Will Tom Lynch ruin the Tigers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

theyellowsash

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
You're probably right about matching up ok with Eagles but agree to some extent with Fadge that tigers gap over the rest of the comp was being whittled away over second half of the season
Agree entirely. I was one on our board who was very worried with our form towards the end of the year. We were limping over the line against generally poor teams and our midfield and it's delivery into the forwardline was a massive issue. Even last year I was saying we were no chance this year because our midfield is not particularly good and we had already had our 2 good years that teams normally have. We were never gonna be a hawks/lions dynasty team.

Gavin Excell

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree entirely. I was one on our board who was very worried with our form towards the end of the year. We were limping over the line against generally poor teams and our midfield and it's delivery into the forwardline was a massive issue. Even last year I was saying we were no chance this year because our midfield is not particularly good and we had already had our 2 good years that teams normally have. We were never gonna be a hawks/lions dynasty team.
No shame in that

Its all about taking your chances when the moment comes as tigers did so well september 2017

theyellowsash

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Of course Tigers supporters truly believe they would have had the Eagles measure on Grand Final Day.

In reality, their run ended a month out from finals. 3 point win over Geelong (who were eliminated in the first week of finals), training run against Gold Coast, followed by single figure wins against non-finals contenders Essendon and Bulldogs.

They then struggled to get over the line against a team who went out in straight sets, before being completely outclassed by Collingwood. Tigers were (at best) the fifth best team in it at that time of the year, after West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS.

Very similar end to the season as Collingwood's 2011, when we were thumped by 15 goals in the final round by Geelong, and then hoped to flick the switch when it counted, but struggled to get past West Coast and Hawthorn (who really should have beaten us) in our first two finals before hitting the wall in the last quarter of the Grand Final against Geelong.
Don't entirely disagree, before finals I wanted to avoid you and Melbourne as I knew we wouldn't win. I reckon we beat eagles and gws though.

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Do you think you would have had Eagles measure?
Not sure, but we would certainly have been a chance, hence why I say it was our best chance to go B2B that we will have for decades. Finished 3 games clear on top and had not lost at the MCG in over 20 games. That suggests at worst we would have gone in at 50/50, but more likely as favourites.

theyellowsash

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
No shame in that

Its all about taking your chances when the moment comes as tigers did so well september 2017
Indeed. The last 20 years only hawks, lions and cats were legit chances for longer than 2 consecutive years. Most teams that dis contend didn't get a flag in that 2 year window.

Tbh 1 flag is more than I ever thought I'd see anyway. 2017 came at the right time, I'd just about given up altogether and mostly lost Interest in footy. Even then I was just along for the ride in finals expecting to capitulate.

Gavin Excell

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure, but we would certainly have been a chance, hence why I say it was our best chance to go B2B that we will have for decades. Finished 3 games clear on top and had not lost at the MCG in over 20 games. That suggests at worst we would have gone in at 50/50, but more likely as favourites.
Yes definitely would have entered as favourites.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Who is back before finals time for the Tigs?

Was Rance ever placed on the LTI list? Did he do any MCL or Meniscus damage? If not I'll back him to return for finals should you make it.
Ahhhh the curious case of Rance's knee. He did not get placed on the LTI, but it's arguable there's nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing that, if he by some chance is ready to go for finals.
Where it gets interesting for me is that every time a player/coach is asked about it, they refuse to write him off. Though he is listed as 'season' on the AFL website. Also recall reading plenty of stuff about it being a 'good' ACL so minimal additional damage.

Recently we've been very conservative in returning players when re-injury is a chance, and thankfully despite a crisis caused by a freakish run with injuries, we haven't added to our woes by going against this mantra. This obviously doesn't work in favour of a return.

Overall I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be back this year - but not completely shocked given comments from the club about it.

Other than that everyone is back for finals. Seems to be in the month after the bye that everyone starts returning.

BoxMatrix

Premium Platinum
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Deontay Wilder
They are in the scheme of the role they play. They are role players who fulfill specific team needs that are very hard for anyone else to simply step in and fill the breach.
Same could be said about our "fringe" players who were out because of injury.

VernonSpots

Debutant
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ahhhh the curious case of Rance's knee. He did not get placed on the LTI, but it's arguable there's nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing that, if he by some chance is ready to go for finals.
Where it gets interesting for me is that every time a player/coach is asked about it, they refuse to write him off. Though he is listed as 'season' on the AFL website. Also recall reading plenty of stuff about it being a 'good' ACL so minimal additional damage.

