fpm84

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Can you honestly expect that form to be continued every match, over a course of a full season? You are deluded if you think young players can continuously keep playing to that form throughout the season.
I could have sworn that Jaidyn Stephenson, Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan all had impacts in the grand final in their first seasons.

Guess I’m mistaken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ricketz

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
If that was a **** midfield performance, then our midfield served up nothing but **** last year.
I don’t know how you can come to that conclusion, but I also don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that adding Rance, Astbury, Riewoldt, Nankervis, Lambert, Short to our team makes no more than a two goal difference so it’s a bit of a running theme with you.
Because Nankervis is a b grade ruck and would have been towelled up by Stanley.

What do Astbury, Lambert and Short add that you needed on Friday?

The ball didn't get into your forwardline after quarter time, so Reiwoldt would have added no more.

Rance may have been able to prevent an extra two goals.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Because Nankervis is a b grade ruck and would have been towelled up by Stanley.

What do Astbury, Lambert and Short add that you needed on Friday?

The ball didn't get into your forwardline after quarter time, so Reiwoldt would have added no more.

Rance may have been able to prevent an extra two goals.
1) If Nank is a B grade ruck then Stanley is C grade
2) Astbury: reasonably handy defender I’d have thought. Lambert: has been top 5 in our b&f last two years, running machine helps create outnumbers at contests. Short: did you think we transitioned the ball well off half back? I didn’t. Short is out most penetrating half back, clearly we are better with him in it.
3) We won the inside 50s, you understand this right?

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Maybe, but no special case for the Tigers compared to most teams really.
Sometimes people need to look a little further into analysis than just "X team are bad". There's usually a multitude of factors why a result happens the way it does and the players teams are missing contribute to that, as they do to all teams but there is definitely variance as to how much each team is effected.

Fadge

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sometimes people need to look a little further into analysis than just "X team are bad". There's usually a multitude of factors why a result happens the way it does and the players teams are missing contribute to that, as they do to all teams but there is definitely variance as to how much each team is effected.
What, are you saying the Tigers have injuries?

PrinceCharles

Club Legend
Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don't think it's Lynch, it's just the Tigers getting a normal run with injuries for once.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
1) If Nank is a B grade ruck then Stanley is C grade
2) Astbury: reasonably handy defender I’d have thought. Lambert: has been top 5 in our b&f last two years, running machine helps create outnumbers at contests. Short: did you think we transitioned the ball well off half back? I didn’t. Short is out most penetrating half back, clearly we are better with him in it.
3) We won the inside 50s, you understand this right?
Since midway through last year there are only two ruckman ‘ranked’ (read into that what you will) higher than Stanley. No prizes for guessing who they are.

PP34

Finals MVP
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Lynch hasn’t been great but he hasn’t ruined them.

I think they’re doing quite well considering the amount of injuries to key players. Not every team can just brush off injuries.

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
I could have sworn that Jaidyn Stephenson, Willie Rioli and Liam Ryan all had impacts in the grand final in their first seasons.

Guess I’m mistaken.
There are having impacts and playing to a high level every single match, are you saying all those players never had a bad game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fpm84

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
There are having impacts and playing to a high level every single match, are you saying all those players never had a bad game?
I don’t understand your question. Who is playing to a high level every match - the Geelong youngsters or Stephenson/Rioli/Ryan?

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
I don’t understand your question. Who is playing to a high level every match - the Geelong youngsters or Stephenson/Rioli/Ryan?
a previous Geelong poster who was claiming Richmond have no talented youth coming though and no future A-graders. Hence my posts are slightly off topic from the OP.

Last edited:

Ricketz

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, when your supporters all lead with its a VFL side and you have injuries, you get this response.

Sydney, West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn - none of them claimed that they lost against us because of injuries and playing a VFL side. Just poor losers. How about you guys give credit where it is due - we smacked you round the park and would have if you fielded your best team.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Yeah, when your supporters all lead with its a VFL side and you have injuries, you get this response.

