Will Tom Lynch ruin the Tigers?

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
Lynch zero tackles. Zero forward pressure. He will kick some goals, but his presence means the ball comes out of the Richmond forward line a lot easier.
He doesn’t know how to play the crumbers into the game. Always goes for the mark even if he is 2 on 1 or flat footed/out of position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aramis

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
False.

It's not about "starring". It's about working well together. The fact that they've changed up their positioning, starting spots and time at the contest this year demonstrates that Ablett did not, in fact fit in straight away.

Perhaps read the post that it was in response to before prematurely spouting your mouth off like a buffoon.
Didnt even mention Ablett.

Play the ball, not the man.. can come across as a little immature.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Moderator #504
He doesn’t know how to play the crumbers into the game. Always goes for the mark even if he is 2 on 1 or flat footed/out of position.
he actually plays like a gun that is really inexperienced. He's kind of weird to watch.

Reminds me of Tom Hawkins early career.

tugga

AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tottenham,Red Sox,San Antonio Spurs
Moderator #505
I think he has started quite well at the tigers. However tigers small forwards haven’t been much chop. Rioli, costangna, Butler & co maybe feeling the adjustment. Tigers certainly not best team in AFL anymore. That was clear to see against woods.
Thought he was our best player on Thursday night, admittedly from a crop of players who were pretty ordinary.
Will be interesting to see how he goes without Riewoldt there for the next month.

hk89

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Injuries to their top level talent will Ruin the Tigers. Lynch might help them hold on to a spot in the 8. Wish we'd convinced him he'd be a better fit for Hawthorn, which he may well have been.

OhhDeledio

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chiefs
Think what may hurt them is Lynch's big deal leading to the tigers losing a lot of quality depth players e.g. sam lloyd, reece conca, corey ellis and anthony miles. These 4 players are all going to be starting in the guts of opposition sides and currently some players the tiges have kept are underperforming.
Think those players were gone regardless of Lynch coming or not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Surely Riewoldt injury vindicates the decision. Averaging 3 goals a game so far, they’ll take that.
It does. We get criticized for a lack of depth due to few injuries, suddenly we have some major injuries but have recruited some quality depth in one of those positions and still criticism.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Think what may hurt them is Lynch's big deal leading to the tigers losing a lot of quality depth players e.g. sam lloyd, reece conca, corey ellis and anthony miles. These 4 players are all going to be starting in the guts of opposition sides and currently some players the tiges have kept are underperforming.
None of those guys would be getting a game now or help the current situation, it's only round 2. The issue so far has been losing KPPs and flankers like Caddy and Houli. Those guys were perennial underachievers and all have huge limitations.

Spanish_Fly

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Its only round 2 people, this time last year Tigers were 1-1 after just being flogged by Adelaide with a percentage of 95. Seems very familiar. Not saying I'm as confident about things this year with the injuries but judging the season off one performance can make people look silly.

I also remember last year after we got smashed by Eagles about round 7 people were keen to write us off also. Lets give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks god we got Lynch we would have been really struggling with the Reiwoldt injury otherwise. I thought after a scratchy start which was expected in round 1 he started to show some good signs against the Pies. Given he would still be struggling for match sharpness 6 goals in 2 games is a great result.

Pie eyed

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Magpies
Been thinking about this one...

I can’t see him fitting into the team, nor can I see them continue to work as a cohesive unit.

One reason is the way they play, they only require one tall forward (Riewoldt), the rest of the forwards are simply role players who are there to apply pressure, run and tackle. Two forwards will hurt that somewhat.

His contract is enormous and it has already meant some players have left the club, thus hurting their depth somewhat which could hurt them if they actually have some injuries, even though they haven’t had a significant injury for two years.

Riewoldt has also taken a pay cut due to Lynch coming to the club, the kind of player and the kind of personality he has makes me think they won’t get along.
Wishful thinking.
Pretty sure he will do alright.
He needs to keep fit and injury free though for when he moves over to Collingwood.

4THAWN

Debutant
AFL Club
Hawthorn
None of those guys would be getting a game now or help the current situation, it's only round 2. The issue so far has been losing KPPs and flankers like Caddy and Houli. Those guys were perennial underachievers and all have huge limitations.
anthony miles had more tackles than half your team

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Its only round 2 people, this time last year Tigers were 1-1 after just being flogged by Adelaide with a percentage of 95. Seems very familiar. Not saying I'm as confident about things this year with the injuries but judging the season off one performance can make people look silly.

I also remember last year after we got smashed by Eagles about round 7 people were keen to write us off also. Lets give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Thanks god we got Lynch we would have been really struggling with the Reiwoldt injury otherwise. I thought after a scratchy start which was expected in round 1 he started to show some good signs against the Pies. Given he would still be struggling for match sharpness 6 goals in 2 games is a great result.
Difference is your gameplan has been found out........................... thus even making the finals is going to be a tough ask. Add a key injury like Rance and your chances of seeing Angry Anderson in a Batmobile on grand final day decrease dramatically.

AFL Club
St Kilda

Have you forgotten that you lost the prelim final? It's not like they went on to win the thing. Others like myself knew Tigers weren't as good last year due to these type of results and began to fade during the last few rounds so taking that into account you can take a lot from early losses and injuries etc. They couldn't win a game interstate for starters.

Having said that though, major injuries could happen to other good teams that may even it up a bit so watch this space.

Spanish_Fly

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Difference is your gameplan has been found out........................... thus even making the finals is going to be a tough ask. Add a key injury like Rance and your chances of seeing Angry Anderson in a Batmobile on grand final day decrease dramatically.
Everyone was saying the same thing after West Coast pumped us around round 7 last year. I'm not saying there's nothing to be concerned about, but atm too small a sample size to draw definitive conclusions. My opinion is at the moment we have executed our game plan poorly, which is more a factor than the game plan itself. Time will tell.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Lynch was good again today, 4 goals so he has kicked 3, 3 and 4.
Need to assess him when Riewoldt is back and we can properly see how they play together as intended.

Top Bottom