International Will the World Cup go ahead?

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
And you (meaning Australia?) are virtually covid-free compared to us. Nearly 15000 new cases yesterday in the UK, 128000 deaths. SL games being postponed all the time... it's not looking good.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Sentiment running unsurprisingly very strong in the UK on this against the NRL

Wallabies, All Blacks, Olympians, cricketers are all out and about in the world. But not rugby league players it seems.

The view is widespread that the NRL don't give a damn about the international game (or even frankly, the professional survival of the sport outside of Australia). I find it hard to disagree. All the more so as it's not uncommon to hear those exact sentiments from Aussies too!

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I was hoping it would go ahead, but then I understand why they pulled out. I feel sorry for the Kiwi boys who've been forced away from home for nearly 2 years under strict NRL rules.

No arguments from me that, Australia will always do what's best for Australia.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was hoping it would go ahead, but then I understand why they pulled out. I feel sorry for the Kiwi boys who've been forced away from home for nearly 2 years under strict NRL rules.

No arguments from me that, Australia will always do what's best for Australia.
In my opinion a cowardly act which the AFL should take full advantage off and i hope nobody mentions player welfare when the coaches of Australia and the Kiwis want to play tests at the end of the season

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
In my opinion a cowardly act which the AFL should take full advantage off and i hope nobody mentions player welfare when the coaches of Australia and the Kiwis want to play tests at the end of the season

If the players keep acting like idiots we'll have nowhere to be able to play period.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Some sample comments from England:

We can debate the ins and outs of covid impact all day long but this isn’t about covid in any shape or form IMO and the NRL don’t deserve the respect of us letting them hide behind it. The NRL do not care one jot for internationals and haven’t done since the day the game boomed Down Under about 10-15 years ago. They see them as an inconvenience, that could potentially disrupt their competition and rob them of some of their stars on occasion. It’s that simple and if the players down under actually care about representing their countries, then they should kick up one hell of a fuss and force a change of stance through.

It is clear that the NRL has forced this decision. The Australians were the only competing nation not to sign the participation agreement - NZ had. But the NRL are clearly much more powerful than the people in NZ who are responsible for international rugby league and must have been forced to make this changed decision.The participation of other Australian and New Zealand representative sports in other disciplines is now well known and documented and none of these other international sporting organisations has hidden behind the covid excuse. Of course we appear to be in the grip of the virus in this country but we have made many concessions to appease the Australians. So please let’s see this for what it is. It is blatant self interest by those in control of the NRL.

Mal Meninga has given his blessing to Australian players who may wish to play for other nations - James Tedesco for Italy for example. And Josh Hodgson has said that he will come and play if selected. Apparently the clubs cannot legally stop their players from coming if selected. And the RLPA - the Australian players’ association- is angry because they were not consulted by those who made the decision on their behalf. This competition is bigger than any one nation - even Australia- and it should go ahead as planned. I would relish an England v Tonga or Samoa final and it would get a full house! Bring it on!

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
My first thought was no, but if they can cobble together enough guys for 'unofficial' Aussie and Kiwi sides, they might well go ahead. Depends how many NRL players want to come. Venues are sorted, tickets have already been sold, sponsors are in place. Aborting it now would be a hell of a business, and doubtless would end up costing the RFL even more money they haven't got.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Actually, that's a point; presumably there is a TV deal already in place in Australia for the World Cup, with Fox or Ch 9 or someone?

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Never thought much of Bennett as far as England were concerned, but he's being fair enough there. Cleary, like, I imagine, a lot of NRL coaches, has his own priorities. The question is, what harm do they do to the long-term good of the sport?

Or, do they give a damn?

Last edited:

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I was watching an NRL game the other night, and the commentator mentioned Huddersfield, and he pronounced it it as if he'd never really heard of the place.

It's only the birth-place of rugby league.

It's not even hard to pronounce! :D

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Some sample comments from England:

We can debate the ins and outs of covid impact all day long but this isn’t about covid in any shape or form IMO and the NRL don’t deserve the respect of us letting them hide behind it. The NRL do not care one jot for internationals and haven’t done since the day the game boomed Down Under about 10-15 years ago. They see them as an inconvenience, that could potentially disrupt their competition and rob them of some of their stars on occasion. It’s that simple and if the players down under actually care about representing their countries, then they should kick up one hell of a fuss and force a change of stance through.

It is clear that the NRL has forced this decision. The Australians were the only competing nation not to sign the participation agreement - NZ had. But the NRL are clearly much more powerful than the people in NZ who are responsible for international rugby league and must have been forced to make this changed decision.The participation of other Australian and New Zealand representative sports in other disciplines is now well known and documented and none of these other international sporting organisations has hidden behind the covid excuse. Of course we appear to be in the grip of the virus in this country but we have made many concessions to appease the Australians. So please let’s see this for what it is. It is blatant self interest by those in control of the NRL.

Mal Meninga has given his blessing to Australian players who may wish to play for other nations - James Tedesco for Italy for example. And Josh Hodgson has said that he will come and play if selected. Apparently the clubs cannot legally stop their players from coming if selected. And the RLPA - the Australian players’ association- is angry because they were not consulted by those who made the decision on their behalf. This competition is bigger than any one nation - even Australia- and it should go ahead as planned. I would relish an England v Tonga or Samoa final and it would get a full house! Bring it on!
Aussies and Kiwis are now classed as cowards. Thats the ulitmate put down

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was watching an NRL game the other night, and the commentator mentioned Huddersfield, and he pronounced it it as if he'd never really heard of the place.

It's only the birth-place of rugby league.

It's not even hard to pronounce! :D
Just how dumb are some commentators? He probably thinks the game was invented in Sydney.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Actually, that's a point; presumably there is a TV deal already in place in Australia for the World Cup, with Fox or Ch 9 or someone?
With Australia and the Kiwis pulling out, them TV companies would want some compo with the Kangaroos and Kiwis not going and also the British government will probably sue the the NZRL for breaking an agreement they signed as they have put a lot of money into this. I hope the NZRL have a lot of money to pay compo to the British Government with lawyers costs as well

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Harsh on the Kiwis given we've been supplying players to Australia and the UK at the expense of the game in NZ for a long, long time.

The decision should rest with the players and coaching staff, not the NRL.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Harsh on the Kiwis given we've been supplying players to Australia and the UK at the expense of the game in NZ for a long, long time.

The decision should rest with the players and coaching staff, not the NRL.
I'm sure the NRL/ARLC would pay any compo that the NZRL have to pay to the British government after all they was only doing what the NRL/ARLC told them to.

Back