Will this group finally exorcise the curse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
So we've got.
  • The coaches we need
  • The admin we need
  • The list is now balanced
  • The depth
  • The system
  • The belief
(the pertinent bits)

Will this group, the whole group as in the whole footy department, finally put to bed this *ing c***ing curse? And finally deliver a flag, or maybe even 2?

And finally put our collective warranted frustrations to rest?

If it were any other club, particularly a club like hawthorn, you'd have no worries, you'd chalk it up wouldn't ya.

But nah, uh uh, not us - the only thing between us and success is that *ing curse.

Yeah I expect the usual captain obvious replies 'flags are really hard to win', yeah no sh*t, but only us will have reservations, even given our 'box seat' position.

I'm not religious, but I'm praying like * we don't have yet another heart breaking frustration, again, *in again.

So we've got.
  • The coaches we need
  • The admin we need
  • The depth
  • The system
  • The belief
(the pertinent bits)

Will this group, the whole group as in the whole footy department, finally put to bed this *ing c***ing curse? And finally deliver a flag, or maybe even 2?

If it were any other club, particularly a club like hawthorn, you'd have no worries, you'd chalk it up wouldn't ya.

But nah, uh uh, not us - the only thing between us and success is that *ing curse.

Yeah I expect the usual captain obvious replies 'flags are really hard to win', yeah no sh*t, but only us will have reservations, even given our 'box seat' position.

I'm not religious, but I'm praying like * we don't have yet another heart breaking frustration, again, *in again.

curse smurse....have a look at tonight's gameday thread...

Need to keep them healthy. We haven’t had any season-enders yet, long may that continue. But the injuries are already piling up. Hopefully Wade can keep them out of strife.

It's not really about injuries or list, we have depth and balance now, we have system to succeed.

We've had this in the past, just over a decade ago we had a dynasty team and managed to * that up too.

The only thing holding us back, every time we're in a dominant position we manage to * it up. *in infuriating!

Will we finally stop shooting ourselves in the foot?

Just came across a you tube clip of the entire 1973 prelim against Richmond. No side has had the capacity to play like a superstar team early in finals only to fall apart late in games. It's uncanny as it has been a pattern across decades. Some of the footy in the first half of that prelim was the best you could wish to see. Thommo on a rampage at Centre half forward, Jerker Jenkin taking hangers and kicking raking drop kicks, Max Richardson snapping goals on his left foot, Georgie Bisset running rings around the opposition. Kink in his first game as a 16 year old kicking three on Dick Clay. It was sublime stuff. Lord, Robbie Dean was a brilliant wingman on his day. He could do it all in the air and on the ground.

Three years after the horror of 1970 and we did it again. Similar lead. Go down by a kick very late in the game. Tigers getting 16 more frees and as usual some bloody dubious ones near the end. Bartlett snapped a left footy from the boundary to seal a 7 point win. Phil Manassa also came off the bench in the last term for what I think was his first game.

Each time a new Collingwood team looks likely I hope they have the steel and resilience to overcome the curse. Let's hope we are seeing one right now.

For the masochists. Watch the first half if it hurts too much.

It's not really about injuries or list, we have depth and balance now, we have system to succeed.

We've had this in the past, just over a decade ago we had a dynasty team and managed to * that up too.

The only thing holding us back, every time we're in a dominant position we manage to * it up. *in infuriating!

Will we finally stop shooting ourselves in the foot?

It is about injuries IMO. If we can have a healthy list throughout the season, we are a very good chance of winning it.

It is about injuries IMO. If we can have a healthy list throughout the season, we are a very good chance of winning it.
Of course it is, that is obvious, any other club fan base would be 'we're gonna win it this year' if they have a healthy list, system, depth, culcha etc.

We've got all the key ingredients to win a flag or even two.

My point is, even if the planets align we have warranted reason to have fear of losing the gf in the last 10 seconds, coz of that *in curse.

I imagine I'm not alone in this view.

I’m not sure about a curse, but I am sure about a lot of self-induced s**t in our inglorious past. Poor management, poor decisions, hubris and arrogance.

Now we have the benefit of a good coach, possibly a great innovative coach, and smart stable management. The board has settled down and the president is nearly invisible- thank God!

I’m able to say that we’re now a well run club.

I’m the most confident I’ve been in decades.

In the last 60 years we were hardly ever favourites for a flag except the two we won.
First 60 years almost always favourites to win when in a GF.
We made a lot of grand finals when in reality better teams did not.
Lots of shite admin, Coaches and a couple of bad umpiring decisions cost us as well.

