Will WCE Every three peat?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

random260

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
IMO you are not respected as a club unless you achieve a three peat. Will WCE ever achieve that? A back to back at least?

What's the pathway to a three peat?

How does the club and board make it happen.

Let's take a look at the ones who have 3-peated. Other than Brisbane who had many concessions, they were all Victorian teams.
It's tough for a non-Vic team to win one, let alone 2-3.
If it's going to take another pandemic to move the GF away from the MCG, then my answer is no

I disagree with the premise of the OP though
I think we can earn respect in other ways, for example by making the finals and winning a flag more often than probability
And by being successful offield

As a long-suffering Black Caps fan, I'm especially grateful to not be a Saints or Dockers fan (for example)

With only 1 premiership every 12 years since 1994 (although unlucky in 2005), hard to see it ever happening.
Have to agree.

We had the best team over 1990, 91, 92, 93, 94 and still didn't manage two in a row. Three, just can't see a non-concession, non-vic team coming close.

Brisbane three peated on the back of the Fitzroy merger and a bunch of low draft picks when they sucked.

Geelong were one of the greatest sides from 2007-11 but couldn’t even go b2b

Hawthorn three peated on the back of assembling talent before the expansion sides came in creating a vacuum for sides needing to add talent. Also 3 home GFs against non-Vic sides helped

Richmond also benefited from home ground advantage in 2017 but still fell short of a three peat

Even West Coast fans underestimate how hard it is just to win just one flag let alone win 3 in a row

So much has to go right. For a start we probably need to finish top 2, minimum top 4 and hope we win week 1. That means 17 wins when we travel 10 or 11 times needing to win at least 50% of away games

Since 2006 when we beat Sydney, the only non-Vic teams to win a GF were Sydney in 2012 and us in 2018. The other 14 premierships have been by Victorian clubs - 7 of those against a non-Vic team on the MCG

It’s not a level playing field

The Lions 3 peat team had literally one player they got from the merger, Chris Johnson, had virtually no effect, Bears were top 4 the year before they merged.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions 3 peat team had literally one player they got from the merger, Chris Johnson, had virtually no effect, Bears were top 4 the year before they merged.

Jarrod Molloy came over and was central to the trade that landed Mal Michael

Lions did finish last in 1998. Got them Des Headland

But I concede your point

this simply comes back to the coach and the players. If you are in your window and have a strong list and have just won a premiership then discounting a big injury run then it comes down to hunger and want.
As soon as the hunger and want drops off then it's impossible to climb the mountain again.
I have always found it is not a talent issue at the Eagles but more of a hunger issue.

The infinite monkey theorem suggests that if the league is played for long enough, almost every team will threepeat, so I feel very comfortable to say yes.

Also this is an insane metric.
The sun will enlarge and render the Earth unlivable to all but basic lifeforms in roughly a billion years. So there goes that theory.

Brisbane three peated on the back of the Fitzroy merger and a bunch of low draft picks when they sucked.

Geelong were one of the greatest sides from 2007-11 but couldn’t even go b2b

Hawthorn three peated on the back of assembling talent before the expansion sides came in creating a vacuum for sides needing to add talent. Also 3 home GFs against non-Vic sides helped

Richmond also benefited from home ground advantage in 2017 but still fell short of a three peat

Even West Coast fans underestimate how hard it is just to win just one flag let alone win 3 in a row

So much has to go right. For a start we probably need to finish top 2, minimum top 4 and hope we win week 1. That means 17 wins when we travel 10 or 11 times needing to win at least 50% of away games

Since 2006 when we beat Sydney, the only non-Vic teams to win a GF were Sydney in 2012 and us in 2018. The other 14 premierships have been by Victorian clubs - 7 of those against a non-Vic team on the MCG

It’s not a level playing field
But we should shut up and not be whingers.

-mcg tenants

this simply comes back to the coach and the players. If you are in your window and have a strong list and have just won a premiership then discounting a big injury run then it comes down to hunger and want.
As soon as the hunger and want drops off then it's impossible to climb the mountain again.
I have always found it is not a talent issue at the Eagles but more of a hunger issue.
Think 93 was our best chance to achieve it & best illustration of your point....to be fair, though, 92 was the biggest mountain climbed,
whole state, boys were rockstars in Perth. Thank goodness for 94.
Almost there in 90, with everything against us.
Footy aye, gotta ride them bumps

Back