Will we ever see 2 more clubs?

Philth

Club Legend
AFL Club
Richmond
Thread starter #1
Chatting to a mate yesterday and he sees the potential for another WA club (we live in WA). I disagreed.
Personally I think 18 teams is enough, and I don't want any more additions, ever.
So my question is, will we ever see more clubs in the AFL?
Because I honestly have no idea if the AFL are happy with the status quo, or would like further expansion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

greatwhiteshark

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Chatting to a mate yesterday and he sees the potential for another WA club (we live in WA). I disagreed.
Personally I think 18 teams is enough, and I don't want any more additions, ever.
So my question is, will we ever see more clubs in the AFL?
Because I honestly have no idea if the AFL are happy with the status quo, or would like further expansion.
Almost certainly more clubs will be added over time. Reducing clubs will safe guard the long term future but the AFL live for now and to be honest none of the head office suits care about anything other than their pay packet and what they can get now.
The future of the sport is in their hands sadly.

kid_a

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Glory, Hammarby
The AFL will definitely expand, just when is the real question.
In 2017 there was roughly 700,000 club footy players in the country and the population now is about 25,000,000.
One would assume once the club participation rate gets well beyond 1,000,000 and the greater population beyond 30,000,000 it would become viable for a couple of new clubs to come into the AFL.

I guess WA is a logical choice for a new club given it has quite a deep talent pool and is a state obsessed with footy with a growing population. Personally I dont want a third WA club, but thats just me being an Eagles fan I guess and wanting WA to just have the two clubs to share the state between themselves, thus potentially becoming just super clubs who fill (a to be expanded) Perth stadium all the time and have resources and fans coming out of their ass, like almost NFL sized clubs they could be. But thats just my selfish view on it.

A third Sydney side might work after some time if the Giants can start to win over hearts and minds in the west, the population, and thus potential audience, is growing there.

Ipso facto, as long as they do it slowly and only when the metrics add up expansion should happen, but adding any more than two extra teams in the next 20 years would be just silly imo.

Our Game

Club Legend
AFL Club
Geelong
Nine clubs have joined the league since North Melbourne. Get successful and the internet won't upset you.
I only get 7 new clubs WCE, Freo, Ade,Port,GWS, Bris and GC who are the other two?

Sydney are only the renamed South Melbourne Swans not a brand new club and of course the Fitzroy FC have gone the way of the dodo with Brisbane paying them lip service when it suits them.

Benny78

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bill Shorten
Of course we will. The only reason we see more than 12 clubs is money. Businesses like the AFL create KPI's this year it's 10 million, next decade it's 10 billion, then the following decade it becomes 10 trillion. The AFL will fail to meet these KPI's and need to up ticket prices along with add additional clubs into the league.

majortinkle

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’d aim for 23. 10 in Melbourne/Geelong 4 in Perth 3 in Adelaide 2 in Sydney 1 in Brisbane 1 in Queensland 1 in Tasmania and 1 Territories team

Works out at roughly 450k population per team in footy states and 2m per team in non-footy states

(Log in to remove this ad.)

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs
BoS suggests more teams are possibility in the future.
Canberra/Queanbeyan is estimated to be around 600k by 2031, and by 2050 will have a larger population than the state of Tasmania.
a) If they hit 600K by 2031, they'll most likely be bigger than Tas by then.
b) Bigger raw population doesn't matter much if half (or more) primarily support other sports.
c) Until GWS is able to stand on it's own feet, that territory will remain theirs, so no new teams will be created in it.

Top Bottom