Sydney, West Coast, Collingwood, Hawthorn - none of them claimed that they lost against us because of injuries and playing a VFL side. Just poor losers. How about you guys give credit where it is due - we smacked you round the park and would have if you fielded your best team.
That's a prediction not a fact though.
Do you think the result is the same if Tigers are close to full strength and Cats are missing 8 best 22 players? Probably not. It would be pretty biased to say it would.

There is no doubt that the with the sides that played Geelong were much better on the night, and have been better all season, but guessing what would happen if the roles are reversed is pointless so not sure why you bother bringing up if we had a full team. We didn't and the 22 we put out just wasn't good enough against the best side so far.

Ricketz

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
That's a prediction not a fact though.
Do you think the result is the same if Tigers are close to full strength and Cats are missing 8 best 22 players? Probably not. It would be pretty biased to say it would.

There is no doubt that the with the sides that played Geelong were much better on the night, and have been better all season, but guessing what would happen if the roles are reversed is pointless so not sure why you bother bringing up if we had a full team. We didn't and the 22 we put out just wasn't good enough against the best side so far.
I'm bringing it up in response to the claim that you fielded a sub par side. The implication from your fellow supporters is that had you fielded a full strength side the result would be different.

Don't turn this on me. Your poor losers supporters started the dialogue that things would be different any other day. I'm saying that's ********, and you can stop trying to defend it.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm bringing it up in response to the claim that you fielded a sub par side. The implication from your fellow supporters is that had you fielded a full strength side the result would be different.

Don't turn this on me. Your poor losers supporters started the dialogue that things would be different any other day. I'm saying that's ********, and you can stop trying to defend it.
I'm not defending anything, I'm stating the fact that we had a high number of best 22 players missing, and it's only a prediction to speculate what might have happened if the roles were reversed, but logic suggests the result would be different whatever that may be. None of that matters though.

Ricketz

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not defending anything, I'm stating the fact that we had a high number of best 22 players missing, and it's only a prediction to speculate what might have happened if the roles were reversed, but logic suggests the result would be different whatever that may be. None of that matters though.
Lol, sure, then follow it up with high numbers out - really? Rance, Reiwoldt, Astbury - the rest are fringe on form and no guarantee to play.

Excuses, excuses.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I mean, Richmond were saying mocking Collingwood's injuries all last year. Seems like Tigers supporters don't like a taste of their own medicine.
If you can show me a post where I mocked, outside of banter retaliation, I'm happy to cop it. But when someone is leading with fair discussion, trolling them for no reason is just childish.

threesixpio

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Injuries definitely matter but good teams can win a flag in spite of it - see WC in 2018 and Hawks in 2014

Fadge

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
If you can show me a post where I mocked, outside of banter retaliation, I'm happy to cop it. But when someone is leading with fair discussion, trolling them for no reason is just childish.
Ok, so when the Richmond folk were doing it all of last year, it was 'banter retaliation', but if they get the occasional taste of their own medicine this year it is 'just childish'.

Thanks, I understand now.

Do the Dew

Senior List
Feb 14, 2019
US and A
AFL Club
Richmond
Lol, sure, then follow it up with high numbers out - really? Rance, Reiwoldt, Astbury - the rest are fringe on form and no guarantee to play.

Excuses, excuses.
Pull your head out of it. Of course injuries are an excuse, we're missing some of our best players and have had no continuity in our fwd, mid, def throughout the year. Only a campaigner of the highest order (trump level campaigning) would disagree.

It's pretty silly to argue that if we were full strength that the result would have been the same. Because it didn't happen, it's all just speculation. Obviously there's a chance that it would have been the same, but a far far greater chance that it would have been a lotttt closer - just ask the bookies how much the odds change if we're full strength.

Obviously you're still jaded from losing to the Tigers 3 in a row before last week so I'll appease you. Geelong are considerably better than the team we put out last week. You're having a great run this year but prems aren't won in June, still a long way to go

And this thread about Lynch, the guy is 26, got 6-7 years left in him at the Tigers. Once he gets a full pre-season and some continuity with the team/game plan, he'll be fine. This is likely the worst he's going to be and that's fine by me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Top Bottom