Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

JennyTaylor

Senior List
Apr 29, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Was the right call at the time and is the right call now. List managers recognised we were in the premiership window and swung for a home run. Didnt work out.

Now the Eagles bottom right out and very quickly, getting high draft picks asap and not being stuck in no-mans land in the middle of the ladder.

Id rather have wild fluctuations in our performance then drift around the way St Kilda has.

Purple Suit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was the right call at the time and is the right call now. List managers recognised we were in the premiership window and swung for a home run. Didnt work out.

Now the Eagles bottom right out and very quickly, getting high draft picks asap and not being stuck in no-mans land in the middle of the ladder.

Id rather have wild fluctuations in our performance then drift around the way St Kilda has.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I'm sure Geelong would rather have had Kelly lining up on GF day for them instead of the swag of picks they ended up with, but seeings as they were never keeping him they did as well or better than could be expected out of the trade.

We rolled the dice as we figured we were in with a chance for another flag and it would have been silly to ignore that and start the rebuild then. I don't think the covid years did us any favours, but we could hardly have predicted that.

Hardly one of the worst trades ever, a bit risky maybe but at the end of the day I think it's more dangerous to play safe.

Kobe Gryant

what colour is your Bugatti?
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
I'm sure Geelong would rather have had Kelly lining up on GF day for them instead of the swag of picks they ended up with, but seeings as they were never keeping him they did as well or better than could be expected out of the trade.

We rolled the dice as we figured we were in with a chance for another flag and it would have been silly to ignore that and start the rebuild then. I don't think the covid years did us any favours, but we could hardly have predicted that.

Hardly one of the worst trades ever, a bit risky maybe but at the end of the day I think it's more dangerous to play safe.

It's a bit of a paradox that one. Had we had Kelly we wouldn't have had Menegola and Guthrie forced to play higher midfield minutes in his absence.

Guthrie went on to be AA and the winner of the B&F, while Menegola was considered unlucky by many to not make the side.

These guys were just solid defensive midfielders before 2020. They joined the elite bracket in Kelly's absence. Guthrie has stayed there, Menegola has dropped off with injury and form.

I personally don't think it changed anything. I think we make the GF and lose to Richmond regardless of the trade.

rustycrate

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney

Who ever pays that much for a mid, which are so common in every draft, is an idiot.

Hamingja

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Who ever pays that much for a mid, which are so common in every draft, is an idiot.

Kelly level mids are not that common. Say between Duncan/Guthrie in 9/10 and whenever we drafted Kelly (19?), we didn't find one via the draft. If you have top 10 picks or a whole state academy then maybe but not for the rest of us. They were just a heap of junk picks at the end of the day. We basically flipped them for Cameron so someone will probably make the same thread about him in 2 years time if we don't jag a flag.

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
It's a bit of a paradox that one. Had we had Kelly we wouldn't have had Menegola and Guthrie forced to play higher midfield minutes in his absence.

Guthrie went on to be AA and the winner of the B&F, while Menegola was considered unlucky by many to not make the side.

These guys were just solid defensive midfielders before 2020. They joined the elite bracket in Kelly's absence. Guthrie has stayed there, Menegola has dropped off with injury and form.

I personally don't think it changed anything. I think we make the GF and lose to Richmond regardless of the trade.
Could that not have been simply a case of those players developing and getting better? I find it hard to see how losing Kelly would have made no difference to the team (especially after watching him against us in that semi final in 2019), but then I don't watch Geelong every week so I can't say it's impossible.

WestCoast05

Club Legend
Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast have had a pretty s**t year. 8 wouldn’t really worry about Kelly, he will no doubt thrive in a stronger environment overall. WC will improve, they don’t stay down for long.

He has been thriving - problem is not many other of his teammates have been..

Remove this Banner Ad