Will this Scandal Cost Vlad his Job?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've held off from discussing the tanking issue, but seeing as how Vlad's reign is under question I'll give you my opinion.

What is tanking? In my opinion it is the players not playing to their best ability and actively trying to lose. Did this happen? I don't think so; I doubt you could ask a team of professional footallers to do this and not have a mutiny on your hands. So, in the strict application of the definition, Melbourne didn't tank.

However, if you tie someone's arm behind their back you can't expect them to succeed. This is what Melbourne did. They used the backdoor approach to lose games and gain the priority picks. Bailey said as much when he resigned: "I was asked to do the right thing by the club and I did."

Now in horseracing, not allowing the horse to race to its potential is a serious matter and a jockey found guilty of it can expect a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

So, Melbourne didn't allow their team to play to its potential, and as such brought the game into disrepute. This is what the AFL fined them for.

I've held off from discussing the tanking issue, but seeing as how Vlad's reign is under question I'll give you my opinion.

What is tanking? In my opinion it is the players not playing to their best ability and actively trying to lose. Did this happen? I don't think so; I doubt you could ask a team of professional footallers to do this and not have a mutiny on your hands. So, in the strict application of the definition, Melbourne didn't tank.

However, if you tie someone's arm behind their back you can't expect them to succeed. This is what Melbourne did. They used the backdoor approach to lose games and gain the priority picks. Bailey said as much when he resigned: "I was asked to do the right thing by the club and I did."

Now in horseracing, not allowing the horse to race to its potential is a serious matter and a jockey found guilty of it can expect a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

So, Melbourne didn't allow their team to play to its potential, and as such brought the game into disrepute. This is what the AFL fined them for.

So where does deliberately trying to predetermine the result of the match sit with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back