Will Tom Lynch ruin the Tigers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea
I mean, Richmond were saying mocking Collingwood's injuries all last year. Seems like Tigers supporters don't like a taste of their own medicine.
But juss is not a troll? Not everyone with a Richmond badge have the same opinion on things. Don’t be surprised if that Richmond poster did not take part in trolling Collingwood’s injuries.

Rohan25

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
How many years was Lynch signed up for? Five? Front loaded??

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Ok, so when the Richmond folk were doing it all of last year, it was 'banter retaliation', but if they get the occasional taste of their own medicine this year it is 'just childish'.

Thanks, I understand now.
There's two way back and forth banter, and then there is just trolling someone who is trying to discuss football seriously.
Not every Richmond poster engaged in the banter last year, I'd prefer not to get sucked into it now, but yeh I occasionally bite back when baited. I think it's pretty childish to continually bait someone who just wants to talk footy though.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
="Rohan25, post: 61317643, member: 31707"]How many years was Lynch signed up for? Five? Front loaded??[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure how it was loaded, but apparently it was between $900k - 1mil a year and not the massive offer he was being offered to stay, so he took a pretty big pay cut to what he could have been offered at GC or elsewhere.

Given he's only 26, and will only start training twice a week after the bye, after an extremely limited preseason, I think he is being judged way too harshly. He's not at peak fitness, can't move as well, and the fatigue is probably effecting some of his impact. I reckon he will make a few critics look silly as he gets back to full fitness, but we knew with his injuries that 2019 would never be the best of what we will see at the Tigers.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lynch-s-best-ahead-of-him-as-tigers-hang-tough-20190607-p51vqi.html

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
How many years was Lynch signed up for? Five? Front loaded??
I'm not sure how it was loaded, but apparently it was between $900k - 1mil a year and not the massive offer he was being offered to stay, so he took a pretty big pay cut to what he could have been offered at GC or elsewhere.

Given he's only 26, and will only start training twice a week after the bye, after an extremely limited preseason, I think he is being judged way too harshly. He's not at peak fitness, can't move as well, and the fatigue is probably effecting some of his impact. I reckon he will make a few critics look silly as he gets back to full fitness, but we knew with his injuries that 2019 would never be the best of what we will see at the Tigers.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...him-as-tigers-hang-tough-20190607-p51vqi.html

Fadge

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
But juss is not a troll? Not everyone with a Richmond badge have the same opinion on things. Don’t be surprised if that Richmond poster did not take part in trolling Collingwood’s injuries.
There's two way back and forth banter, and then there is just trolling someone who is trying to discuss football seriously.
Not every Richmond poster engaged in the banter last year, I'd prefer not to get sucked into it now, but yeh I occasionally bite back when baited. I think it's pretty childish to continually bait someone who just wants to talk footy though.
A quick look a Juss's posting history - just refer to some of the comments in the Pies/Tigers Preliminary Final thread, before the game.

Juss, you're no angel. Don't go playing the high and mighty card.... You, along with many other Richmond posters, deserve everything you get. And more.

Captain_Bender

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
I mean, Richmond were saying mocking Collingwood's injuries all last year. Seems like Tigers supporters don't like a taste of their own medicine.
Collingwood's injuries were mocked because Collingwood supporters were trying to claim fringe players as massive outs

tiger_tough

Debutant
AFL Club
Richmond
Hit the nail right on the head

One or two injuries and a gameplan worked out by the opposition exposes their soft underbelly

Very unbalanced list with a fair few blokes now sliding downhill

A midfield with little firepower
Prestia , caddy. Just are ordinary means dusty has to play mid

Houli looks gone

Only a few can hold their head up
No rance exposes broad , vlaustin
Lost any cred when you mentioned Houli. He's never played better than he is right now

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
A quick look a Juss's posting history - just refer to some of the comments in the Pies/Tigers Preliminary Final thread, before the game.

Juss, you're no angel. Don't go playing the high and mighty card.... You, along with many other Richmond posters, deserve everything you get. And more.
Please. I just went through that history. You're comparing a bit of two-way banter where I was trying to discuss the game seriously only to be baited by a known troll in Frank Gallagher, in a gamely thread where people are pretty hyped up? And then comparing that to main board threads discussing an individual player.