In the last 60 years we were hardly ever favourites for a flag except the two we won.
Lots of shite admin, Coaches and a couple of bad umpiring decisions cost us as well.
We were the best team in 1970 and again in 1973. We were the best team in 1977. We lost two GF's and lost a prelim in 73. We were top class in those years- especially 70 and 73. Quality all over the ground. There are those who scoff at curses and wobbles but I've seen it happen far too often and usually with a freakish bit of footy (Harmes follow up of his scrubby kick and tap on from the boundary or that unrepeatable sequence of 4 one in ten occurrences when the Eagles hit the front) or dubious umpire call deciding our fate which makes it feel predestined.

I have felt "this is the year" so often and now I understand that you can keep having your heart broken. There doesn't seem to be a "you've suffered enough" rule. It just keeps happening. So, I will hold my breath until we win one again. I would love to win a close one or come from a long way back - I don't think we have even done that in a granny.

We were the best team in 1970 and again in 1973. We were the best team in 1977. We lost two GF's and lost a prelim in 73. We were top class in those years- especially 70 and 73. Quality all over the ground. There are those who scoff at curses and wobbles but I've seen it happen far too often and usually with a freakish bit of footy (Harmes follow up of his scrubby kick and tap on from the boundary or that unrepeatable sequence of 4 one in ten occurrences when the Eagles hit the front) or dubious umpire call deciding our fate which makes it feel predestined.

I have felt "this is the year" so often and now I understand that you can keep having your heart broken. There doesn't seem to be a "you've suffered enough" rule. It just keeps happening. So, I will hold my breath until we win one again. I would love to win a close one or come from a long way back - I don't think we have even done that in a granny.
1970 we were favourite but McKenna got knocked out before half time.
1973 Richmond and Carlton played off so we can't have been favourites. That gets determined once 2 clubs play off in a GF.

1977 North had superstars everywhere. I could name 10 or more better than us. Phil Carman playing would have made us favourite. That's how good he was.

Lots of shite admin, Coaches and a couple of bad
I don't know if we were raging favourites in '90 & '10? This year feels a bit like '03 & '11 so yes I am keeping the lid on.

I don't know if we were raging favourites in '90 & '10? This year feels a bit like '03 & '11 so yes I am keeping the lid on.
Once we reached the GF vs Essendon we were the raging favourite. We destroyed Essendon in a semi beforehand.

2010 we were also favourite once in the GF.

I'm not talking pre GF favourite. Just out of the two teams that manage to make it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1970 we were favourite but McKenna got knocked out before half time.
1973 Richmond and Carlton played off so we can't have been favourites. That gets determined once 2 clubs play off in a GF.

1977 North had superstars everywhere. I could name 10 or more better than us. Phil Carman playing would have made us favourite. That's how good he was.
We were the best team throughout the season in 73. It happens at locall level too.
I've watched the 70 gf few times. I know Macca got hurt but he still took some strong marks in the 2nd half and was involved in some nice passages of play.

I agree with 77. North had far more stars but with Carman playing we win!

We were the best team throughout the season in 73. It happens at lo Al level too.
I've watched the 70 gf few times. I know Macca got hurt but he still took some strong marks in the 2nd half and was involved in some nice passages of play.

I agree with 77. North had far more stars but with Carman playing we win!
Yes Carman plays we would have been favourites.

I'm talking GF teams only. Who is the favourite once two teams play off.
Early season favourites anything can happen.

I’m not sure about a curse, but I am sure about a lot of self-induced s**t in our inglorious past. Poor management, poor decisions, hubris and arrogance.

Now we have the benefit of a good coach, possibly a great innovative coach, and smart stable management. The board has settled down and the president is nearly invisible- thank God!

I’m able to say that we’re now a well run club.

I’m the most confident I’ve been in decades.
We’ve made GF’s we had no right to get close to and almost pulled a couple off. We’ve been the best team in too many years and then fell apart as well. I’m confident this club is now built for the right stuff.

I dunno why people talk this kinda stuff. We're 3 weeks into a new season after one of the most enjoyable years of watching the Pies play in my 74 years. Let the media and the rest of the haters bring up this "curse" stuff later on if we're lucky enough to make finals....

Lol...its just footy?

Going to have to have a Vic Park bonfire in the style of Ted Lasso to release the curse.

But seriously... nah. No curse. All our misfortune was surely spent in the farcical 2018 GF.

I dunno why people talk this kinda stuff. We're 3 weeks into a new season after one of the most enjoyable years of watching the Pies play in my 74 years. Let the media and the rest of the haters bring up this "curse" stuff later on if we're lucky enough to make finals....

Lol...its just footy?
Well it's not just footy to me.

Whichever you wanna boil it down and dissect it, since our 58 flag we've been in the gf 14 times for two wins, 14!.

Whether it's a curse or just pure incompetence, those are the hard to swallow facts, may as well be stkilda with that sort of poor performance.

*in infuriating.

giphy.gif

So we've got.
  • The coaches we need
  • The admin we need
  • The depth
  • The system
  • The belief
(the pertinent bits)

The curse is gone mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back