Will we ‘MCG it’ against Carlton?

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Cast your mind back 12 months, round 5 2017.

We’d started the season well - 3-1 in fact.

We’d fallen short against Richmond at the G in round 3, but weren’t awful (got to within 11 at the finish) and coming into Round 5, it looked like Hawthorn were ripe for the picking, coming off 2 shocking 80 point losses.

The general feeling was that this was the day to break through for a big win on the G - play inspiring footy and put a team to the sword.

And then on the day, the team shat the bed in epic style. 2015 GF style. Crushed by a seemingly out of form and over the hill Hawthorn side by 50 points.

The wind came out of everyone’s sails and basically, we knew no matter what - this team was not going to contend in 2017.

We were still capable of simply not showing up. Unable to fire a shot on the big stage - it brought back all that negative talk the club has had to cop since that horrible day in 2015 that may well still define the careers of this generation of players (a plucky win over Carlton on the G in 2016 hadn’t really erased those memories).

We haven’t played the on the MCG since Round 5 2017.

Has anything changed or could we yet again be ambushed by a team seemingly on its knees, waiting for the axe to fall?

This Carlton team are no Hawthorn - not even the 2017 version of Hawthorn - but I can’t help but feel that familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach that it could be a diasterous day at the office if the team hasn’t turned something of a corner.

It’s the elephant in the room, so let’s grab it by the tusks - are we better placed now than this time last year to avoid the capitulation?

Huge game for the team.

liam123

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
We will need to start we’ll thats for sure. If Carlton score the first couple of goals we might see some mental scars appear

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
We will need to start we’ll thats for sure. If Carlton score the first couple of goals we might see some mental scars appear
They lost Murphy unlikely to play against you guys , Cripps is carrying something (Just doesn't look right)Their defence is a rabble with Marchbank going down and Weitering playing so poorly . You guys will win in a canter . If you can't win this one at G Then you really do have a MCG issue.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a different team with a different mindset. I don' think the G will present a problem. Our greatly increased 2 way running capacity and experience on Optus with similar dimensions means we have removed the 2 main factors for our recent poor record there.
Expecting to give the Blues a bit of a touch up.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Wouldn’t be surprised if we get jumped early and struggle a bit but it’ll be a good test to see if the Optus dimensions have help us adapt to the G better. I’ll be there either way

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I will never be convinced dimensions of a ground play any role in how you play. It’s a good story (excuse) but at the end of the day if you turn up to play and are in the right head space we should easily account for Carlton.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I will never be convinced dimensions of a ground play any role in how you play. It’s a good story (excuse) but at the end of the day if you turn up to play and are in the right head space we should easily account for Carlton.

I'm certain it plays a part when you play a zone game style. If you train on a ground with less space then you are used to zoning less space. The effectiveness of the web was much more pronounced on the skinny Subi oval than on wider ovals such as the G. Not saying there arent other factors such as mental but the extra space certainly effects some teams and playing styles more than others.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Highly unlikely we'll drop to Carlton. This is still much the same team from the GF, with a new resolve and some new sprinkles on top, and it seems they have a point to prove, possibly to atone for the GF downslide..but if we do somehow drop this game, hey it's not the end of the world, just another weekly foot anomaly...

Gizza

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it vastly impacts how well you play, especially in regards to positioning to protect space. At Subi you can practically protect the entire wing standing 5m off the square. Do that at the G and you're leaving 40m on the outside.

Yes. We will absolutely turn in a wretched performance this weekend. Thankfully I have another sporting commitment so I will be unable to watch us turn Levi Casboult into a star.
Nah

mad_eagle

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2008
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
Have a bad feeling about this one.

Bit of a trend so far this season, teams coming off a couple of dreadful performances (Bulldogs & Essendon) have the blowtorch applied by the media during the week, then come out and surprise everyone the following week.

It's the Blues turn to cop the blowtorch this week...

Have a bad feeling about this one.

Bit of a trend so far this season, teams coming off a couple of dreadful performances (Bulldogs & Essendon) have the blowtorch applied by the media during the week, then come out and surprise everyone the following week.

It's the Blues turn to cop the blowtorch this week...
Bulldogs copped it after Rnd 1..

Back