Will this season get finished or will it be null and void?

Remove this Banner Ad

From experience, anyone who uses public transport is being forced to work without social distancing. We have 23 floors in the building of our office. They’ve got hand sanitiser on entry, cordoned off paths and limit of 2 people per elevator. But it all seems a bit pointless when you get the same peak hour train to and from.

Of course none of that makes football safe, but everyone currently going to work is doing so under that same element of risk. Eventually, footballers will have to make a decision on that risk just like the rest of us.

Some common sense here. Im in a 7 story building sharing common facilities with 60 other people on our floor. 6 in my office. Theres millions of others just like it. Woukd I go to work if I had the choice? No I wouldnt. I have to work to support a family and it really is dishrartening when some people only seem concerned with footballers who are offered protections and mitigations us everyday workers can only dream of.

ffs this s**t is tedious
I agree. There must be something we can do on here that brings us together, rather than it descending into an out and out free for all shitfight. I know banning the scousers isnt an option but there must be something? The mods should try and set up some sort of thread, perhaps a tournament of some description they do on other boards

Some common sense here. Im in a 7 story building sharing common facilities with 60 other people on our floor. 6 in my office. Theres millions of others just like it. Woukd I go to work if I had the choice? No I wouldnt. I have to work to support a family and it really is dishrartening when some people only seem concerned with footballers who are offered protections and mitigations us everyday workers can only dream of.
We have a bus to take workers from site to site. Shut it down right from the outset.

If people can't make their own way to another site they don't go.

Still have problems with people getting lifts to work with others. Had four self isolating for two weeks last month because one had a cough.

and it really is dishrartening when some people only seem concerned with footballers who are offered protections and mitigations us everyday workers can only dream of.

These people are a figment of your imagination. Used to win an internet argument.

I agree. There must be something we can do on here that brings us together, rather than it descending into an out and out free for all shitfight. I know banning the scousers isnt an option but there must be something?

Haha wow. You really think this has nothing to do with you don’t you?

98.8% accuracy of the tests, 10 false readings (negative or positive) out of every 800 tests. Results can also take up to 48 hours to come through meaning that there is up to a two day window for a person testing positive to still be at the training ground.

Huge risk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is clearly going to end well. The U.K. is still pretty riddled with Covid, it’s not like germany. I really don’t understand this push for football

Germany is riddled with it too, a lot of players tested positive only recently didn't they?

Germany is riddled with it too, a lot of players tested positive only recently didn't they?
How many players tested positive?

All I know is the U.K. has about six times the amount of deaths as Germany so probably that amount of cases also, and with a significant smaller population than Germany

How many players tested positive?

All I know is the U.K. has about six times the amount of deaths as Germany so probably that amount of cases also, and with a significant smaller population than Germany

Purely financial.

If finances and the risk of no tv money weren't in play, reckon they would have called it already.
But it’s ok to close the economy which is going to financially ruin this country in the short term at least probably far longer. That decision has cost 100,000’s of jobs and will see 1000’s of firms go to the wall

But it’s ok to close the economy which is going to financially ruin this country in the short term at least probably far longer. That decision has cost 100,000’s of jobs and will see 1000’s of firms go to the wall
Comes down to saving lives vs. the economy there, USA is well showing the potential risks of opening too early in certain areas.

I would hope that this pandemic would show governments / companies etc. they need to be more agile and do mass changes of scale quicker.

In terms of football, don't think there's an easy answer there. If clubs weren't so dependent on tv money etc. I'd say there'd be less of a push to restart in June, but that's the current state of things atm.

UK Covid Daily Lab Confirmed Cases.PNG

Have to say I don't quite understand the rush back to full contact training. On current trends the UK will be approaching zero new lab confirmed cases per day within the month. My guess is the league are looking at this graph and thinking 'factoring in incubation period we're probably only 1-2 weeks away from that point'. But why not wait until then? It's weeks we're talking about, not months or years. It would reduce anxiety levels, not to mention being just that bit safer for everyone involved.

On a practical level, come back too quickly while prevalence remains too high and end up with a player testing positive after a week of full contact training (even if the player was infected outside of the club), and you’re going to see entire teams classified as contacts and sent into isolation for 2 weeks, and the whole league gets put on hold anyway! Not to mention the implications if that case happens to expose a team mate with a vulnerable family member.

Whatever the league decides, I do think players like Deeney should be supported to do whatever they feel they need to do to keep their family safe. I’m sure there’ll be others like him just as I’m sure there will be some players who do feel the level of risk isn't unacceptable.

Last edited:

98.8% accuracy of the tests, 10 false readings (negative or positive) out of every 800 tests. Results can also take up to 48 hours to come through meaning that there is up to a two day window for a person testing positive to still be at the training ground.

Huge risk.
'If you start to run samples twice within the same window,' Lasarow insisted, 'obviously the accuracy is enhanced even further.'

Based on Prenetics' analysis, the chances of a single person returning inaccurate results twice in the same week is nearly 7,000 to one.

My understanding is that ^this^ is standard practice in most labs, particularly when dealing with less accurate assays.

Sensitivity is the important concept in this scenario (i.e. if a player is infected how likely is it that the test will detect it - a true positive).

The COVID PCR tests used by most labs are regarded as very sensitive in laboratory settings, but the manufacturer can't account for flaws in sample collection - e.g. the swab not being inserted far enough into the nasal cavity. Basically it largely comes down to how skilled the clinicians are at collecting and handling samples as to whether this is an issue in this instance.

The quote above regarding false readings - most of those are likely to be related to specificity (i.e. if a player is not infected how likely is it that the test will detect it - a true negative, less of an issue in this context).

Also, laboratory results only form part of the picture. The clinician will also be considering clinical signs and symptoms as well as the exposure history of the patient in forming a diagnosis. Not 100% foolproof, but there are a few safety nets there to ensure people who are infected are diagnosed and appropriately managed.

Regarding the 48 hour turn around issue, apparently a few clubs are looking at bringing in rapid COVID PCR testing kits which provide results within the hour. I suspect this will be standardised across the league, backed up by standard diagnostics.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back