For the vast majority, I wanted to discuss the game before being trolled as you can see from these posts in the same thread, but got dragged down and being baited by known aggravators like Frank, yeh I bit back a few times. I hardly think the below from the PF is someone who wants to troll. Don't paint me with the same brush, when you want to discuss footy but people respond by trolling and baiting you, occasionally you will bite back.

I'm actually genuinely nervous. Collingwood will be full of belief after being competitive with us for large periods of the game and with a stronger side on paper than last time.

It doesnt make sense to tip against the Tigers, but this is a genuine 50/50 game I think and if one side gets a few goals break momentum might carry them through. It will be a deadlock most of the day, the team that cracks it open first will win.
Theres a difference between being rightful favourites and being unbeatable. I havent heard anyone say the Tigers are unbeatable (bigfooty bravado doesnt count). If the media are saying this quote the sources, dont just base it on "the vibe"
This thread is 80% 100 year old history that no one should care about right now, 19% membership arguments and sadly only 1% talk of the biggest prelim game in a decade.
Thanks, good considered answer. Definitely a stronger side now than previously against us.
Because people for some reason need to discuss history instead of the present. Who gives a **** what happened 30 years ago? The game this week is all that matters right now.
So discussing the form lines for the game, we have a very competitive loss to the Eagles in Perth followed by a small win against the Giants without Kelly in Melbourne vs a semi comfortable 31 point win against the Hawks at a shared home ground.

I think Tigers form looks better on paper but footy isnt rock-paper-scizzors so it doesnt always count.

I did like that we were able to score 95 points in crap conditions without Riewoldt kicking a goal, and still keep our opposition to less than 10 goals kicked. I think the Pies need to be able to kick 80+ points to win this, because I dont see them restricting us to less than that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fadge

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Please. I just went through that history. You're comparing a bit of two-way banter where I was trying to discuss the game seriously only to be baited by a known troll in Frank Gallagher, in a gamely thread where people are pretty hyped up? And then comparing that to main board threads discussing an individual player.

For the vast majority, I wanted to discuss the game before being trolled as you can see from these posts in the same thread, but got dragged down and being baited by known aggravators like Frank, yeh I bit back a few times. I hardly think the below from the PF is someone who wants to troll. Don't paint me with the same brush, when you want to discuss footy but people respond by trolling and baiting you, occasionally you will bite back.
'Occasionally you will bite back'...

Just like some Collingwood supporters have this year after copping it all of last year?

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
'Occasionally you will bite back'...

Just like some Collingwood supporters have this year after copping it all of last year?
Its not biting back if you bring it up with no context when someone isn't trolling you first or even having a conversation with you, like you did in this thread to me and there's a different context in a gameday thread than this.
I don't want to derail the thread further, if you want to discuss this you can private message me, or we just let it go and move on.

La Dispute

La Dispute
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
Collingwood's injuries were mocked because Collingwood supporters were trying to claim fringe players as massive outs
Ellis, Short and Astbury aren't anything special - just good ordinary players working well in a structured, matured side.

I don't see too much of a difference tbh.

BoxMatrix

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Deontay Wilder

Dude is going back through his comments and deleting them at a rapid pace.

chunkylover53

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Lol mate the bloke is the biggest troll on this site - read through Carlton threads and all he does is bait people and add zero discussion. I had a crack at him the other day and he PM'd me telling me to 'be careful'. Absolute troll - just need to ignore him.

As for the discussion at hand and the Tigs; I've been their biggest advocates since their blitz in 2017, but I do worry they may have missed their window last year. I was on them this year but just far, far too many injuries to compete with the big boys unfortunately. Sure they are debuting a lot of kids but with Cotchin, Rance (coming back from ACL), Riewoldt all a year older will they be their juggernaut best in 2020? Lynch is a non-issue; good pick up but may cost a couple of depth players, but no big deal.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Lol mate the bloke is the biggest troll on this site - read through Carlton threads and all he does is bait people and add zero discussion. I had a crack at him the other day and he PM'd me telling me to 'be careful'. Absolute troll - just need to ignore him.

