Opinion Will there be any home games this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Won't be happy to keep paying for something I never get!

The club needs to start getting creative around smaller ticketed events or other revenue streams. At the very best I would think we will lose 3 home games this season. I think we will have some home games, but wouldn't be surprised to play 5 scheduled home games interstate.

The club needs to start getting creative around smaller ticketed events or other revenue streams. At the very best I would think we will lose 3 home games this season. I think we will have some home games, but wouldn't be surprised to play 5 scheduled home games interstate.

Even if we get home games, Marky Boi will go overboard with social distancing.

Likely have tiny crowds for the whole season.

Even if we get home games, Marky Boi will go overboard with social distancing.

Likely have tiny crowds for the whole season.
I hope not, those measures would be useless anyway. Omicron is the most transmissible disease there has ever been, luckily it is quite mild.

Once we start getting high numbers we will open up like everywhere else on Earth.

I probably will not be happy to donate my $1000 membership this time around. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that but it’s not looking good so far.

I hope old Marky boy comes to his senses and opens the border but I can see him capping the crowds at 50% for a while to.

We'll open up around March. We'll have home games. You'll need to be vaxxed and you'll need to wear a mask.

Most of us will be okay. Some of us won't. One class of people will be especially impacted. All day, every day - way past the inconvenience of 7 days of isolation or the upset of 4 or 5 days of illness. They will be literally stuck in a wicked rut of disease, sadness, discomfort and genuine pain. All day, every *en day.

Spend some time thinking about how we as a state can increase the value and esteem we afford healthcare workers. All of them. From patient care assistants to consultants. Every single one of them. We need to pay them more. We need to thank them even when we haven't just had personal need for the service and help they provide. We need to actually recognise and reward - genuinely reward - these roles.

Nurses especially are absolute bosses.

Last edited:
I hope not, those measures would be useless anyway. Omicron is the most transmissible disease there has ever been, luckily it is quite mild.

Once we start getting high numbers we will open up like everywhere else on Earth.
It is highly likely that we'll open up significantly if Omicron etc continues its foothold. The death rates from Omicron have been the highest of the pandemic in Australia and they're still rolling on everywhere else, other significant long term impacts seem to be there too, so the infection rates cancel out any higher rates of mild infections. Any measures, like vaccinations, social distancing and masks will help, they don't need to be perfect just to offer whatever containment we can get out of them.

The death rates from Omicron have been the highest of the pandemic in Australia and they're still rolling on everywhere else

The death toll has been high, the death rate has been the lowest it's ever been. The CFR is looking like it's 0.1%
Just for reference, our medical planning around covid was expecting a CFR of 2%.

logical but the year for science implementation was 2021. 2022 is the Year of Red Tape

The death toll has been high, the death rate has been the lowest it's ever been. The CFR is looking like it's 0.1%
Just for reference, our medical planning around covid was expecting a CFR of 2%.
As I've said earlier it's the number of deaths. "Rate" was used as an expression, rather than statistically (but even statistically it would need to be qualified because "rate" of what exactly). I did think of going back and changing it to numbers just after I'd written it, but I was too lazy to rewrite the sentence.

CFR is going to be smaller with smaller infection numbers (and higher vaccination rates) because treatment is better able to be managed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i'm actually a bit more optimistic about the season than I was a month ago. Ultimately it's all about the border, and now it's clear we're not going back to covid zero i'd be surprised if our border stays shut for another 2 months.

Wouldn't be surprised for another couple months of significant restrictions, until most kids have been jabbed and the peaks are easing interstate. But shouldn't affect the AFL season much.

Yeah i'm actually a bit more optimistic about the season than I was a month ago. Ultimately it's all about the border, and now it's clear we're not going back to covid zero i'd be surprised if our border stays shut for another 2 months.

I'm not sure he'll open the borders in May or June right at the start of flu season. If he's going to open any sooner, he really needs to let us know asap.

We might be ok

Reading that i interpret it as Freo having to FIFO for a home game i wouldn't call that a positive.

I may be reading it wrong.

I would rather the club push for those first 3 home games at the start of the year be swapped around if they have to hub on east coast for an early part of the season. And get them back on the double ups at backend of year.

Reading that i interpret it as Freo having to FIFO for a home game i wouldn't call that a positive.

I may be reading it wrong.

I would rather the club push for those first 3 home games at the start of the year be swapped around if they have to hub on east coast for an early part of the season. And get them back on the double ups at backend of year.
Yep. That’s the way it reads, we have a base “over east” and FIFO of WA for home games.

It’s more what happens to Freo/WC when they play away.

If the exposure is going to be the same as players coming here then it would mean they are in isolation at home during the week both ways.

If the rules are the same as the last time they were in isolation back home their family can come and go as they please around them.

If the exposure is going to be the same as players coming here then it would mean they are in isolation at home during the week both ways.

If the rules are the same as the last time they were in isolation back home their family can come and go as they please around them.
I doubt players will want to spend a large chunk of the season in isolation. It probably won’t matter, it’s 6 weeks away and cases will rise and the border will be open.

I doubt players will want to spend a large chunk of the season in isolation. It probably won’t matter, it’s 6 weeks away and cases will rise and the border will be open.
We will still also need the rules around exposure to known cases to be loosened so as few players are impacted as possible by a single case in the group.

We are going to be vulnerable since so many interstate players have already had it.

We will still also need the rules around exposure to known cases to be loosened so as few players are impacted as possible by a single case in the group.

We are going to be vulnerable since so many interstate players have already had it.
I imagine if the contact rules are too strict in WA the clubs will base themselves in a different state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back