Will this be the Greatest Fast Bowling Quartet Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

They will be doing well to get ONE up there with the Windies quicks. They are greats of the sport!

Only 1 of that quartet took 300 test wickets.

hazlewood will certainly achieve that.

By sheer weight of matches..

If Hazlewood plays the same amount of matches as Marshall, he's on track to take 325 test wickets.....so no.

The bloke averages 25 and has been compared by all and sundry to McGrath at the same age, his stats are nearly identical, you know that bloke who's probably a better bowler than every single one of those 4?

If Hazlewood plays the same amount of matches as Marshall, he's on track to take 325 test wickets.....so no.

The bloke averages 25 and has been compared by all and sundry to McGrath at the same age, his stats are nearly identical, you know that bloke who's probably a better bowler than every single one of those 4?

I know who I'd rather face though

I know who I'd rather face though
None of them for me thanks............
I'm shitting myself just thinking about it.

I'm a dinosaur, but does else anyone remember, or has anyone seen footage of when the Windies were presented with, and were required to wear salmon pink outfits in the early WSC days.
They were ropeable to say the least. They were fuming.

I wouldn't liked to have been any batsman facing them that day....

Wait what? Marshall has taken 375, that's not comparing him to all 4.

If he plays the same amount of matches that Holding played, he'll take less than Holding at current average. Same as Garner, less. Same as Croft, less. Same as Walsh, less. Same as Ambrose, less.

Last edited:
Windies by a fair margin, but, a lot of underselling of the Aussie quicks by some.

2-3 of them will be right up there in the wickets column by the end of their career.

Cummins and Starc aren't exactly medium pacers.

I'd like to see the Windies averages' with smaller boundaries, flatter pitches, bigger bats and fielding restrictions.

Wouldn't be nearly as flattering.

id like to see the current Australians' averages in an era where there were no minnows (Australia themselves were the closest thing to it - the West Indies quartets never got a crack at Sri Lanka iirc), where every team aside from the occasional rebel tour banned individual was fielding its strongest XI, where the subcontinental teams were renowned for, ahem, doctoring pitches and home town umpires etc.

I don't know why the ground dimension thing matters at all. West Indies grounds have always been small, so have the major grounds of most countries. Australia itself is the one country where the ropes have made a genuinely noticeable difference to the overall dimensions of the grounds.

You seriously reckon McGrath is better than all of them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You seriously reckon McGrath is better than all of them?
As a wicket taking bowler probably true, for intimidation factor obviously not going to match Holding, Roberts, Marshall, even Patrick Patterson.
When talking quartests though, its important to make sure they played together. Off the top of my head I doubt Roberts ever played a Test with Marshall.

edit: Marshall started his Test career earlier than I thought and Roberts went longer than I thought. Their careers actually overlapped by a few years. Holding, Roberts, Garner, Marshall did play together. * that. Imagine being someone like Maninder Signh, a tailender playing his first Test away from the dustbowls of the sub-continent and running into that.

As a wicket taking bowler probably true, for intimidation factor obviously not going to match Holding, Roberts, Marshall, even Patrick Patterson.
When talking quartests though, its important to make sure they played together. Off the top of my head I doubt Roberts ever played a Test with Marshall.

edit: Marshall started his Test career earlier than I thought and Roberts went longer than I thought. Their careers actually overlapped by a few years. Holding, Roberts, Garner, Marshall did play together. **** that. Imagine being someone like Maninder Signh, a tailender playing his first Test away from the dustbowls of the sub-continent and running into that.

I'm certain that Garner and Marshall have superior averages, economy rates and strike rates.
Ambrose had a better average and economy rate.
All factors considered I think he'd get a run in those sides but I'm certain he'd be 3rd picked at best when you factor in the relative lack of fear.

I'm certain that Garner and Marshall have superior averages, economy rates and strike rates.
Ambrose had a better average and economy rate.
All factors considered I think he'd get a run in those sides but I'm certain he'd be 3rd picked at best when you factor in the relative lack of fear.
Feel like it's hard to compare pace bowlers before and after the bouncer got neutered. Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar would probably have been ten times as lethal as they were if they were able to spam bouncers like in the 70's/80's.

Feel like it's hard to compare pace bowlers before and after the bouncer got neutered. Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar would probably have been ten times as lethal as they were if they were able to spam bouncers like in the 70's/80's.
They used to try and intimidate Chappelli with bouncers, he'd just stand up, and pull and hook them to the boundary. No helmet required.

If this quartet do play then it would be very exciting not just for aussie but for world cricket, its a mouth watering prospect but injuries have hampered the progress of the cricketers.

If this quartet do play then it would be very exciting not just for aussie but for world cricket, its a mouth watering prospect but injuries have hampered the progress of the cricketers.
And Patto over at Trent Bridge atm mopping up the Poms with both bat and ball.

I've got a program from the second Australian rebel tour of South Africa that has a selection of stats from all of the rebel tours included in it. Among all the countries that toured South Africa back then, and the South African side, Clarke's bowling figures are head, and shoulders above all else. He's a real cricket sliding doors story.

There is the tantilising prospect of having Starc, Cummins, Pattinson & Hazlewood available for the upcoming summer. This is something I have been anitcipating for a very long time now. However over & over and over again injuries have taken this away and it has seemed a distant dream.

Individually each has impacted test cricket when they have had their uninjured runs. Hazlewood has become the most durable and is such a reliable consistent bowler. Starc has until recently injured had enough opportunity to become one of the highest rated fast bowlers in the world. Cummins initial debut followed 5 years by his second "debut" have been both super impressive. Pattinson has been somewhat forgotten but he played some fantastic cricket when available.

We have never really seen any more than 2 of them operate together due to injury. Hazlewood & Starc alone have become a formidable pair. However, if you throw in the firepower of Cummins & Pattinson it becomes down right scary. Each has unique attributes and brings something different which is important, all are genuine wicket takers.

If they all get on the park I believe these four will be the greatest quartet of fast bowlers since the great West Indian sides and in many ways could be better. They will be that good we will be able to afford to do what the Windies did and go in with no spin or play a guy like Maxwell just for fun. In addition to their bowling Pattinson, Cummins & Starc can all genuinely bat and score runs, they are not bunnies.

I have severe doubts their bodies will allow them, but there is a glimmer of hope there that it will happen in the first Brisbane test.
Naa I dont think so that they will be that good

When comparing bowlers of different generations do we factor in the quality of the pitches?
Article today quoting Rodney Hogg (I think) pointing out how ridiculous Starc's strike rate is considering the roads he bowls on in ODI games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back