Will this Scandal Cost Vlad his Job?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
- constant denials that the AFL has any performance enhancing drug issues

- relied pretty much on testing alone for surveillance, even though most new drugs cannot be detected because of the short time they remain detectable in your system

- called a commentator delusional for implying the AFL had an issue (during the C7 drugs summit)

- conducted an audit on all 18 clubs, which fell apart as a complete farce just a couple of weeks later

- has publicly and frequently raised concerns about the growing influence of sports science types in the game, but did nothing to reduce this or enforce the primacy of the role of the club doctors in these issues

- constructed an illicit drugs program that had loopholes that allowed use with self declaration, with this kept quiet from club and public. Although not PED, it sent the message to the players, we are more concerned about you publicly being caught than actually being caught using illicit substances.

- If worst case happens (as we understand it today), may be overseeing the league at a time in which Essendon has much of its list at risk of suspension, Melbourne having select players exposed, one other club potentially using HGH, and at least 30 players in 6 clubs using themselves.

For me, Vlad has been asleep at the wheel. In recent years we have seen wide abuses of PED's in the NFL, MLB, cycling, and so on, but Vlad was adamant that we didn't have an issue, and didn't need to do more on it. For me, he's dropped the ball on either being excessively naive, or not wanting to open pandoras box and risk exposing a bigger problem. For me this isn't acceptable, and its time for him to be moved on.

He is very quiet today ! Do we have a commission meeting happening via phone this morning ? I would not be surprised if an announcement declaring all forms of supplements banned from today until a study has been undertaken and guidelines developed.

Couldn't agree more. The double standards, the carpet sweeping, the denials. He lost me with the Rendell/Mifsud/Fahour affair. He threw Rendell under a bus and upheld Mifsud as a victim. Turns out not long after that Mifsud is nothing but a trouble maker. The handling of the Adelaide/Tippett affair was appalling as the AFL leaked like a sieve - often with the press knowing information about the investigation before the Club did. Then you had the "didn't really tank" fine of $500,000. And now this debacle. I have absolutely no confidence that he can command integrity from his Clubs when it's clear he has none himself.

Couldn't agree more. The double standards, the carpet sweeping, the denials. He lost me with the Rendell/Mifsud/Fahour affair. He threw Rendell under a bus and upheld Mifsud as a victim. Turns out not long after that Mifsud is nothing but a trouble maker. The handling of the Adelaide/Tippett affair was appalling as the AFL leaked like a sieve - often with the press knowing information about the investigation before the Club did. And now this debacle. I have absolutely no confidence that he can command integrity from his Clubs when it's clear he has none himself.
Interesting how the leaks have stopped since Anderson left. It was a disgrace during the Tippett affair. It is obvious that Gilligan is not told anything after his they are on the back nine in the investigation comment.

He is very quiet today ! Do we have a commission meeting happening via phone this morning ? I would not be surprised if an announcement declaring all forms of supplements banned from today until a study has been undertaken and guidelines developed.

Players will start breaking down AFL wide on a scale similar to Essendon last year.

Oh what a tangled web we weave.....

there's definitely a feeling of things spinning well out of control for Vlad. He would be so angry right now I reckon. Angry and embarrassed.

look on the bright side, he might lose some weight with all the stress. no alcohol, but they bring in the pizzas for the 24 hour shifts they are pulling with their queens counsel, the pizzas chistine nixon failed to order cos she was chowing down at vue de monde

Posted this on the essendon investigation thread but is probably better here.

"This situation is getting very messy. With Essendon, Melbourne, and at least one other club (not to mention Geelong and GC links to Dank and the so called North Melbourne links to Bates) the media will have a field day. Andy D has to be careful what he does and what he says from here (he has already given the media to much ammunition). The person whose job is most under fire is his. The whole AFL's integrity is under question and he has already made to many mistakes. He needs to tread very carefully".

It's all getting away from him, isn't it?

He'll be furious.

Any chance he had of just pinning it all on the Bombers and walking off into sunset seem to be dashed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fatter they are the bigger they fall and his head is fat with ego and rhetoric .
When he speaks he actually has 2 distinct voices and it is easy to tell when he is hiding something or just flatout telling porkies . He gets in this passive aggressive controlled spew mode . He needs to go and so do many more .

Vlad is doing a fine job, he's the lighting rod. You think the commissioners representing club want him offside, now Vlad going rogue, that does cause me to salivate. Imagine the pearlers he's saved up.

there's definitely a feeling of things spinning well out of control for Vlad. He would be so angry right now I reckon. Angry and embarrassed.
It's all happening outside the usual football media which he feels he can stare down. He can't stare down the ABC, he can't stare down the Fairfax writers who aren't involved in football media.

Remember Dylan Howard? Slimy bastard, but no more so than the other snivelling toads in footy journalism (ie Damian Barrett). Yet Dylan had the audacity to try to expose drug use in the AFL ... where is he now?

Benny Gale is the heir apparent and not Gilligan

He's actually already rejected going back to the AFL (when AA's job was up for grabs). Said he has unfinished business to be done at RFC

I don't think vlad has slept at the wheel I think he knows about every issue, there is no way information gets to the public and vlad doesn't know about it in advanced.

Every single club is an investment as is evey player and he will protect them by hiding everything that is negative just for the love of money.

If he truely stuck by his his policies half the comp would be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back