Recently we've been very conservative in returning players when re-injury is a chance, and thankfully despite a crisis caused by a freakish run with injuries, we haven't added to our woes by going against this mantra. This obviously doesn't work in favour of a return.

Overall I'd say it's highly unlikely he'll be back this year - but not completely shocked given comments from the club about it.

Other than that everyone is back for finals. Seems to be in the month after the bye that everyone starts returning.
Kevin Durant will put pause to any thoughts of rushing players back for 1-2 games in hope of a flag.

Ancient Tiger

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond

The problem with our injury predicament is two fold.

One, it’s bad now and we are all anticipating returns from most players but we don’t know how many new injuries we will sustain in the last part of the season.

Two, even though the high caliber players will be returning, they will be underdone and lacking "touch". We have seen with Cotchin coming back how he can’t yet run out matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rad Roo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Same could be said about our "fringe" players who were out because of injury.
Yes you could, however the richmond ones have proven themselves in the flag year and the subsequent nearly year. 2018 richmond was the dominant team for much of the year until the PF. The little guys do matter, more often than not, then are often the reason why a team is successful but the focus is on the superstars. In our 1996 gf, it was robert scott (huh, who, exactly) who was the catalyst of our revival and eventual domination, he booted like 3 goals in 5 minutes to turn a 2 pt lead into 24 pt lead in the 3rd quarter.

Dr Awkward

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Clearly the side as it's playing right now is not a contender this season. But I still think the premiership window is slightly ajar. If you throw Riewoldt, Rance Nankervis, Astbury, Lambert, Ellis, Short, Ross back into the side it's a lot stronger. The big question is will Riewoldt and Rance be able to come back and play to their high levels.

The positive of this year is that guys like Stack, Ross, Baker have got a lot more game time than expected.

All the criticism of Lynch is pretty harsh. Guy has been hit and miss, definitely had some good games and shown what he can do.

Mr Magic

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Kevin Durant will put pause to any thoughts of rushing players back for 1-2 games in hope of a flag.
Kevin Durant would not have re-injured himself if he did not go on a tear.

Its all about self control.

If he was shaping up to hit a three or post up play here and there he probably still would be playing.

All he had to do was play within himself considering his leg but instead he had to do a Kevin Durant and hear it up!!

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea
Of course Tigers supporters truly believe they would have had the Eagles measure on Grand Final Day.

In reality, their run ended a month out from finals. 3 point win over Geelong (who were eliminated in the first week of finals), training run against Gold Coast, followed by single figure wins against non-finals contenders Essendon and Bulldogs.

They then struggled to get over the line against a team who went out in straight sets, before being completely outclassed by Collingwood. Tigers were (at best) the fifth best team in it at that time of the year, after West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne and GWS.

Very similar end to the season as Collingwood's 2011, when we were thumped by 15 goals in the final round by Geelong, and then hoped to flick the switch when it counted, but struggled to get past West Coast and Hawthorn (who really should have beaten us) in our first two finals before hitting the wall in the last quarter of the Grand Final against Geelong.
The others I agree with but we didn’t just scrape by against Hawthorn. We comfortably beat them. Had the bye and then hit the wall badly against Collingwood.

The moment I read an article by Rance about winning not giving the same feeling anymore (in the lead up to finals I think), I knew we were going to struggle. I believe that we took winning for granted when we should have fully embraced it. Oh well, you live and you learn I guess.

harrythetiger

Summited Everest 30/9/17
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Kevin Durant would not have re-injured himself if he did not go on a tear.

Its all about self control.

If he was shaping up to hit a three or post up play here and there he probably still would be playing.

All he had to do was play within himself considering his leg but instead he had to do a Kevin Durant and hear it up!!
You can’t afford to play within yourself in September though. I’d rather a flat out Garthwaite over a 50% Rance.

Milanista28

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 2, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't judge off this season, well you can I just won't, next season we will know his effect.

Mr Magic

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
You can’t afford to play within yourself in September though. I’d rather a flat out Garthwaite over a 50% Rance.
Fair enough but AFL is a different sport than basketball and arguably played with a lot more intensity.

For example you can probably play competitive darts with a broken leg.

I guess its more of a reflection of effective percentage decision making such as if your a midget don't try and fly over a ruckman to get the tap, its an exercise in futility and your better off waiting for the ball to hit the ground, or don't try to kick it 60 metres when physically you cannot kick it that far!!

Leeda

Talons B Sharp
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Ash B,Roger, Serena, Rafa, Novak,
choc full of potential... weapons raised and dynamic is worthy of leadership

Top Bottom