As for the discussion at hand and the Tigs; I've been their biggest advocates since their blitz in 2017, but I do worry they may have missed their window last year. I was on them this year but just far, far too many injuries to compete with the big boys unfortunately. Sure they are debuting a lot of kids but with Cotchin, Rance (coming back from ACL), Riewoldt all a year older will they be their juggernaut best in 2020? Lynch is a non-issue; good pick up but may cost a couple of depth players, but no big deal.
We definitely did miss the boat last year. Best chance the club will have for a long time to go B2B, it was ours for the taking and we just faltered when it mattered. It's the same reason why I caution that home and away form at this stage is less about performance and more about results. 7-5 and 7th on the ladder isn't the worst place to be, if we can lift later in the year.

Not that I think we will win the flag though, there seem to be sides much better at this point and not sure if that will change. We would need to get back to our best pretty quickly after the bye.

Dr Awkward

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
We will get to the bye 7-6 and then try and re-load and hit form back half of the year. I think the club will be fine with that and I still think we can do some damage in finals. But obviously for that to happen we need a good injury run from here. Would be great to throw a fit Riewoldt into the side

chunkylover53

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Carlton
Who is back before finals time for the Tigs?

Was Rance ever placed on the LTI list? Did he do any MCL or Meniscus damage? If not I'll back him to return for finals should you make it.

Gavin Excell

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
We definitely did miss the boat last year. Best chance the club will have for a long time to go B2B, it was ours for the taking and we just faltered when it mattered. It's the same reason why I caution that home and away form at this stage is less about performance and more about results. 7-5 and 7th on the ladder isn't the worst place to be, if we can lift later in the year.

Not that I think we will win the flag though, there seem to be sides much better at this point and not sure if that will change. We would need to get back to our best pretty quickly after the bye.
Do you think you would have had Eagles measure?

theyellowsash

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
I do.

Not necessarily because of a home ground advantage, but that would have been a big help. I think we match up well against the eagles. We have the talls to match them, which the pies didn't. We also struggled against teams with super midfields like the pies, giants and even dogs. The middle is our biggest weakness and teams with midfield talent like that can easily exploit it. Not that the eagles midfield isn't good, I'd say it's around our level. But where the pies 3rd best mid is either treloar or Sidebottom, ours is prestia and the eagles sheed.

When we match teams in the middle, we win. When we don't we lose. I think on the g we match the eagles. At least last year.

Fadge

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
I do.

Not necessarily because of a home ground advantage, but that would have been a big help. I think we match up well against the eagles. We have the talls to match them, which the pies didn't. We also struggled against teams with super midfields like the pies, giants and even dogs. The middle is our biggest weakness and teams with midfield talent like that can easily exploit it. Not that the eagles midfield isn't good, I'd say it's around our level. But where the pies 3rd best mid is either treloar or Sidebottom, ours is prestia and the eagles sheed.

When we match teams in the middle, we win. When we don't we lose. I think on the g we match the eagles. At least last year.
Of course Tigers supporters truly believe they would have had the Eagles measure on Grand Final Day.

In reality, their run ended a month out from finals. 3 point win over Geelong (who were eliminated in the first week of finals), training run against Gold Coast, followed by single figure wins against non-finals contenders Essendon and Bulldogs.

They then struggled to get over the line against a team who went out in straight sets, before being completely outclassed by Collingwood. Tigers were (at best) the fifth best team in it at that time of the year, after West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS.

Very similar end to the season as Collingwood's 2011, when we were thumped by 15 goals in the final round by Geelong, and then hoped to flick the switch when it counted, but struggled to get past West Coast and Hawthorn (who really should have beaten us) in our first two finals before hitting the wall in the last quarter of the Grand Final against Geelong.

Rad Roo

All Australian
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While lynch himself didn't hurt richmond but as history will tell, a bow cannot be stretched indefinitely. Getting lynch might seem to be the last piece to the richmond jigsaw in there someone is to partner riewoldt but as reality often shows, getting player A to fill in the missing puzzle usually mean a few other pieces fall off. Injuries is natural as 2017 richmond had really low injury, 2019 is simply normal. Also new players in the team might take time to gel and this will affect the overall effectiveness of the team.

Gavin Excell

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
I do.

You're probably right about matching up ok with Eagles but agree to some extent with Fadge that tigers gap over the rest of the comp was being whittled away over second half of the season

Top Bottom