Will the Windies win a match on Tour??

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie_Roo

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are the Windies really that bad? Will they win a tour match? I wouldn't be surprised if they took a test off the Aussies. They have a proud tradition, and no doubt would be giving their all to keep their record of 13 consecutive test wins in tact.

Who the hell cares ?

How can you be sure that what you are looking at out on the field is the real thing and not some concoction dreamt up to make some big time punter in India or Malaysia a heap of money ?

So what if the Windies win a game, or two games, or whatever, its not fair dinkum is it ?

I'm not a cynic - I'm a pessimistic realist

BSA,

Anyone still thinking about being involved in match fixing now that it's all out in the open needs their head read.

A_R

If Lara keeps up his form this series might have a bit of life in it. Most of the recent tests played in Australia have relied on one or two batsmen scoring big with not much coming from the others. All it might take is for a Lara or Adams to score a couple of hundreds and anything could happen.

Mind you they only played the Lilac Hill thirds so we probably shouldn't take too much from that game.

BSA,

Ok wrong wording, but now that the authorities are on to it you wouldn't think anyone would be stupid enough to try it again knowing what Hansie and a few of the Indians have been through.

I don't know about anyone else but I have a horrible feeling in my stomach about Mark Waugh's involvement in this match fixing thing. Just hope to god I'm wrong.

I'd like to think that too Spogs but I have a feeling that we have really only scraped the surface of this horrible business.

Mark Waugh is a good example of this - there is alot more to come from this sordid affair than we have already been told.

I would love to just forget aboout it all but now everytime I look at a LOI or even a Test match I cannot help asking myself the question

Is this fair dinkum ?

Nobody knows ... and its only know that those who do know are beginning to talk.

cheers

When there is a search for corruption the first thing the corrupt people do is dob in the 'innocent' ones as being corrupt. They eventually get cleared but it keeps the focus off the corrupt ones for a while

We've probably gone off the topic but what gets me most about this whole match fixing issue is how a player can spend virtually his whole life devoted to practicing and playing cricket to try and make the national team, where you can make a very good living, and then deliberately play badly. Forget about the money where's his pride?

Richie Benaud said something like, "Ever since I started going to cricket as a kid I have tried to work out the best way to win a game. Now I find out that there are players trying to work out the best way to lose."

This all really sucks.

mud n blood ...So what do we do now?

Do we all question every time Australia win a game and just put it down to the other side lying down??? If Mark Waugh or Brian Lara get out for a low score is it because the're getting a $20,000 bonus out of it?

I think I'll spend the summer watching the WCW. At least you know your getting shite.

Look, I am one of the most avid cricket fans going around but two players in this series concern me and I find I am losing interest.

Brian Lara - Accused of match fixing to some extent. He actually impresses as a genuine type of bloke. Now over the last 5 years he has shown a distinct lack of passion for the game and did stand out of the team at one point.
I can't help thinking his loss of interest may have been because his conscience was getting the better of him and his genuineness caused him to really struggle emotionally with not giving 100% to his team.
This does not make any match fixing he may have done acceptable, it just may show he is a better man than Hansie.

Mark Waugh - For years he has been on the verge of being dropped only to make a big score at his last chance. Two things spring to mind if he has been more involved with John the bookie than he admits.
1. He was playing possum quite often and could just turn it on when he really needed to.
2. I haven't checked out the stats but I wonder if his career saving innings happened to be against India, Sth Africa and Pakistan where John's best mates were playing. If they are going to take money to play bad it should be no problem getting them to take money to let a specific opponent play well. It may even be easier. This way John the Bookie keeps his suppliers on the park.

These two people and their alleged indescretions are causing even me to be sceptical with this series. And these two teams appear to be some of the cleanest.

Back on topic, Spogs im with you. I reckon Lara will play at least one outstanding innings that might just be good enough to deliver a win to the windies. He needs some support from Chanderpaul,Adams etc.

At least i hope there is some fight in them, otherwise the summers going to drag longer than it is already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they will! I think the test match of the series will be at the WACA - McGrath and Lee against Walsh and McLean on a bouncey WACA pitch, watch the blood fly!

If you think that the West Indies have got it in them to go toe to toe in a bouncer war then your in for a shock,over here in England last summer we gave them plenty of short stuff especially at Lord's-Cork hit Ambrose a few times & they didn't like it,when they bowled it was all on a good length & Walsh hasn't got the pace he had & Mclean's not gonna scare anyone.I would expect Lee & Gillespie especially to terrorise them at the WACA if it's as fast a pitch as usual.I saw that Matthew Nicholson broke one of their blokes jaws with a short one it sure makes a change from the 80's when it was them dishing it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back