Will there ever be a breakaway Super League in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Some clubs getting richer and others getting poorer , some clubs have 5 times the members of other clubs yet they get less dividend from the AFL. Will the richer clubs crack the sads and breakaway at some stage? Maybe a new media player will propose it simular to World Series Cricket.?

People seem to love their club above all else for the most part. Makes it extremely unlikely I would imagine.

I could see it happening. A new operator decides they can do footy better. They put word out that they'll be starting a league in three years time (let's say 2022), they outline their short-, medium- and long-term plan, simplified rules, stadiums agreements, number and location of teams, significantly increased salaries, tv deals and other broadcast rights (TV (as we know it)might not even be a part of it... which could all be far more appealing than what the AFL currently offer.

Players might then not go looking for contracts past 2021. The AFL would then be forced to act, but a compromise might be the best they can achieve.

Some clubs getting richer and others getting poorer , some clubs have 5 times the members of other clubs yet they get less dividend from the AFL. Will the richer clubs crack the sads and breakaway at some stage? Maybe a new media player will propose it simular to World Series Cricket.?

In addition to not being able to use club names, logos, and identities, you also have the stadium issue. Same as WSC, where are you playing games?

After the way it happened and what it did to Rugby League I don't think so.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Add a Canberra side and a Tassie side. Make it 20 teams. Let the 10 non Victorian clubs break away from the 10 vic clubs.

VFL can have their bush league. the 10 non vic sides can be part of true AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back