International Will the World Cup go ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I'm sure the NRL/ARLC would pay any compo that the NZRL have to pay to the British government after all they was only doing what the NRL/ARLC told them to.

I doubt it. Hopefully, some compromise can be found. Maybe we could have a Kiwi ref invited too.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I'd prefer any refs to English ones!

It should be down to the players. I'll bet all the Samoans and Tongans and the rest of the nations are dead keen to go. But it's so depressing to hear those comments from Cleary, which I imagine is typical of most NRL coaches. He makes no bones about the fact that he doesn't want his players to go, it might have a detrimental effect on the 2022 NRL season. And God knows, that is the only important consideration isn't it? :rolleyes: Well, I suppose the answer is, yes it is, from his point of view. His job is to try to win GFs.

And Meninga coming out and saying that he'd like to see international games arranged at the end of the season... at your effing convenience, of course, Mr Meninga! That just about takes the biscuit.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
People hear are saying "Throw the Aussies and Kiwis out of the IRL!", or "Suspend them for 5 years!", or whatever.

I think that's a bit melodramatic, but the sad truth is, if that did happen, I don't think the NRL would give a damn anyway.

Jesus, even the World Club Challenge is such an inconvenience to Aussie clubs that we have to pay them to come here, and still they moan about the timing, the weather. And that's one bloody game a year! :mad:

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'd prefer any refs to English ones!

It should be down to the players. I'll bet all the Samoans and Tongans and the rest of the nations are dead keen to go. But it's so depressing to hear those comments from Cleary, which I imagine is typical of most NRL coaches. He makes no bones about the fact that he doesn't want his players to go, it might have a detrimental effect on the 2022 NRL season. And God knows, that is the only important consideration isn't it? :rolleyes: Well, I suppose the answer is, yes it is, from his point of view. His job is to try to win GFs.

And Meninga coming out and saying that he'd like to see international games arranged at the end of the season... at your effing convenience, of course, Mr Meninga! That just about takes the biscuit.
Every sport should should promote itself in a positive light when it has the opportunity to, sadly Clearly hasn't the intelligence to see that and the positive coverage RLWC would get.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
The World Cup has officially been postponed until next year.
It won't happen then either as the ARLC fears it will undermine SOO with the Kangaroos losing 2 of their last 4 internationals.
The fear of losing to Tonga or even the Kiwis again is the big fear

Santana

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 28, 2008
It won't happen then either as the ARLC fears it will undermine SOO with the Kangaroos losing 2 of their last 4 internationals.
The fear of losing to Tonga or even the Kiwis again is the big fear
It's safe to say you are kidding yourself if you think the ARLC care that much about the prospect of the Kangaroos losing.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Yeah, but, as noted, it's not about worrying about the Kangaroos losing, is it? It's about the NRL basically not giving a damn about the international game, because they have a very profitable product of their own, and they don't want anything getting in the way of that. And I am equally cynical about them being any more interested in 2022 either, even though I imagine the RFL and international body will bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm 99% certain that the Kangaroos will find an excuse not to go to the 2022 world cup and the Kiwis will do the same as when the ARLC says jump the NZRL says how high. The NZRL want to ingratiate themselves with the ARLC at every turn and have just become sycophants for the ARLC. It really is time that the NZRL grew a spine and stood up to the bullying ARLC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back