Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is this on the main board? It's clearly a troll and deserves to be on the bay.

Kelly had a disappointing year but still had his moments and will be an important part of the Eagles team going forward. Clearly this is nowhere near the worst trade ever.

Kelly was still a solid player this year, even better than some players that are among the last 4 teams in the competition.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Kelly was still a solid player this year, even better than some players that are among the last 4 teams in the competition.
Dead right mate.

Career worst year in covid season with new team and limited training etc

Given we were starving for small forwards this year , a few of us would have liked him playing a bit more forward

Played better without shuey so I reckon he is deferring a bit to team captain

Played poorly in an elimination final when needed and where big players on big bucks need to carry the team

He can't respond til next year but I'd back him in to use it all as motivation and have a great, more settled preseason.

Thread is what it is really. Most Cockburn supporters are only here because they are bored shitless.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
He’s had an average year. Eagles supporters are giving him excuses but they should be disappointed he didn’t live up to the what they bought.

You’d hope he will regain some form next year.

But no player is worth three first rounders.

Port Adel Proud

All Australian
Apr 22, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It could well be the worst trade for Kelly himself. Like Choco Williams said of Nick Stevens in the morning of GF day 2004, Chris Scott should properly enquire what Tim Kelly will be doing on Saturday night.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
He’s had an average year. Eagles supporters are giving him excuses but they should be disappointed he didn’t live up to the what they bought.

You’d hope he will regain some form next year.

Kelly was to bolster the midfield, it was not up to it in 2019. In Kelly Out Yeo. Not up to it in 2020.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It could well be the worst trade for Kelly himself. Like Choco Williams said of Nick Stevens in the morning of GF day 2004, Chris Scott should properly enquire what Tim Kelly will be doing on Saturday night.
No guarantee they'd have made the GF with Kelly in their side. Much like how we could have missed out on 2018 with Gaff in the team instead of Sheed who was probably our best player that finals series.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
It will continue to be one of the worst trades ever until West Coast win a grand final.

and won't they want that monkey off their back, considering what Geelong are about to do?

Last edited:
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
It will continue to be one of the worst trades ever until West Coast win a grand final.

and won't they want that monkey off their back, considering what Geelong are about to do.

What Geelong do this weekend has no bearing on the Kelly trade. If Geelong win a flag in 5 years with players drafted with picks from the trade maybe, but then we won a flag 11 years after trading out Judd and gaining Kennedy and of the 22 that took the field 3 were on the list when he got there.

sexyhunk

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
melb
AFL Club
Geelong

and won't they want that monkey off their back, considering what Geelong are about to do?

If thats how trades are determine than 98% of trades ever done are worst ever as only one team wins a grand final every year.

Kelly had a down year cause he set a high bench mark since he been in the league. He will be back at those heights once he settles and play week in and weekout in Perth

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
What Geelong do this weekend has no bearing on the Kelly trade. If Geelong win a flag in 5 years with players drafted with picks from the trade maybe, but then we won a flag 11 years after trading out Judd and gaining Kennedy and of the 22 that took the field 3 were on the list when he got there.

Are you bananas or something!!

Tim Kelly leaving has taken the shackles off players, such as Guthrie and Mengola to be the new kings of the jungle.

Geelong will continue to beat their chests for years to come, as they look back to a stagnate West coast happily marching to the beat of their own drum!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Tim Kelly leaving has taken the shackles off players, such as Guthrie and Mengola to be the new kings of the jungle.

Geelong will continue to beat their chests for years to come, as they look back to a stagnate West coast happily marching to the beat of their own drum!

Good trolling, enjoy. Geelong are where they deserve & so are the Eagles, even the Pies.

With the likes of Angus Allen & Liam Ryan coming thru stagnation is not likely.
2019 & 2020 have been missed opportunities, & with Hurn & Kennedy likely to make 2021 their last, Simmo will keep putting games into the kids.

Despite the arrival of Kelly, the midfield lacks the depth to cover first graders going down & hopefully Liam Duggan steps up, after 100 games he's up to AFL footy.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They didn't give 3 first rounders

Pick 11 - We traded that from Gold coast
Pick 13 - We got that for Tim Kelly
Pick 18 - We got that for making the GF

Good trolling, enjoy. Geelong are where they deserve & so are the Eagles, even the Pies.

