Will Tom Lynch ruin the Tigers?

Fadge

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lynch would not make my top 60 of Full Forwards I have seen.
I'd like to see this list of Full Forwards.
I'm very curious about who is in your top 60 full forwards. Can you post them?
The Richmond folk can't believe SoY rate's Lynch so low. How old is SoY? If he's older than 50, it's certainly not a shallow claim.

Judging from about 1980, I reckon I could approach 60 better Full Forwards, that is basing it on what Lynch has achieved to date.

Take Sydney for example. They have four clearly better - Lockett, Franklin, Hall, Capper.

My own team Collingwood - Taylor, S. Rocca, Tarrant and A. Rocca.

Richmond have Roach, Richardson and Riewoldt.

Reckon all clubs have a minimum of two, for example West Coast (Sumich, Kennedy), Essendon (Salmon, Lloyd), Carlton (Kernahan, Fevola).

It all adds up pretty quickly. Between 2 and 4 full forwards per team, I quickly extrapolate to around 50, and that's excluding the likes of Wade, Hudson, etc. from the 70's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GhostofJimJess

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't think they have the young talent that is at a lot of other clubs.
You might be right, or maybe not. It would be surprising if Richmond’s young talent was of the highest order given that they’ve gone to finals 5 of the last 6 years, thus deprived of top end draft picks. And winning a flag probably keeps potential tradees with currency attached to the list for a year or two longer than otherwise in an unsuccessful outfit.

The good thing from a Richmond point of view is that at least the potentially talented Tiger youngsters like Baker, Stack, Balta, Bolton, Naish, Ross Soldo etc are now actually getting a game, when in the past they’d be third-string replacements, after the second-string of Lloyd, Conca, CEllis, Menadue, Miles etc.

I’d expect a finish somewhere between 7th-12th from here, depending who reappears from injury and when.

Last edited:

Mister M

All Australian
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
The Richmond folk can't believe SoY rate's Lynch so low. How old is SoY? If he's older than 50, it's certainly not a shallow claim.

Judging from about 1980, I reckon I could approach 60 better Full Forwards, that is basing it on what Lynch has achieved to date.

Take Sydney for example. They have four clearly better - Lockett, Franklin, Hall, Capper.

My own team Collingwood - Taylor, S. Rocca, Tarrant and A. Rocca.

Richmond have Roach, Richardson and Riewoldt.

Reckon all clubs have a minimum of two, for example West Coast (Sumich, Kennedy), Essendon (Salmon, Lloyd), Carlton (Kernahan, Fevola).

It all adds up pretty quickly. Between 2 and 4 full forwards per team, I quickly extrapolate to around 50, and that's excluding the likes of Wade, Hudson, etc. from the 70's.
I didn't state that SoY was making a shallow claim--- I was just curious to see the list.

I know there's been plenty of great full forwards over the past 50 years-- but I'd love to see a list of it, especially when someone makes a claim like that.

TigerBoy1999

Rookie
Nov 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
I didn't state that SoY was making a shallow claim--- I was just curious to see the list.

I know there's been plenty of great full forwards over the past 50 years-- but I'd love to see a list of it, especially when someone makes a claim like that.
Hint: The number was a pulled out his ass and if he made a list it would be to try to get to that number, rather than having a list in his head first.

shintemaster

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2002
Ponderama
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha, coming from a Roos supporter. Attempting a deflection from the leagues greatest flopper perhaps? I don’t even need to mention his name, as people here who watch footy know immediately.
You got me. Lynch is a colossus cos of your great comeback. He's not as average as your entire team, cos, you know best.

Gavin Excell

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes you could, however the richmond ones have proven themselves in the flag year and the subsequent nearly year. 2018 richmond was the dominant team for much of the year until the PF. The little guys do matter, more often than not, then are often the reason why a team is successful but the focus is on the superstars. In our 1996 gf, it was robert scott (huh, who, exactly) who was the catalyst of our revival and eventual domination, he booted like 3 goals in 5 minutes to turn a 2 pt lead into 24 pt lead in the 3rd quarter.
Robert Scott?

