don't think we'll target anybody else.
If we don't get them then we'll try for one in the draft or wait until 2021.
I don't think we're looking for depth guys like Wood, we seem to be prioritising quality and potential over depth. Which is understandable, we have enough depth players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you can scrap everybody on that list whose name isn't Jeremy Cameron or Joe Daniher. I don't think we'll target anybody else.
I don't think we're looking for depth guys like Wood, we seem to be prioritising quality and potential over depth. Which is understandable, we have enough depth players.

Is there any evidence that we're prioritising quality and potential over depth?

There's only hypothetical suggestions that we should look into Cameron, who is total quality and would be a walk-up in our 22.

There's seemingly strong info that we are looking into Preuss, who is not really quality but would be needed depth.

Don't get me wrong I'd love for us to be going hard at some elite players, just not sure there's any reason to believe we are... yet...

The longer it goes they look unlikely as well. As you very well :thumbsu: pointed out on the Draft board thread

Daniher - He can play finals the rest of his career for lions .......or rebuild with Sydney playing second fiddle sometimes to Buddy?????
Unless it is a secret hush deal to walk to PSD then now unlikely

Cameron - What would it take I reckon at least a 5 year $1mill + deal during a rebuild with Buddy and Reid still on the books
Why when if they got their sh!t (gameplan and team management) together ,they GWS ought be playing finals too?
Given AFL attitude (in past) why wouldn't GWS match with ambassadorial intervention from AFL?
No PSD for him he would end up in Adelaide or at Arden st.:$

I say WAIT! Then patiently get a young ruckman soon asap, a tall plus Campbell and Gulden in 2020 and pick carefully in 2021 or PLUS full on target a young rising gun KPF
(or defender to give McCartin the CHF role)?

Reckon Daniher is a massive injury risk.. especially as a rya which makes his contract set in stone. He'll be on good money and for a good amount of years (good not great).. could easily go pear shaped
Reckon Cameron is over valued. He'll be getting $1m+ when hes more like an $800 - $900k / year player
Brown - too old
Cox - useless
Hogan - train wreck
Wood - huh??

Can see us drafting a tall at p3 - maybe the Swans biggest priority is to get a tall to play and learn from Buddy for two years
Can also see us thinking about a cheap 1-2yr contract for Paddy McCartin to see if hes over his concussion issues. Im reading He thinks he is
The other consideration is who is available next year??

Any reason why Tilthorpe won’t be available at our pick?
people smell 2 metre pete around him.

Either go for a full on forward (mcdonald), full on defender (DGB), or just grab a handy mid (phillips or Hollands) rather than go for a bloke cause he's tall and beating kids the same age as him.

On that note, I know nothing and am just regurgitating what I have heard

This Poll list is growing and you can change your vote and now 2 votes are available, just having some fun and trying to see what posters think. Thanks for voting and posting.

Back