Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kelly's been our best mid this season, when on the park. He's held up his end of the bargain so far.

Not his fault the club misjudged the list when they traded for him.

There's been far worse trades.

Isn’t the club misjudging the list the whole premise of this thread though ?.

Kelly has performed at a very high level individually no doubt.

Isn’t the club misjudging the list the whole premise of this thread though ?.
Not really. Enough people have attempted to liken this to the Des Headland trade, where it's nothing of the sort.

Still young enough for a potential finals push in a few years also.

I'm not aware of those picks we traded for him amounting to anything yet either.

Like Crows with Gibbs, this club should have done the trade a year earlier and just makes it so much worse to piss fart around and still end up doing a deal next year.
I think we essentially turned our Gibbs deal into Tom De Koning, Lochie O'Brien and Matt Kennedy with some shrewd trades after it and draft picks left. You lose the player you need in that period but gain in long term. Other club left with a player they wanted for premiership tilt on list but the window closes so quick they missed the moment in time, they should have done the deal.

General acceptance that Geelong were never going to trade him in 19

The trade as a whole no, Kelly has performed at a fairly high level at West Coast and there have been a number of trades that have been worse output wise. Was it the best decision for West Coast clearly with hindsight no they needed to hit the draft and start their rebuild earlier.

Kelly has been really good throughout his West Coast run, it's just the team fell off hard. The Eagles were a year removed from a premiership when they picked him up, they didn't anticipate that they'd decline so hard.

What did they offer?
Cannot remember.
Just remember at time thinking they not up to scratch to what Cats invested in him so did not deserve to get him for pitiful offer that was pushed forward.
Look back in threads at the time as I was pretty vocal that Cats should not even consider it and thankfully they did not.
Eagles screwed up by not taking him in the draft when they actually wanted him. Then when his wife wanted to come back to Perth it seemed Eagles were lowballing Cats to try to take advantage of situation.

He’s probably leading the best and fairest this year, can’t do much more than that. I was annoyed when he left but too get Cameron in that time I feel like the cats have done great out of it.
Geelong should have a run at nn - could be the missing piece and i think most eags fans would love to see him win a flag

Not really. Enough people have attempted to liken this to the Des Headland trade, where it's nothing of the sort.

I'm not aware of those picks we traded for him amounting to anything yet either.

Fair enough.

There is a lot of over-rating of draft picks on BigFooty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know the des Headland equivalent at West coast Eagles was Sharrod Wellingham.

Sharrod Wellingham looked good at Collingwood. He had guys like Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Swan and beams etc.

Sharrod Wellingham at West coast had guys like Gaff, Priddis and Yeo and Sheed to work with

You guys were saying this in 2017 you know.

We arent a club that stays down for long.
Again..... Look at your squad.

Hurn is 33 or 34 years old. Kennedy is 34 years old.

Nick Nat is the same age as Michael Walters at 31 years old.

McGovern, gaff and darling are from the 2010 draft. All 3 have had 12 years at the club all 3 are around 30 years old.

Crows have historically never been down for long either and recently never spent 5 years in a row not making finals..... Until now.

After that 2017 grand final loss, they have not made finals. They haven't made finals from 2018-21. Don't look like making finals in 2022. That's 5 years mate.

I got mocked about Freo tolerating 5 seasons of not making finals by Eagles fans.

We all know the des Headland equivalent at West coast Eagles was Sharrod Wellingham.

Sharrod Wellingham looked good at Collingwood. He had guys like Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Swan and beams etc.

Sharrod Wellingham at West coast had guys like Gaff, Priddis and Yeo and Sheed to work with
Wellingham only cost pick 17 and ended up playing good footy at least.

Again..... Look at your squad.

Hurn is 33 or 34 years old. Kennedy is 34 years old.

Nick Nat is the same age as Michael Walters at 31 years old.

McGovern, gaff and darling are from the 2010 draft. All 3 have had 12 years at the club all 3 are around 30 years old.

Crows have historically never been down for long either and recently never spent 5 years in a row not making finals..... Until now.

After that 2017 grand final loss, they have not made finals. They haven't made finals from 2018-21. Don't look like making finals in 2022. That's 5 years mate.

I got mocked about Freo tolerating 5 seasons of not making finals by Eagles fans.
We havnt made 5 yet mate. Might wanna put a lid on it till it actually happens.

Which i have large doubts that it will.

Our last complete rebuild was 2008 - we finished last 2010.

We came 4th in 2011 h and a missing out on a gf appearance by points.

We were in a gf by 2015 and won in 2018.

So in that 10 year period we played in 2 gfs and won 1.

We have not made 5 yet mate. Might wanna put a lid on it till it actually happens.

Which i have large doubts that it will.

Our last complete rebuild was 2008 - we finished last 2010.

We came 4th in 2011 h and a missing out on a gf appearance by points.

We were in a gf by 2015 and won in 2018.

So in that 10 year period we played in 2 gfs and won 1.
Oh I believe you.

I enjoyed your rants on the main board, they have been legendary.

My favorite posts was at the end of 2017 or start of 2018, you went on a drunken tirade about No Non vic side has beaten a Victorian side in a grand final with out list or salary cap or draft concessions.

Not sure why you are suggesting age differentiates Tim Kelly from the Hedland trade.

Des Hedland was 22 when traded to Fremantle and Kelly was 25 when traded to WCE.

The point is in similar circumstances both clubs misread the state of their list and overpaid for what they thought was the missing link.

The consequences were a longer and deeper rebuilt.

Not sure why you are suggesting age differentiates Tim Kelly from the Hedland trade.

Des Hedland was 22 when traded to Fremantle and Kelly was 25 when traded to WCE.

The point is in similar circumstances both clubs misread the state of their list and overpaid for what they thought was the missing link.

The consequences were a longer and deeper rebuilt.
I'm not. I'm saying people are likening the trade to the Headland one, when the picks we gave were at the back of the first round, as opposed to no.3, and Kelly's actually performed since he's been here, unlike Headland.

Those picks we traded have amounted to nothing, at this stage. Not sure youthful de-list fodder would be helping us, right now.

Brisbane made out like bandits, especially considering they ended up with Caracella also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back