Wasn’t it Glenn Freeborn who bobbed up with those GF goals

GhostofJimJess

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
You got me. Lynch is a colossus cos of your great comeback. He's not as average as your entire team, cos, you know best.
I wouldn’t normally descend into that puerile name-calling so often associated with the worst elements of BigFooty (and nowadays Facebook etc). In 18 years or so of posting on this site I’ve hardly ever done that - more often than not such posts are pathetic and childish and contribute nothing to robust debate. So my comeback, as you called it, was really just to call you out on what was clearly a deflection away from your own man’s floppy inclinations, a player I might add who has also not reached “colossus” level in spite of all the media hype. Akin to me calling out a Roos supporter for trotting out the tired old “Tigers finished 9th again”, when in actual fact North have finished in 9th place three times since the last time it happened to Richmond’s 2008.

Lynch may not become the player his paycheque suggests he should at Tigerland. But ask any Richmond supporter in January whether 26 goals by the midpoint of this season would be acceptable given how far back he’s come from and I’d imagine they’d take it in a heartbeat. We’re expecting better for 2020-24 though.

South of the Yarra

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hint: The number was a pulled out his ass and if he made a list it would be to try to get to that number, rather than having a list in his head first.
Hint the number wasn’t. Actually stayed on the conservative side and could have had far more. Happy to post the list later.

SdKfz 181

Premiership Player
Jun 5, 2009
Blairgowrie
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Rovers | Napoli | Victory
Hint the number wasn’t. Actually stayed on the conservative side and could have had far more. Happy to post the list later.
You should make it a main board topic, Id like to see the list, but more interested in how you came up with the number 60.. 50 or 100 I’d understand 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neese

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 29, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Norwood
Ugh Freeborns, we had one of those and he pretty well stuffed up every touch he had.

South of the Yarra

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
For those who are interested in my attempts at 60 Full Forwards better than Lynch, I will do them in increments of 20 over the next few days. Don’t have much time to sit and do them all at once. In no special order

1. Hudson
2. McKenna
3. Wade
4. Jesaulenko (yes he did kick a ton as a Full Forward)
5. Lockett
6. Dunstall
7.Ablett
8. Quinlan
9. Franklin
10. Lloyd
11. Modra
12. Sumich
13. Templeton
14. Moncrief
15. Fevola
16. Roach
17. Beasley
18. Taylor
19. Gehrig
20. Hawkins

Next 20 to follow tomorrow

Greggy

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Richmond
For those who are interested in my attempts at 60 Full Forwards better than Lynch, I will do them in increments of 20 over the next few days. Don’t have much time to sit and do them all at once. In no special order

1. Hudson
2. McKenna
3. Wade
5. Lockett
6. Dunstall
7.Ablett
8. Quinlan
9. Franklin
10. Lloyd
11. Modra
12. Sumich
13. Templeton
14. Moncrief
15. Fevola
16. Roach
17. Beasley
18. Taylor
19. Gehrig
20. Hawkins

Why are you bothering?

juss

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Competing against multiple players without Riewoldt, I thought he crashed some packs and made a good contest when outnumbered, took some good marks too.

Watch him in the second half with Riewoldt back and when he's training fully.

Fadge

Premiership Player
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

1. Hudson
2. McKenna
3. Wade
5. Lockett
6. Dunstall
7.Ablett
8. Quinlan
9. Franklin
10. Lloyd
11. Modra
12. Sumich
13. Templeton
14. Moncrief
15. Fevola
16. Roach
17. Beasley
18. Taylor
19. Gehrig
20. Hawkins

Hard to argue with any of them, and plenty more where they came from.

If he's only the second best full forward in his current team, how could anyone possibly there wouldn't be a dozen or more players ahead of him each decade?

Upgrayedd

A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace

1. Hudson
2. McKenna
3. Wade
5. Lockett
6. Dunstall
7.Ablett
8. Quinlan
9. Franklin
10. Lloyd
11. Modra
12. Sumich
13. Templeton
14. Moncrief
15. Fevola
16. Roach
17. Beasley
18. Taylor
19. Gehrig
20. Hawkins

All better. Lynch is in a team Decimated. Would Chol get a game in any other club? i know anyone on the AFL list has potential, But he's absolutely raw. Especially since it's round 13 and not "Round 20 so lets throw the rookies in to see how they do before delisting them"

Lynch is pretty good., Im not going to say he;s a top 20 FF. He;s still good. He has a few things to learn in his craf,t however he's a good player,

Greggy

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Richmond
Is he supposed to forecast what Lynch will do for the second half of his career?
No but he is, he’s comparing him to players that have finished their careers rather than at the same point. Lynch could kick another 300-400 goals in his career.

Top Bottom