Opinion Will there be any home games this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WA clubs will 100% be the most effected during the season regardless of the border. As you said most players outside of WA have already had COVID. Glad we aren’t a top 4 side this season.
Have they? I would've thought it'd be minimal, at least as far as what's been known publically. I know the Saints had an issue, but maybe I haven't seen other reporting on it.

Any which way, having it once certainly doesn't guarantee you won't get again. Especially if/when the next variant shows up

Have they? I would've thought it'd be minimal, at least as far as what's been known publically. I know the Saints had an issue, but maybe I haven't seen other reporting on it.

Any which way, having it once certainly doesn't guarantee you won't get again. Especially if/when the next variant shows up
Having it once doesn't guarantee you won't get it again but it does increase your resistance to Covid-19 significantly.

It was over 50% in early Jan before cases exploded over here. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it over 75% by now. Probably higher, my contact group over here would be closer to 90%.

Having it once doesn't guarantee you won't get it again but it does increase your resistance to Covid-19 significantly.
Certainly to the same strain, different strains of course less so. There are also studies that show that immunity is short lived (as little as 3 months). Being vaccinated also significantly reduces the likelihhod of infection. There is also an Omicron vax in the works, so there's plenty of doubts about whether having your home state endure that full Omicron wave will be an advantage to AFL teams.

Certainly to the same strain, different strains of course less so. There are also studies that show that immunity is short lived (as little as 3 months). Being vaccinated also significantly reduces the likelihhod of infection. There is also an Omicron vax in the works, so there's plenty of doubts about whether having your home state endure that full Omicron wave will be an advantage to AFL teams.
I believe that study may be old as latest information is that natural immunity lasts longer term (vaccine only lasts about 3 months).

It is the T cells our body creates that build the resistance, even catching the common cold increases your resistance to covid-19 to a lesser degree.

The problem at the moment is that the rules are still set up as if it was delta dominant. Omicron is like a bad flu season now that we are basically fully vaccinated, the rules should reflect that eg. No iso, open border.

I believe that study may be old as latest information is that natural immunity lasts longer term (vaccine only lasts about 3 months).

It is the T cells our body creates that build the resistance, even catching the common cold increases your resistance to covid-19 to a lesser degree.
No the study was late 2021. There is no "longer-term" as far as Covid-19 studies go. There just hasn't been enough time. The vaccine would offer similar protections to having had it, (if not better as they go because our immune systems don't get the level of information broad research does). Omicron has been pretty good at evading immunity built from prior infections, whether that fully extends to infections from itself is probably hard to know at this stage. As I said there is an Omicron vaccine in the works.

The problem at the moment is that the rules are still set up as if it was delta dominant. Omicron is like a bad flu season now that we are basically fully vaccinated, the rules should reflect that eg. No iso, open border.
The problem with that is the deaths are at their highest on the east coast. There is also significant side effects. It's much worse than a bad flu. Being fully vaxed will reduce this significantly though.

The problem with that is the deaths are at their highest on the east coast. There is also significant side effects. It's much worse than a bad flu. Being fully vaxed will reduce this significantly though.
Yes delta variant and back had significant side effects, omicron has a very low chance of having significant side effects (especially if fully vaxed)...like a bad flu.

The issue is it is a bad flu that is highly contagious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BA.2 hasn’t hit Australia yet and it hasn’t shown to vary in populations that have previous omicron infections or not so could be a “level” playing field anyway

Yes delta variant and back had significant side effects, omicron has a very low chance of having significant side effects (especially if fully vaxed)...like a bad flu.

The issue is it is a bad flu that is highly contagious.
It's highly contagious and as such killing people. As many people died in January with the Omicron virus as would in a whole year for the flu. There are also other reports of long-covid impacts as well.

Anyways, the key for this point is whether there would be any disadvantages to experiencing the Omicron wave or not and maybe mpre specifically when.

It's highly contagious and as such killing people. As many people died in January with the Omicron virus as would in a whole year for the flu. There are also other reports of long-covid impacts as well.

Anyways, the key for this point is whether there would be any disadvantages to experiencing the Omicron wave or not and maybe mpre specifically when.
Yep the Flu kills too assessment is always lacking the context of the rate of transmission. So far all strains of COVID 19 seem to be infinitely worse given the much higher transmissibility rate..

Yep the Flu kills too assessment is always lacking the context of the rate of transmission. So far all strains of COVID 19 seem to be infinitely worse given the much higher transmissibility rate..
I don't think it is so much worse that we have to lock down the state and its citizens. Protect the vulnerable absolutely but don't restrict peoples freedom for it.

I don't think it is so much worse that we have to lock down the state and its citizens. Protect the vulnerable absolutely but don't restrict peoples freedom for it.
Society's all about compromise. You restrict what you do so society functions better. It isn't all a one-way street, we get benefits from living in a large scale organised society.

I would argue that 99.9% of the 0.08% of people who will die with a positive covid-19 test are already known to the health and aged care systems.

Those people are the ones that are being protected, those are the ones who should be in isolation.

And I'd also argue that at least a third of those people will pass away within three to five years, probably more like three to five months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back