2019 & 2020 have been missed opportunities, & with Hurn & Kennedy likely to make 2021 their last, Simmo will keep putting games into the kids.

Despite the arrival of Kelly, the midfield lacks the depth to cover first graders going down & hopefully Liam Duggan steps up, after 100 games he's up to AFL footy.

The St Kilda game where Kelly dragged us over the line despite missing Yeo, Shuey, Redden and Sheed was an example of what can be achieved - imagine if he had better support this year.

We need the B and C-tier midfielders - of which we have many - to step up when the injuries hit and support Kelly. Duggan improving another level would definitely help, he had a top year and hopefully can improve even more.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

We had their first pick last year as well, but like you said, they only gave up two firsts. It was WCE's second last year that we traded to GC for 11, but that was more our astute trading than anything WCE gave up.

People keep parroting that line as if we gave Geelong pick 1 and 2 from last year and this year's first. The first rounders were all outside the top 10 and with this year's free agency and academy picks this year's pick we gave to Geelong will probably be closer to 20.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
We had their first pick last year as well, but like you said, they only gave up two firsts. It was WCE's second last year that we traded to GC for 11, but that was more our astute trading than anything WCE gave up.

Exactly. How we got that I do not know, but that's why we pay Wells the big money

People keep parroting that line as if we gave Geelong pick 1 and 2 from last year and this year's first. The first rounders were all outside the top 10 and with this year's free agency and academy picks this year's pick we gave to Geelong will probably be closer to 20.

A lot of people talk out of their arse and it shows. The same people who think we'll give up Parfitt+Sav+Pick 11 for Cameron. Seriosuly.

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood

good summation

I have to say I disagree with your comments and your accusation of "trolling". I won't hold that against you though!

With the loss of Venables and the phase out of Redden, I can't see where the depth is coming from, even IF Duggan goes full time in the midfield.

Besides, nobody is going to replace Duggan or Hurn in the the backline, unless Nelson and Cole have another level, which I doubt!

At the end of the day, Geelong are at pole position and West coast are positioned middle of a crowded field.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
good summation

I have to say I disagree with your comments and your accusation of "trolling". I won't hold that against you though!

With the loss of Venables and the phase out of Redden, I can't see where the depth is coming from, even IF Duggan goes full time in the midfield.

Besides, nobody is going to replace Duggan or Hurn in the the backline, unless Nelson and Cole have another level, which I doubt!

At the end of the day, Geelong are at pole position and West coast are positioned middle of a crowded field.

Fair comment.
Redden is getting towards the end but not finished yet.

Cole effectively displaced Lewy Jetta in 2020, so with Schofield retiring we need a 3rd tall down back, with Rotham having played often in 2020.
Replacing Hurn isnt ever going to be easy, it will leave a hole in 2022. Nelson remains problematic.

The Eagles have the challenge in front of them, in the same boat as the Pies,

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

OK...

If getting rid of Kelly was the key to unlocking success for Geelong why did they make such a big song and dance about it? Should've just traded him for pick 35 and be done with it.

Guthrie had played 100 games before Kelly even got there. I think everyone is surprised this was his best season. Menegola in Kelly's first year was a 23 disposal, goal a game player - just like Kelly!

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

What did you lot trade to get Beams back again?

Pretty sure that's the worst trade in recent memory, other than Hogan, McCarthy, GC overpaying for Weller, etc...

Bungeye

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
OK...

If getting rid of Kelly was the key to unlocking success for Geelong why did they make such a big song and dance about it? Should've just traded him for pick 35 and be done with it.

Guthrie had played 100 games before Kelly even got there. I think everyone is surprised this was his best season. Menegola in Kelly's first year was a 23 disposal, goal a game player - just like Kelly!
I have to respectfully disagree and you may think i'm monkeying around, but I what a say is "truth"!
I believe Geelong "claim" they're a proud club, right?! They would have a sense of pride with their recent mature age draft successes and they obviously felt Kelly owes them some gratitude for an AFL lifeline.

Geelong obiously had an epiphany and came to the realisation that the game is bigger than the individual and it is littered with big names leaving clubs, but still remain successfull after their departure.

They only need to look in their own backyard for a recent case study to support this.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back